Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Since the 31 is still in production, and Pentax will raise prices in Canada April 1st...and I can only assume the rest of the world will follow probably sooner than later...buy a 31 first while the prices are low, and the price of the 24 should stay somewhat stable since it's not being made anymore.

There's a thought for you

03-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Both are great lenses. I have FA24 longer then FA31. FA 24 is great wide lens, amazing colours and contrast.FA31 is great for portraits and street shots.

few shots from FA* 24
Pentax SMC FA* 24mm 1:2 Photo Gallery by Piotr Sobolewski at pbase.com

and few shots from FA 31 Ltd
SMC Pentax-FA 1:1,8 31mm Limited Photo Gallery by Piotr Sobolewski at pbase.com
03-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #18

Those are indeed two tough decisions to make. However, I would probably opt for the FA*24 b/c of the scarcity of this lens.
03-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And BTW...

for a 24mm lens it is one HEAVY SOB... the heaviest 24 I have ever seen.

The 31, while large for a limited lens, is quite a bit lighter I believe.

Cheers,
Cameron

03-30-2009, 01:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Netuser,
it's really hard to say because it all depends on personal preference.
Some people really like and praise FA*24. What I notice is the ones that don't like it are after comparing with film. So those who never shot w/film still love it.
One thing that people love the most of FA*24 is the focal length and contrast. Very versatile and never failed me when shooting in dim lights. I can use only this lens in a museum without any flash at all and hand held.

The facts that people like the most of 31Ltd is the micro sharpness and rendering which I won't deny (even though I don't have but I have 43Ltd).
What people usually don't like about 31Ltd is the focal length which is a little bit awkward on digital SLR.
This is also what stopped me from getting 31Ltd. I might get the 77Ltd first since I like the focal length for portrait.

I personally choose FA*24 over 31Ltd because:
- I like the focal length
- If I don't like it, I always can sell it but I cannot always buy it anytime I want like 31Ltd.
- Moreover it's a Pentax * lens, you will love the color & contrast. Even my 43Ltd doesn't have the contrast like FA*24.
- I love the bokeh

One day I might buy that 31 Ltd and 77 Ltd also .
Meanwhile, I'll just concentrate on practicing my skill using 540 flash.
I would completely support your post. I have both lenses and just used the FA 24 last week-end for a low light concert shoot - and it performed very well. The flare problem, sometimes cited, is not detectable in the lens I have (and rock concerts are really demanding in terms of flare with all the hard colour spots around). Otherwise I also cannot say anything about colour rendition and I have been using this lens, for the last 14 years or so. It is fast and has a very versatile focal length and is a joy to handle with the integrated AF/MF clutch.

The FA 31mm sees much less use, than I expected, but it is a very fine perfomer with a beautiful image rendering quality. It is a bit less sharp, than my FA 35/2 in the center, bit the overall image quality is just more beautiful.

I do not really prefer one lens over the other. The simple decisive question is, which focal length better suites your photography.

Ben
03-30-2009, 03:45 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm on the hunt seems hard to find one.
03-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I'll sell you mine...

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
I'm on the hunt seems hard to find one.
Ten grand...

Worth the search - a truly GREAT lens.

And boa tard, man (forgive my spelling) - I toured Portugal with a Brazilian/Portuguese band back in the 80's - never got to the Azores, though. Those buns, and that homemade cheese every morning - man! Nothing like it. Nazaré, Battalha, the 'Terra de Pedre' - incredible place. Gotta get back there sometime.

Cheers,
Cameron
03-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Ten grand...

Worth the search - a truly GREAT lens.

And boa tard, man (forgive my spelling) - I toured Portugal with a Brazilian/Portuguese band back in the 80's - never got to the Azores, though. Those buns, and that homemade cheese every morning - man! Nothing like it. Nazaré, Battalha, the 'Terra de Pedre' - incredible place. Gotta get back there sometime.

Cheers,
Cameron
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Seems we can manage something

Get a flight to the Azores and finish your trip to Portugal.

Bring the lens and I "will let you use them" and I even can tour you to spots. Before you leave you sell the lens to me by a fair price

Do we have a deal ?

03-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Here's a handheld shot with the FA*24 f2

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Seems we can manage something

Get a flight to the Azores and finish your trip to Portugal.

Bring the lens and I "will let you use them" and I even can tour you to spots. Before you leave you sell the lens to me by a fair price

Do we have a deal ?
Sounds fabulous, man! Soon...

Here's a shot:

From the 'People' gallery.

Cheers,
Cameron
03-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #25
jeffkpotter

Another demented question. 31mm no @#!&(*& doubt!
05-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
Another demented question. 31mm no @#!&(*& doubt!
FA 31 is doing well and FA 24 will arrive soon