Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #1

50-135 Out for Repair

So I come home this evening after reading the posts about the use of teleconverters and which ones work on what lenses. I picked up a Tamron-F 1.4 AF a couple of months ago and had not used it yet so I decided to check it on all my lenses to see which ones it worked with. Everything worked fine until I put my 50-135 on it, which is why I got the converter in the first place and nothing happened. I could focus fine in manual mode, but not in auto-focus mode. SO thinking hmmm, weird I took the teleconverter off and put the lens directly on the camera and still no luck. At this point I'm ready to scream after all spending that much on a lens you would expect it to work for more than 7 months. I went online to the Pentax web site and used their live chat support, which is a nice touch. They quickly said, send it to Colorado, at this point I'm thinking why can't I go on vacation with it, but I guess I still need to work to pay for my vacation. Tomorrow I'm off to the UPS place to ship the lens out, insured of course with a nice note to the folks at Pentax to PLEASE fix it and send it back as soon as possible. I'm missing it already.

Sorry for ranting/raving, but my wife doesn't quite understand my frustration.

03-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We feel your pain.

Jer
03-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #3

Yeah, bummer. I had a lens in for repair recently, and they had it for six weeks and it came back still broken! But I suspect you will have better luck since it's a clear works/doesn't work situation (mine wasn't), and I'd hope the 6 week turnaround is an outlier.
03-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
Six weeks seems like an awful long time for something like this. I do hope you are correct and it won't take that long. This is the first time I have had to send something to Pentax for repair so I'm really not sure what to expect. I'm just glad the lens is still under warrantly.

03-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I feel your pain - I just sent a lens to Tamron for warranty, and I miss it. Did you try cleaning the SDM contacts - from what I've read, many people have cured their SDM focusing woes by rubbing an eraser on the contacts to clean 'em (I think - you'd better do a search for details as I've never had to do this).

Good luck!
03-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I have found that cleaning and treating all electrical contacts with DeoxIT ProGold protects very well.
03-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
Six weeks seems like an awful long time for something like this. I do hope you are correct and it won't take that long. This is the first time I have had to send something to Pentax for repair so I'm really not sure what to expect. I'm just glad the lens is still under warrantly.
After allowing time for transit, call up Pentax (800-877-0155, options 2, 1, 1, 2 in that order) and ask for the repair order number and PIN. Then you will be able to obsessively re-load the repair status page (http://repairstatus.pentaximaging.com/) to see if it's done. You can also get the tracking numbers once it ships.

03-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions on cleaning the contacts. I did try it and still no luck.

rpriedhorsky, thank you for the contact information for Pentax. Knowing me I'll be obsessing about this until I get the lens back and I haven't even shipped it to them yet.