Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FA 24mm or FA 31mm ?

If you could buy only one of them which of them would you choose and why ?

03-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

FA* 24mm/2

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
If you could buy only one of them which of them would you choose and why ?

Easy,
get the FA* 24mm/2 first since it's no longer in production
and next time you can still always get the FA 31 Ltd
03-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hard choice, but...
I already have 31ltd, so now I'm looking for (and saving for) 24*
but they are hard to find...
BR
03-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
hard choice, but...
I already have 31ltd, so now I'm looking for (and saving for) 24*
but they are hard to find...
BR
What do you consider a good price for FA 24mm ?

03-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
axl
Inactive Account

hard to say as they are very rare in UK...
frankly I don't have big idea how much does it go for, but I'd be prepared to pay around 400, but I really don't know how much do they go for now....
BR
03-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I would like to find one for $200.

They are about $500-600, so not much less than the "old" price for the FA31. At this level, I would look at trusted sources more than cheapest price. Based on price, some negative comments on the FA24 vs. universal love for the FA31 and used vs. new, I would pick the FA31.
03-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

With these two choices, I would simply go for Fa 31mm ltd.

Fa* 24mm f2 is a lens not for everyone. It is a bright lens but it tends to cast yellow hue to images themselves. Colour reproduction is not great in well lit environment. Its performance in the dark or shadow areas is far more superior than its optic rendering in the brightness.

The lens is prone to flare. Even with the hood, it is still a problem

Contrary to what people said about unsharp corners, I do not believe that as a problem. This lens is reported to be a beauty on films but I did not find it that way. Again, it is the colour reproduction issue that made me sell the lens.

Its bokeh is surprisingly nice and good. I do not mind this lens being used for portrait in fact. However, not something I would like to use for a long term purpose.

Fa* 24mm f2 Images

Regarding Fa 31mm ltd, there is enough said about this lens. A very capable one. High contrast, punchy colour and the micro-contrast is superb. Colour reproduction is very accurate and I love this lens very much.

Fa 31mm ltd images

I would rather stick with Fa 31mm ltd.
03-26-2009, 12:57 AM   #8
axl
Inactive Account

not too many pics in that 24* gallery James, clearly not one of your favourites. The only problem at the moment is that FA*24 and Sigma 24/1.8 are the only two AF 24mm primes for K mount, or am I wrong here?
Please prove me wrong and I'll be more than happy to admit since I can't find any of those two above in London and I really don't want to go for A24/2.8 (simply because my eyes + original focusing screen and 24mm FOV don't make for good AF system)

BR

03-26-2009, 03:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have forced myself to use Fa* 24mm f2 and took it as the only lens to many trips. But this lens was really not a lens for myself.

I love sigma 24mm f1.8 and I just bought one 3 days ago. I used it for street It is a very fast prime with fast and accurate AF on k20d. The colour is somewhat lacking in landscape shots but for short distance candid or portraits, this lens has stunning colour and contrast. The shadow details are somwhat lacking form sigma 24mm f1.4 though

When I first post my thread about how good Fa* 24mm f2 in this forum two years ago, I did not listen to Allan and a few film shooters here. I bought it and regretted owning it. I even tried it on films quite a number of times.

p.s. Peter, I have canon 24mm f1.4 L to use on 5D. So I am not too worried about selling it
03-26-2009, 05:02 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I used to have them both, now I have only the Limited. I must confess that FA24 is not a stellar lens, considering the actual improvements in wide lenses technology. It was good on film but it failed to convince me on digital (in terms fo contrast, definition, vignetting - the image is "leaking" on corners regardless the aperture). Instead it has fine colors and somewhat good bokeh (not always).
I sold it a year ago and bought the 16-50/2.8. And I don't regret this move.
03-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by huqedato Quote
.....I must confess that FA24 is not a stellar lens, considering the actual improvements in wide lenses technology. It was good on film but it failed to convince me on digital (in terms fo contrast, definition, vignetting - the image is "leaking" on corners regardless the aperture). Instead it has fine colors and somewhat good bokeh (not always).
You guys are not helping

I have already DA 12-24 (and a several other good lens).
My point on getting FA 24 and 31 is because I started with Fa 50 1.4 and just love it, then to FA 77 and the same applies, great lens.... so I was thinking about getting FA 24 first since it's the one harder to find and then FA 31...

Now I'm starting to think on only get the FA 31mm....

Hard decisions!
03-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You guys are not helping

My point on getting FA 24 and 31 is because I started with Fa 50 1.4 and just love it, then to FA 77 and the same applies, great lens.... so I was thinking about getting FA 24 first since it's the one harder to find and then FA 31...

Hard decisions!
Netuser,
it's really hard to say because it all depends on personal preference.
Some people really like and praise FA*24. What I notice is the ones that don't like it are after comparing with film. So those who never shot w/film still love it.
One thing that people love the most of FA*24 is the focal length and contrast. Very versatile and never failed me when shooting in dim lights. I can use only this lens in a museum without any flash at all and hand held.

