Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Best Mid Length Zoom ?

Hi, I have an FA 28-105 . I love this focal length but I'm not pleased with it's IQ and it back focusses badly. I have 2 questions:
1) What is the best non digital specific lens in or close to this focal range?
2)My lens is still under warranty do you think pentax will / can do anything about it? I have tested this lens on an istDL and a K20D as well as having my wife play with it , the results are the same, back focus. It has been that way since new , at first I thought it was me or the camera. The worst part was last weekend took it to a martial arts tournament and all my pics have the spectators in focus and the participants out!

03-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #2

Tammy 28-75?
03-25-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Usual suspects--Tamron 28-75 and 17-50, Sigma 17-70 and 24-60, Pentax 17-70, etc. I have the two Tamrons, and love them both. Practically though, the 28-75 fits my needs the better out of the two and spends way more time on my camera. It comes highly recommended on this forum.
03-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 17-50 and 17-70 are digital APS-C limited (black bars on FF).
The Tamron 28-75, Sigma 24-60, Sigma 28-70, and the latest Sigma 24-70 HSM are the best candidates.
You won't get the 28-105 if you want good image quality...read the thread below on a 17-70/2.8 for why...
If you search for "nutty" below, you'll see all the links to the 24-70 HSM reviews that I've been accumulating...

03-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
First let me say thanks for the replies. Now I knew that some would say get the 17-70 but my issue is , if I'm going to spend money on new rather than used lenses I want to be able to use them on digital or film bodies. It is highly unlikely that I'll be buying DA series lenses now or in the future.
03-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Hi, I have an FA 28-105 . I love this focal length but I'm not pleased with it's IQ and it back focusses badly. I have 2 questions:
1) What is the best non digital specific lens in or close to this focal range?
2)My lens is still under warranty do you think pentax will / can do anything about it? I have tested this lens on an istDL and a K20D as well as having my wife play with it , the results are the same, back focus. It has been that way since new , at first I thought it was me or the camera. The worst part was last weekend took it to a martial arts tournament and all my pics have the spectators in focus and the participants out!
I think the closest you will come to what you need is the FA 24-90. I have found it quite good. It was, and is, the lens that is on my MZ-S by default, as is the 16-50 on my k10d.
03-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Which FA28-105 do you have? There are two different versions, with different maximum aperture ranges. My impression is that the faster 3.2 - 4.5 version is better regarded than the slower 4-5.6 version, although I'm not sure if that's just because it's faster, or because it is consideraly smaller and lighter as well for some reason, or it's the IQ is actually better. For all I know IQ is better on the less popular one. Anyhow, if you like the focal length range, maybe the other version would make you happier.
03-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Which FA28-105 do you have? There are two different versions, with different maximum aperture ranges. My impression is that the faster 3.2 - 4.5 version is better regarded than the slower 4-5.6 version, although I'm not sure if that's just because it's faster, or because it is consideraly smaller and lighter as well for some reason, or it's the IQ is actually better. For all I know IQ is better on the less popular one. Anyhow, if you like the focal length range, maybe the other version would make you happier.
It's the 3.2-4.5 version , I'm going to call Pentax tomorrow and see if they can do anything about the back focus issue but I don't believe that even if this is a bad copy that the mediocre IQ will change.