Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ever have one of those gut-wrenching moments?

Saturday I spent a little time at a local bog, a very quiet place. Normally the lens I leave on my camera is the 16-50, but at the bog I was using my 10-17 and the 12-24. When I came home I took the 10-17 off my camera only to find that the 16-50 wasn't in my bag! My guts just churned, thinking I'd set it down at the bog to change lenses and forgot to pick it up. After a 10 minute frantic search, I realized that I'd removed the lens BEFORE I left, and it sat on my desk. As thankful as I was, I was equally disgusted with myself and my lack of short term memory.

03-25-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Luckily the term Best One Gone has returned to just BOG! Nice shot, by the way.
03-25-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've done worse, I borrowed a 5d and lenses for a shoot when i had no camera and left one of the L's sitting on a wall, at head height, next to a public foot path.

I drove 5 mins away before i turned back and found it still sitting there.

And this is on the beach and even though not busy at the time you'd still get 20 people go past every 15mins!
03-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i went for a movie with my girlfriend, and do a lot of shopping while i carrying my helmet and jacket because i riding bike. i had my camera bag with my panasonic prosumer with me too. so at that moment i was little bit busy with my hand. i had dinner and went to a rest room then we went home.

at home, i put a alot of bag and helmet and jacket on my sofa. then had some drinks. after a while im freak out knowing that the camera bag not on the sofa. after spent five minutes shaking and calling my girlfriend asking about my camera bag, my eyes stuck on that bag still hanging on my bike.

stupid memory lost!!

and that only my prosumer..what if it happened with my k10d?

Last edited by fearview; 03-25-2009 at 09:34 PM.
03-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great photo of the bog!

I have not had a gut wrenching moment, yet, but I am sure there will come a day!
03-25-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I watched someone drop a 5D with a 300/2.8 onto concrete. Somehow the camera landed on an attached L-bracket and sustained no damage at all.

Different kind of gut wrenching moment but you should have seen the look on the guys face
03-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

In Australia, a bog is the toilet. Now that would suck if you lost your camera down there!

03-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Nowhere near as significant, but a few months back I had taken my FA* 24mm out for the day and thought I had lost the lens hood. Not the end of the world, but not having a complete set can take away from resell value and I was pretty pissed at myself.

Turns out after I got home from the day that I had, in my wisdom, removed the lens hood *because* I didn't want to lose it and had left it in my camera bag at home...
03-26-2009, 01:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
In Australia, a bog is the toilet. Now that would suck if you lost your camera down there!

Actually I think a toilet might be preferable to losing a lens in this soup!
03-26-2009, 04:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Left one of my favourite lenses on the side next to the window a few weeks ago.
We had a terrible storm during the day with very heavy winds, I was outside when there was a massive gust and I saw the window crash open inwards.
Didn't think anything of it until I went inside and saw the lens on the hard tiled floor.

No exterior damage so thought I had got away with it but on mounting to the K10D I realised it would not lock focus on the wide end and everything was OOF if it locked on something nearby.

Gutted.
03-26-2009, 05:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I don’t have an “ OH s**t, I dropped or left a lens behind moment” but I think this one qualifies. My story goes back to my film days. Rick Hansen was doing his "Wheels in Motion" crossing Canada in a wheelchair for charity and passed through our town. It was –30 C that day as I positioned myself to catch him silhouetted against the sky coming up the overpass. The light was perfect as I blasted away with my MX/winder combination. He later spoke at the local arena to a gathering of students. I was close enough to see the filthy rags of adhesive tape he used to protect his hands, They were hanging down like dirty icicles as he gripped the wheel and I thought wow that image tells the whole story. I zeroed in on the hands and top of the wheel. I took multiple shots. I was certain I had nailed the shot. I arrived home later that day only to find the leader in the film canister had ripped off due to the cold. I suspect I lost the two best shots I ever took that day. The images are still burned in my mind but I have no evidence.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 03-26-2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: typo
03-26-2009, 05:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Tom,
your vivid story of that day makes us imagine the picture, which is just as good really.

I recently dumped my K100D on the floor, inside of a soft bag onto carpet floor. Strange stomach feeling, but got lucky. The camera case popped open below the big display but no cracks. I immediately popped it back in with a knife. Now there's some dust on the inside of the display, everything else is still OK.

Fingers crossed, Georg (the other)
03-26-2009, 06:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple of years ago I was shooting some "urban" landscapes for a publication. Driving all around town and at one stop, I discovered that my *ist-D's viewfinder eyecup was missing. I knew it as a bit loose and sometimes before I've had to slide it down 'cause it was about to fall off.

After looking in camera bag and inside car for a few minutes, I couldn't find it so I decided to drive back to the last photo spot on my shooting route, about 10 miles away. I arrived about an hour after I was there. I started walking around and trying to remember all my steps. After about five minutes I found my eyecup, right in the ground, slightly hidden under some dry leaves.

Anyway, just about 4 months ago, my beloved wife while using the istD, managed to repeat the story, but this time without luck. Thank God my local Pentax dealer had a replacement for sale.
03-26-2009, 07:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

@Mike.P®

poor you ..what lens was it?

@rburgoss

a dedicated effort for an eyecup

i salute you.
03-26-2009, 08:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Tom,
your vivid story of that day makes us imagine the picture, which is just as good really.

I recently dumped my K100D on the floor, inside of a soft bag onto carpet floor. Strange stomach feeling, but got lucky. The camera case popped open below the big display but no cracks. I immediately popped it back in with a knife. Now there's some dust on the inside of the display, everything else is still OK.

Fingers crossed, Georg (the other)

Thanks Georg,

The sad part is I can't hang an 8x10 memory on the wall.

Tom G