Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: England, Essex
Posts: 5
Super Multi Coated TAKUMAR

One of my lenses I am trying for portraits in my re-commisioned Spotmatics is a 135 f2.5 Super Multi Coated TAKUMAR
I cant remember reading anything about this lens and how it is rated with regard to its performance, my example is unmarked, is it a rare beast?

03-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,864
QuoteOriginally posted by alanworland Quote
One of my lenses I am trying for portraits in my re-commisioned Spotmatics is a 135 f2.5 Super Multi Coated TAKUMAR
I cant remember reading anything about this lens and how it is rated with regard to its performance, my example is unmarked, is it a rare beast?
It's one of the best 135mm lenses, particularily in screw-mount. There are two S-M-C versions. They have a part number stamped into the bottom (camera side) of the auto/manual switch. The better one is 43812, but 43802 isn't that far behind. The 43812 version was carried over into K-mount, and there's a thread down a bit from that lens.
03-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by alanworland Quote
One of my lenses I am trying for portraits in my re-commisioned Spotmatics is a 135 f2.5 Super Multi Coated TAKUMAR
I cant remember reading anything about this lens and how it is rated with regard to its performance, my example is unmarked, is it a rare beast?
not even remotely. well..maybe slightly more so than the more common 3.5 135, but neither 135 is rare in any real respects. the 35, 50, 55, and 135 are among the most common Takumar lenses. the 3.5 135 being the most common in the mild telephoto. our lens review database can be very helpful regarding your questions. Pentax Lens Review Database - 135mm F2.5
03-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: England, Essex
Posts: 5
Original Poster
Just had a look, and it is the 43802 variant, any idea what the difference between the two numbers is?

03-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by alanworland Quote
Just had a look, and it is the 43802 variant, any idea what the difference between the two numbers is?

after a bit of research, apparently they changed the optical formula a few years before the switch to k mount. a 6 element in 6 group optical formula. so I assume it is the same as the K mount 2.5


the 43812 is supposedly a better performer because of this, though I doubt that has been established. I don't know how many of the 43812's were manufactured but I suppose that could make the 43812 a somewhat rare version. though I suppose my original statement is correct regarding your particular lens. all in all the 135 2.5 is an excellent performer, better than the 3.5 but both are excellent and very sharp lenses.
03-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Nick Siebers's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,152
Hey - I have a 43812! Learn something new every day. :-) It is a great lens.
03-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,864
QuoteOriginally posted by alanworland Quote
Just had a look, and it is the 43802 variant, any idea what the difference between the two numbers is?
That version has the same formula as the Super-Takumar 135/2.5. I had a Super-Takumar and a 43812 version, and could not see any difference in a sharpness test on digital. The biggest effect is on resale - everyone will want to know which version and sale price will be a bit less.

Even the Super-Takumar is a very good lens. It gets lumped in with the Takumar Bayonet K-mount because people assume they are both single coated, but the Super-Takumar is way better in the corners at wide apertures.
03-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
A Proud PENTAXER !!!
fwcetus's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New England
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,213
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Hey - I have a 43812! Learn something new every day. :-) It is a great lens.
And then it just happens to be a member of a very select trio of superb lenses. The K 135/2.5 - and the optically identical ~latter~ (43812) SMC Tak 135/2.5 - share the same optical construction as do the K 200/2.5 and the A* 200/2.8. No other Pentax lenses besides these three have this 6 elements in 6 groups design:

K 135/2.5 and latter SMC Takumar 135/2.5 -


K 200/2.5


A* 200/2.8


I've called the K 135/2.5 (and, of course, the latter SMCT 135/2.5) "the poor man's A* 135/1.8" for a number of years now - <g>.

