Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2011, 12:54 AM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
*sigh* so many forks in the road. so many potential bad turns and pitfalls. how does a Pentaxian make it out alive??? Or maybe more specifically, the wallet of a Pentaxian... I just tried out the 1.8/55 this evening. phwoarrr!! I need to fix the CIF thing though. It's driving me nuts not being able to use it on these m42s! sooo many blurred photos...

11-09-2011, 12:56 AM   #242
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I am kind of lost here... You have a Fujinon 55/3.5 Macro lens in m42 mount but the register distance is not 45.46mm? If the mount is m42 then putting on an m42 to PK adapter to the lens should allow you to shoot at infinity.
I havent try this lens at infinity after the mod, but I guess it can. I have done tests with and without the tube at close distance, and it is a very good performer. My macro photos are all at f22 or f32 with close flash distance (10cm/3inches) at 1/64 power to max the DOF. There is 1mm metal sticking out that prevent the lens to mount on pentax bodies that I have to dremel'ed away - so it should give infinity.
11-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #243
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
There is one other option of course.
Regarding flash and controlling light,
I have a dozen (or more, lost count) manual flashes and 5 newer p-ttl. Personally I use only manual flashes or modern flashes in manual mode only, regardless of what lens I use.
Manual lenses and advanced flash control function can be solved in firmware, but I guess pentax will save the best for their upcoming bodies - less likely that they cannot do it - some time i need second/rear curtain synch when using a manual lens.

Flashes and light modifiers can be addicted too, be careful not to rush in this area. However my manual flashes are cheap 10-15usd each, or follow a lens lot, the radio receiver 15usd each. Controlling light means you can shoot with the sweet spot of (almost) any lens.

Sample photos (no need PP):
hoanpham's Album: Flash fun - PentaxForums.com
11-09-2011, 01:15 AM   #244
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
sooo many blurred photos...
You need a split screen, perhaps a set of shims to calibrate the focus.
I cant live without, and i dont trust CIF at larger apertures - typical from f1.8, no trust at f1.4, and absolutely no trust at f1.2

11-09-2011, 01:17 AM   #245
Pentaxian

your kids look very sweet hoanpham

so far i have two flashes. one is a sunpack that came with a body but the base looks chipped/broken so no idea if it will even work - or even how to test it.

the second is a pentax honeywell fan type flashy thing. looks amazing and mint, but i think the thing in the center is missing? not sure. i may (or may not) have more. there's a box of odds and ends in the spare room that i haven't delved into. the more i think about it, the more i think i probably do have other flashes... but can't be bothered getting off the couch to find out. i'm pp'ing the puppy walk atm and omg. i know i've been saying it with every m42 lens so far, but I am in lurrrrvv!!

The depth of field in the 1.8/55 is sooo much better than the razor thin 1.4 or 1.7. and the bokeh... *swoon*
11-09-2011, 01:19 AM   #246
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
You need a split screen, perhaps a set of shims to calibrate the focus.
I cant live without, and i dont trust CIF at larger apertures - typical from f1.8, no trust at f1.4, and absolutely no trust at f1.2
I think I had my lens on at a dof of 2.8. it's hard to tell when i accidently screwed it on sideways.

gawd.. do I really need to invest in the split screen? How much is that going to set me back? I still need to take my kx for a run. I'm too skeered to touch it. It's sooo advanced... skeered I'll break it. or fall in love and not go back to my beloved k100d. me of so little faith eh?

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 11-09-2011 at 01:27 AM.
11-09-2011, 01:28 AM   #247
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
The K28/2 is on my wish list. but first the DA15 since I need the wide angle.
I dont have many DA, Ltd or FA. The DAs I have are zooms 12-24, 50-135, 55-300. plus FA50/1.4, FA77 and FA85

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I find the K24/2.8 somewhat ordinary compared to the all around excellent pentax lenses. It's good but not exactly similar to the rest of your list.
I also have the Ensinor24/2.8 with close focus, which I like better than the K24/2.8 - as sharp or sharper, closer, as good color, as good flare resistance or better.
The K28/3.5 too, impressed me for it sharpness, and so the K30/2.8 which is an awesome lens - very easy to use, long focus throw, razor sharp wide open.
I have sample photos in my picasa for these.
11-09-2011, 01:30 AM   #248
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
At least you still have a quest to complete.
You've got to have a dream
If you don't have a dream
How you gonna have a dream come true?

QuoteQuote:
Not sure how it ends up, but most likely with some plastic light weight, or superzoom P&S, or expendable/recycle P&S.
Oh, I already have those. This is for something completely different: A pocketable kit. I already have 3/4 of it, with a stand-in for the last: the Loreo Lens-In-A-Cap 35/11 shift lens (30g). But wider would be better, and a couple 28sby Ricoh and Vivitar have been suggested.

