Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used to dream about the 16-45mm alot but then after trying out my 24-135 on film camera, I realize I don't use 24mm all that much.

I just got a gorgeous A50/1.4 the other day from eekbay. Its been great. Haha I finally feel 'adequate'. I was raised "photographically" from reading DPR's camera reviews (I'm a tech nerd) and all Phil ever used were 50/1.4 lenses.

As for the best all round lens, the Vivtar S1 28-90mm is always in my bag nowadays. Its equivalent 42mm-135mm view is great. 42mm close to the famed Pentax Limited 43mm/1.9 pancake. My volunteer at school almost always involves people so I guess my ideal focal lengths have shifted.

I used to use the Sigma 24-135 almost exclusively until the aperture ring broke. (only functions on "A"). I still need to take it in for repair.

04-14-2007, 07:53 PM   #32
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's my favorite all-around lens:

I'd be using it every day if I wasn't worried about damaging it...

As for primes, I consider the FA* 85mm the sharpest and the DA 40mm the most convenient.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-14-2007, 09:34 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Here's my favorite all-around lens: ...

Mo, what is that lens? I can't read the info on the side very well. Looks like it says FA 28-70 f/1-2.8.

Will
04-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #34
Veteran Member

FA* 28-70/2.8

Yup...she's a beauty! Too bad pentax doesn't make them anymore. Although you still can get Sigma 18-50/2.8s from Cameta Camera for a nice $300US.

04-14-2007, 09:39 PM   #35
Veteran Member

OK, got it. FotoPete answered my question and I see now what I was misreading in Mo's photo. Thanks.

Is this a significantly better lens than the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di (IF) or the similar 28-70 from Sigma? I'm guessing it must be, but on the other hand, it's rather a whopper. You're not going to shoot with that lens without attracting attention....

Will
04-14-2007, 10:31 PM   #36
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The lens is at the top of its class optically and mechanically. It also features power zoom (a very fast power zoom compared to the other FA/FA* lenses) which is handy considering the weight of the lens. The FA* series in general puts the competition to shame

Too bad they're so expensive and so hard to find...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-14-2007, 10:44 PM   #37
Veteran Member

The lens is at the top of its class optically and mechanically. It also features power zoom (a very fast power zoom compared to the other FA/FA* lenses) which is handy considering the weight of the lens. The FA* series in general puts the competition to shame

Too bad they're so expensive and so hard to find...
and on that note, I say its too bad that they are beginning to use the * designation rather loosely now. I agree the new DA "star" lenses are pretty good spec wise but they don't seem befitting to be labeled the "*" that was given to the best Pentax had to offer.

04-15-2007, 02:15 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Holy S--T

Here's my favorite all-around lens:

As for primes, I consider the FA* 85mm the sharpest and the DA 40mm the most convenient.
Where did you get that baby?

Geeeez....
Ben
04-15-2007, 03:52 AM   #39
Veteran Member

For me it would be the new SSM version of the FA35/2... It is certainly my most used focal length and assuming the new one is optically on par (or above) I would go with that.
04-15-2007, 07:13 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I want to get that lens too. Da 35 f1.4 (hopefully) - to replace Fa 50 f1.4
04-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #41
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I was just pondering this thought. If I could only use one lens, which would it be? Now, I would allow my self the luxury of including the new "Star" series lenses.

Based on the Tokina, which the Pentax will be similar to, I would have to say for my use the 16-50 f2.8 lens would suffice for 90 percent of all of my applications.

What about you?

Ben
Just curious Ben, what would be your lens of choice if you had to choose something that is out now?
04-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Whew! just reading these postings and the wide variation of choices makes ones head spin. How would one make a informed choice out of that lot?
Personally I use and recommend as choice the Sigma 17-70. Very versatile, sharp as a tack and great as a walkabout lens. My most used lens by far.
04-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I go out with a single camera and just one lens, that lens will be the FA 24-90.

However, I had to choose just one lens to keep, it would have to be the FA* 77 Limited.
04-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #44

So a Ferrari is your choice??

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Whew! just reading these postings and the wide variation of choices makes ones head spin. How would one make a informed choice out of that lot?
Personally I use and recommend as choice the Sigma 17-70. Very versatile, sharp as a tack and great as a walkabout lens. My most used lens by far.
I second that statement, there may well be fantastic lenses out there, but if they are not available to the masses then they are like a Ferrari owner saying his personal car is a better drive than a Mini. Chevy or a Holden.

I agree with Bramela, my Sigma 17-70 DC may well be a 'Mini', but out there on the 'road' it kicks butt!! And I am not scared to take it out of it's box and use it as noted by our fearless senator MO.

Phil
04-27-2007, 09:26 PM   #45
Veteran Member

FA 31mm f/1.8. Just got it last week, and it's only come off the K100D so I can try it out with film. I don't think it's seen its rear lens cap yet, except perhaps during transit between the two.

The verdict? A fabulous "normal" on a DSLR, and even better (if that's possible) wide angle on 35mm!