03-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
A Proud PENTAXER !!!
fwcetus's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New England
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,213
Differences between S-M-C Takumar 135/2.5 models

43802 - Manufactured 1971-1972
43812 - Manufactured 1972-1975

43802 - 5 elements in 4 groups
43812 - 6 elements in 6 groups

43802 - Same optics as older Super-Takumar 135/2.5 (1965-1971)
43812 - Same optics as newer SMC Pentax (K) 135/2.5 (1975-1985)

43802 - 80 mm long
43812 - 85 mm long

43802 - 455 g mass
43812 - 470 g mass

43802 - DOF scale says "22168 81622"
43812 - DOF scale says "22 16 8 4 8 16 22"

43802 - First metric number (closer than infinity) on focus scale says "30" (m)
43812 - First metric number (closer than infinity) on focus scale says "35" (m)

Last edited by fwcetus; 03-25-2009 at 08:31 PM.
03-26-2009, 05:55 AM   #10
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
that's some serious in-depth info. you know that by heart or you have an internet source?I would like the source(s).


QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
43802 - Manufactured 1971-1972
43812 - Manufactured 1972-1975

43802 - 5 elements in 4 groups
43812 - 6 elements in 6 groups

43802 - Same optics as older Super-Takumar 135/2.5 (1965-1971)
43812 - Same optics as newer SMC Pentax (K) 135/2.5 (1975-1985)

43802 - 80 mm long
43812 - 85 mm long

43802 - 455 g mass
43812 - 470 g mass

43802 - DOF scale says "22168 81622"
43812 - DOF scale says "22 16 8 4 8 16 22"

43802 - First metric number (closer than infinity) on focus scale says "30" (m)
43812 - First metric number (closer than infinity) on focus scale says "35" (m)
03-26-2009, 06:22 AM   #11
A Proud PENTAXER !!!
fwcetus's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New England
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,213
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that's some serious in-depth info. you know that by heart or you have an internet source?I would like the source(s).
;-) Good question - <g>. No, not by heart. I basically went to my best reference for the lenses in question, which is "The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide 1952-1977" by Gerjen van Oosten, published in 1999. Page 205 is all about 43802 (which van Oosten refers to as "Super Multicoated TAKUMAR 1:2.5 / 135 mm [Model I]"), while page 206 is all about 43812 ("... [Model II]"). A fantastic screwmount resource...
03-26-2009, 06:45 AM   #12
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
;-) Good question - <g>. No, not by heart. I basically went to my best reference for the lenses in question, which is "The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide 1952-1977" by Gerjen van Oosten, published in 1999. Page 205 is all about 43802 (which van Oosten refers to as "Super Multicoated TAKUMAR 1:2.5 / 135 mm [Model I]"), while page 206 is all about 43812 ("... [Model II]"). A fantastic screwmount resource...
I shall be purchasing this book, thank you very much.
03-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #13
A Proud PENTAXER !!!
fwcetus's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New England
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,213
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I shall be purchasing this book, thank you very much.
Unfortunately, I have some bad news for you (unless you are "in the right place at the right time") - apparently the book is out of print, and available copies seem to be in high demand.

In another thread ( https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/54920-electro-...s-2-black.html ), I mentioned that:

"Wow - I couldn't believe the price on the one (used) copy available through Amazon.com (from one of their sellers) - $446.22 !!! I found a handful of other copies online, too - one was a new ("absolut neuwertig") copy for $276.81, while the other ones were used copies for $297.70, $675.27, $1,119.01, and $1,123.20 !!!"
03-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #14
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: England, Essex
Posts: 5
Original Poster
Wow! I have learned more about my lens in the last couple of days than I did in the last 30 years!
Thanks to everyone.
03-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Motown
Posts: 316
Just FYI. I usually use this internet resource to get Pentax M42 info:
AOHC website
The M42 lens is at here: Lenses
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, multi, pentax lens, slr lens, takumar
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Super-Takumar 28mm f/3.5; Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135mm f/2.5 (US) deadwolfbones Sold Items 1 07-11-2010 09:08 PM
SMC Takumar VS Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50/1.4 RolloR Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 05-08-2010 06:38 AM
Wanted - Acquired: Pentax 105mm f:2.8 Super-Multi-Coated or Super Takumar raymeedc Sold Items 0 11-24-2009 10:05 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:39 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top