The facts that people like the most of 31Ltd is the micro sharpness and rendering which I won't deny (even though I don't have but I have 43Ltd).
What people usually don't like about 31Ltd is the focal length which is a little bit awkward on digital SLR.
This is also what stopped me from getting 31Ltd. I might get the 77Ltd first since I like the focal length for portrait.

I personally choose FA*24 over 31Ltd because:
- I like the focal length
- If I don't like it, I always can sell it but I cannot always buy it anytime I want like 31Ltd.
- Moreover it's a Pentax * lens, you will love the color & contrast. Even my 43Ltd doesn't have the contrast like FA*24.
- I love the bokeh

One day I might buy that 31 Ltd and 77 Ltd also .
Meanwhile, I'll just concentrate on practicing my skill using 540 flash.
03-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

You guys are not helping

Hard decisions!
I think you need both

Tough decision, which I went through myself. I bought the 31 after the 77, and love it for a lot of things, but I prefer the 24mm focal length and its FOV on digital.

24mm is my ideal focal length for general use, and it's true there aren't too many options (especially AF options).

I ended up getting a 16-50, which is a fantastic lens, but the 24 still calls!
03-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I had both FA*24 and FA31 at the same time, along with the 16-50. I preferred the Focal Length of the FA*24, but overall find about 28mm as ideal for walking around.

I shoot raw and my general observations were that the FA*24 did not keep up with the FA31 in terms of sheer resolution, but had very good contrast, almost the same as the FA31. The FA*24 did respond well to sharpening, however, so once processed, I could get a similar look, with more sharpening applied the the FA*24 than the FA31. The FA*24 did fall apart a bit in the corners, but ONLY noticeable when shooting something which covered the entire frame, like a building up close. Most photos, though, there is foreground and background and only a portion is in the DOF area, so everything else looks out of focus anyway.

The FA*24 also liked being stopped down a lot more than the FA31 to obtain similar results, so one issue I had with the lens, was that even though it was an F2, I did not get quite as good results, especially in a museum or the like at F2 to F4 as I did with the FA31.

The FA*24 also had a certain yellow cast to the images. I understand that there was one molded resin optic within the lens, and perhaps these indeed do yellow over time, as opposed to glass. Side by side, at the same color temp setting, the FA*24 was much more yellow than the FA31, and I did need to adjust that in post, once I did, it was only barely slightly noticeable, so the second, and third issue was yellow cast, and possible longevity of the optics.

I ended up selling the FA*24, as I did find the 16-50 was every bit as good as the FA*24 at 24mm, and the 16-50 had the nice DA coloring that I liked very much. The FA*24 was worth more being sold than it was worth in my pack. I wound up, however, missing the 24mm focal length quite a bit as a prime. So I recently bought a Sigma 24mm AF Super Wide II off the marketplace, so I will see how that compares to the FA*24.

here's a couple of images from the FA*24, nice though...

I imagine that the 12-24 you have will be very capable in comparison, I'm not sure how much total use you will get from the FA*24 between F2 and F4, unless of course you really want to use a prime instead of the zoom.

Last edited by augustmoon; 03-27-2009 at 11:43 AM.
03-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #15
Pentaxian

What???...

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
With these two choices, I would simply go for Fa 31mm ltd.

Fa* 24mm f2 is a lens not for everyone. It is a bright lens but it tends to cast yellow hue to images themselves. Colour reproduction is not great in well lit environment. Its performance in the dark or shadow areas is far more superior than its optic rendering in the brightness..
I have used this lens extensively from back in the film days, in studio shots, product shots, at gigs, concerts, weddings, and for landscapes and nature shots and have NEVER found that to be the case. It is a superb optic in every sense, including colour rendition.

The lens is prone to flare. Even with the hood, it is still a problem.

Strange statement: it is one of the LEAST flare-prone wide-angle lenses I have ever used.

Contrary to what people said about unsharp corners, I do not believe that as a problem. This lens is reported to be a beauty on films but I did not find it that way. Again, it is the colour reproduction issue that made me sell the lens.
I find it to be absolutely magnificent both onfilm AND in the digital realm.

Its bokeh is surprisingly nice and good. I do not mind this lens being used for portrait in fact. However, not something I would like to use for a long term purpose.

Fa* 24mm f2 Images

Regarding Fa 31mm ltd, there is enough said about this lens. A very capable one. High contrast, punchy colour and the micro-contrast is superb. Colour reproduction is very accurate and I love this lens very much.

Fa 31mm ltd images

I would rather stick with Fa 31mm ltd.
The 31mm IS one of the greatest optics ever produced by anybody, period, but the FA* does not exhibit any of the things you mentioned for me. Maybe yours has a faulty MTF chip, or there's something stuck on one of the contacts or something - sounds very strange.

But we're both entitled to our opinions. Like your shots, btw.

They are BOTH truly superb lenses - I would imagine the 31 to be mind-bogglingly good.

Cheers,
Cameron