Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2009, 08:56 AM   #16

Mine was this.

I had my camera, laptop, and some other stuff in my school bag, and I was on campus. Put the bag down, took the camera out and wandered around a little trying to get the best angle. Fair number of students, etc., in the area.

I looked back and.... NO BAG!!!!

I had walked past a mound of snow without noticing. The bag was on the other side.

03-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
@Mike.P

poor you ..what lens was it?

One of THESE.
It actually went off yesterday along with a few other lenses to see if anything can be done. Hopefully it can because it was my first ever lens for my K10D and I have become rather attached to it.
03-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I was trying to repair my Sigma 70-300 APO. When trying to remove one of the screws attaching the mount, i had to put lens facing table (plastic surface) and push really hard against the screw (it was very tight). Then the lens violently popped away hitting concrete wall right next to the table. Then i realized its about to fall-hit copper heat pipes. By trying to stop it with my feet in a lame way i managed to kick it all over my room, helplessly watching it hit the floor and roll back to me like a piece of plastic junk.
All in a fraction of second. What a feeling.. .

First whew was after checking that all glass is intact. Then i managed to non-violently remove all the other screws, see there is nothing else to fix, than cleaning A contact and putting it all back:
Inbox Foto (foto.inbox.lv)

And it still takes some boring pictures!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 

Last edited by ytterbium; 03-26-2009 at 10:37 AM.
03-26-2009, 10:33 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Last Christmas...family loaded up the CRV and we went to grandma's house. I waited til last to put my camera bag in the back since I'm the only one who knows how to pack.

The bag had pretty much all my lenses and all my film gear (pre-ME-S) including the Fuji ST801 and Yashica GSN so it weighed a good 20lbs. Everything I owned was in this bag but the K10D which was in for service.

We arrive at grandma's house and my brother opens the rear door and I hear a bag fall from about chest level to the frozen gravel driveway.

Without looking, I knew what had fallen.

But...everything was ok inside and thankfully, not even a lens cap was broken.

That's my OH SHIT moment

03-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why yes, I do know the feeling!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/55177-i-bent-my-wookiee.html

Fortunately everything still works OK, and I just need to pick a time to send it off and have the body shell repaired. Problem is, with a photogenic one-year-old running around the house, there's never really a GOOD time to be without for a few weeks.
03-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in late '84 or early '85 I was taking some photos at a college party and climbed up on top of a vending machine for a better vantage point. I had set my K1000 w/flash down for some reason and bumped it, sending toward the tile floor - in slow-motion, of course - about 6-1/2 to 7 feet below.

Through either extreme luck or divine intervention it landed in a wastebasket filled mostly with empty plastic beer cups. I had to dry it off and clean the lens but there was no damage and I still use it today.

And just today I dropped a 100mm/f4 SMC-M macro lens about a foot to the floor. Thankfully the floor's carpeted and the lens was encased in bubble wrap - I was taking it out of the box after having it repaired!

Brad
03-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I picked up my K100d with FA 20-35 on it and started to walk away without unplugging it from the computer. Sad to say, I lost the tug of war, and it dropped in slow motion to the hardwood floor. Bounce bounce bounce... but everything was ok. Won't do that again! For a few weeks.

Just getting into photography I took my K1000 to Italy with me on my honeymoon. Packing light I took only one lens, a Sakar 28mm, which was completely frozen when I unpacked my bag - aperture stopped down 100%, all the time. It was about 3 months old. And I'm in Venice for 2 days only, with my lovely M 50 1.7 sitting at home, no other camera. Gut-wrenching.

But the first day, wandering around, I passed a little camera shop. Sure enough, they had an M 28/3.5 in the window, their only Pentax lens (I think, not much English spoken there, not much Italian here). I almost cried with happiness. I still have the lens... and the wife.

03-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #23
Forum Member

I got two:

First was when I was in the mall once I happened upon a camera bag store for the first time so I went it and tested a few bags. Since I had a significant amount of gear with me at the time I proceeded to place them in one of the crumpler photo backpacks. I didn't have any money to buy anything so after testing I got my stuff back in to my own bag and went on my merry way. A good 5-10 minute walk later for a reason I can't remember I decided to check my bag and I noticed a lens was missing! I took me a couple more minutes to realize that I left it in the bag I tested. I rushed back to the camera store and luckily the bag was still there and my lens was still inside!

The second is probably not as dramatic. I keep my lenses and camera in an airtight lock n lock container when not in use. One time I pulled my camera out but it seems that the strap was somehow wrapped around my Sigma 17-70 and it dropped a good waist height, I think it even bounced. I tried it and it still seemed to lock focus and nothing seems to rattle. Was able to take some nice photos with the lens during my last vacation. But sometimes when zooming in and out there's a point where the zoom seems to 'bite' into something. I'm thinking its either dust or worse something did get chipped when I dropped it.