My inspiration is my old Pen-FT (half-frame 35mm SLR) kit: body, flash, 28-40-100mm Zuiko lenses, all fitting into one pocket of my field jacket. And a wind-up Canon / Bell & Howell Dial-35 in a trouser pocket. And a Canon Demi-EE17 in a shirt pocket. Maybe the tiny original 1934 Kodak Retina too. And a few hand-loaded carts of Kodalith and Panatomic and Plus-X stuffed into any available spaces, along with batteries and a light meter, just in case. A pocketable kit, eh?

QuoteQuote:
Seems to me like an LBA controlling tactic: Set an unclear/unreachable goal!
Yes, that's a dynamic self-discipline trick. Attainable goals have a problem: Once achieved, they must be succeeded by more goals, or else we petrify and/or decay. The impossible goal can lead us on forever with little wasted but time and effort. Unless that goal is finding the BEST lens by trying all possibilities. That becomes expensive. Ouch.

11-09-2011, 01:39 AM   #249
Pentaxian

The depth of field in the 1.8/55 is sooo much better than the razor thin 1.4 or 1.7. and the bokeh
Yes it is. different optic design may be. Tak55/1.8 is still my fav. I have the Mamiya Sekor 55/1.4 in M42 that also have a thicker DOF. I think all my sample photos for the mamiya is at f1.4 - long focus throw, very easy to use.

How much is that going to set me back?
jinfinance split screen on my k20 = ~30usd, spot right on, no shim needed.
katzeye with optobrit on my K5 = bought used, but around 160 usd, plus a set of shims from pentax US ~20usd, plus calibration work.

ironically, i like the cheap split screen better. it is just easier to use.
11-09-2011, 01:43 AM   #250
Pentaxian

hrm. $30 sounds.... reasonable. getting pretty close to my comfort zone.

Having said that, I'm enjoying the challenge of shooting manual. going through my pics atm i'm surprised at how many keepers there are. i was expecting a 2-5% keeper rate and i'm closer to 5-10%. must be that magical DOF.

I might keep this split screen malarky at the back of my mind in case I come across something...

QuoteQuote:
I have the Mamiya Sekor 55/1.4 in M42 that also have a thicker DOF. I think all my sample photos for the mamiya is at f1.4 - long focus throw, very easy to use.
You do realise what you're saying hoanpham, right?

You're justifying to me why I need to buy every range of lens in other brands as well as the Pentax brand. Because each lens has different character......... and they all need to be explored, understood and appreciated...

and here I was thinking, I already have a 1.4, I don't need another etc.... how silly was I in my ignorant bliss?
11-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #251
Veteran Member

You're justifying to me why I need to buy every range of lens in other brands as well as the Pentax brand. Because each lens has different character......... and they all need to be explored, understood and appreciated...
And someday you'll have 50-100-200 Fifties also. All those 50-55-58mm f/1.2-1.4-1.7-2.0-2.8-3.5-4.0 lenses await you, calling out enticingly, irresistibly. Chinon, Cosina, EL-Nikkor, Industar, Komura, Mamiya, Meyer-Pentacon, Petri, Porst, Rikenon, Tomioka, Vivitar, Yashica, Zeiss. Resistance is futile.
11-09-2011, 02:08 AM   #252
Pentaxian

I already have a 1.4, I don't need another etc....
I found Pentax M50/1.4 and A50/1.4 more difficult to use, not to mention manual focus using FA50/1.4.
The nikkor50/1.4 is ok, same same feeling when i use it, may be a bit better but not significant.
The Mamiya55/1.4 is different.

Pentax glasses are safe bet, but now they become more expensive so I have to get other brands ;-)
I wont say no if I have a chance to try nikkor 50/1.2, but I have a priority list within nikkors: DC optics, ED glass at long focal, floating elements, fast glass, long focal macros... whatever match my price range.
11-09-2011, 02:25 AM   #253
Pentaxian

I toyed with the idea of getting some nikkors. but my experience with that minolta (or at least i *think* it's a minolta) with the lens falling off in my hands despite turning it in the socket freaked me out.

Fair enough abt trying other brands if you can't afford your own. that's why I own some off brands like the miranda and the ozunon. Having said that, it's def. not stopping me from scrounging for the bargains.
11-09-2011, 02:53 AM   #254
Pentaxian

if you can't afford your own
Not really. I think I have the most of pentax MF lenses. but i got them a while before the price came up.

Nikkor DC optic is same as pentax's soft focus optic. the nikkors are widely available but not pentaxs.
Also K series was pre-ED elements. Nikkor ED was a dream 30 years ago, but now widely available.
The nikkors accumuated over the years, while pentax has limited number.
I would go for optics that are not available in pentax line, either fast glass or different optics.
11-09-2011, 03:01 AM   #255
Pentaxian

i'll go for anything if it's cheap enough...

there goes that rumour mill again..