Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I guess my best "round" lens would be the 10-17 :-) The Sigma 18-50 is where I start, though.

04-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

The DA16-45 is the most useful zoom lens and is also very good image quality wise.
It is a toss up whether the FA*28-70 f2.8 or the FA*80-200 f2.8 is the best zoom as far as image quality.
The FA43 is my most favourite lens for image quality and focal length usefulness is concerned.
The FA77 is probably the best lens purely where image quality is concerned.
The DA14 is my most used wide angle lens.

If the DA*16-50 can live up to the FA* zooms, then it will quickly be my most used and favoured lens for all round use.
04-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Well, I'd have to go with the most versatile lenses if I can only have one. I'd probably choose my Tamron 28-300, or my Bigma. The Tamron is just slightly bigger than the kit lens, and is very handy. The Bigma is much bigger, but almost as versatile with better image quality.

In practice, when I travel light, I take the Tamron, so I guess that's the "one" lens that's my best all around.
04-09-2007, 07:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Being purely hypothetical I would choose the 17-70 f4 I heard a rumour about a few months ago. The range is perfect for my style and it would probably be lighter and smaller than the 16-50 2.8 at the expense of only one stop.

Of existing lenses it would probably be the Sigma 17-70 (which I don't own but sounds like a pretty fine lens)

04-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I find it curious to see how many folks here mentioned a Tamron lens (several agreed with me about the 18-200) and how few have mentioned a Sigma lens. I don't draw any conclusions, just find it kind of interesting.

I will say that the biggest problem with the choice of a Pentax digital SLR right now is the relative scarcity of lenses. I know there are supposed to be all those great manual focus lenses available, but I haven't found 'em, and besides, I've grown a bit partial to new, auto-focus lenses. It's really a tough problem. If I had a Nikon or Canon, I'd have more lenses to choose from, but I wouldn't be able to afford them. With the Pentax, I can (almost) afford them, but there aren't that many to choose from in the first place, and many of those that are listed in catalogues aren't in stock for purchase. Not even for ready money (as Algernon's butler quips in The Importance of Being Earnest).

Will
04-09-2007, 07:50 PM   #21

50mm 1.4, but that isnt really fair since I havent used any other quality glass as of yet. And, as a poor college student that probably wont be changing for a little while.
04-09-2007, 08:41 PM   #22

Really "All Round"

Extremely useful in the many debates over "..what will be the next new thing?", would probably be the genuinely "all round" lenses used by the likes of Gypsy Rose Lee.

How much more "all round" can you get than a perfectly spherical crystal ball?

04-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Best all around lens

When I traded my DS2 for the K 10D I also got the Sigma 18/ 50 2.8EX DC Macro and I really like it but just a little more reach would be nice although I would'nt want to give up the wide angle for it. I'm thinking the Sigma 17/ 70 2.8EX DC would be about perfect for me. ken
04-12-2007, 10:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xfloggingkylex Quote
50mm 1.4, but that isnt really fair since I havent used any other quality glass as of yet. And, as a poor college student that probably wont be changing for a little while.
I'm in the same boat. My most-used and favorite lens was a Super-Takumar 50/1.4...now it's an A 50/1.7. If I could only have one lens, that would probably be it, even though it's a little long. Maybe I'll change my tune when the 31/1.8 arrives...

I've got a couple of zooms, and while they are probably more versatile, it's hard to get excited about using them.
04-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #25

I will give a strange answer here. If I was limited to only one lens, I would choose only my 31mm. Zooms are great, but I would easily sacrifice the zoom for the wider aperture so that I can shoot at night or in odd areas. I already tend to think around that focal length when composing in my head, so I really wouldn't be missing too much IMO.

This really wouldn't be that much of a change for me anyways; in the past year and a half, about 3/4s of my shots have come either from my Sigma 28/1.8 or the 31mm Ltd. I find that I just don't think in terms of zoom as much as I used to. Quite honestly, I need to retrain myself to do so.

Then again, the 16-50 does seem awfuly tempting and I am sure I could be quite happy with that.
04-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #26

If I could only have one lens?

Wow, that is a really tough call Ben... my demands are wide ranging of a lens, but.. if I had to make a decision.

75% of the time my Sigma 18-200 is on the camera, and unless I am taking architectural shots, it is my favourite all round lens. It has some distortion problems at both ends, but PT Lens does a fine job of correcting that PP.

My two other favourite lenses at this time are the amazing Sigma 15-30 EX DG for wide and architectural shots, and the Sigma 70-300 older model I bought at a pawn shop for $90, for long shots. This long lens does a super job as long as you have enough light.

I just bought the new Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC MACRO but have not had time to fully test it, but it looks the sharpest of the lot so far, so that may move up the stack.

The list is rounded out by a DA 18-55 and Rikenon 30mm F2 I found in another pawn shop for $10.

So, if I was faced with a quick decision tomorrow to go on vacation with only one lens? It woud be the Sigma 18-200 for sure.
04-13-2007, 08:03 AM   #27

If the new DA* 1:1.4 55mm has lightning fast and accurate AF and can produce the kind of contrast and color that I love about my limiteds, then I'll pick it. Right now, though, I'll have to go with the 43mm ltd. I love the "oil painting with light" that you can do with it. I know the lens has its flaws, but I mainly photograph people (usually my daughter), and its AF is pretty fast. Do the pancakes have faster AF?
04-13-2007, 08:15 AM   #28

My FA 31mm limited rarely comes off my camera. I'm getting the 77mm limited pretty soon so that may be my new favorite...not sure.
04-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #29
Forum Member

Depends...

I don't have a big collection - Pentax 10-17, 18-55, 50-200.

When traveling I find that the 50-200 is most likely to get used.

When home the 18-55 tends to be on the camera. At home I'm more likely to shoot a landscape or something that I can walk up close to.

Folks might find it interesting to do a focal length analysis - download a copy of ExposurePlot - run it on some folders.

You may be surprised that you have a big spike at either the wide or long end of the distribution.
04-14-2007, 06:55 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm with *isteve in this matter - if I only could have one lens it would be my trusty FA24-90. This is the lens that lives on my K10D for everyday use. True, I would take the DA16-45 if traveliing or the Bigma if shooting birds/wildlife, but for all-around utility and great IQ it's hard to beat the FA24-90 IMO.

Regards, Jim