Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #286
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't think you can use flash with manual lenses and any of your bodys except one way. The flash can only fire full power. You would just have to keep dropping the aperture and shutter untill you get the right exposure (there is most likely a limit how fast you can go on the shutter, mine is 1/180th sec). Try stopping down a lot and then it may be a matter of doing the calculations (I never shot film so I never learned how to), or just trial and error till you get the right exposure. If you are at your smallest aperture and fastest avalable shutter speed and its still to bright then you just can not use flash (perhaps an external flash bounced might work, I don't know). The ist series bodies were the last series that had a ttl sensor in the body, and therefor could meter with a manual lens. I do not know if you can use the internal flash on an ist (at least I havent figured out how to yet but I havent tried that hard), but I know for a fact that you can use an external flash with a full manual lens and it will meter properly. Try your camera with flash on an A lens or an auto focus lens and see if it exposes corectly then? Keep in mind that there is a limit to how fast the shutter can fire with flash (1/180th on mine) so you most likely will have to set the lens to A and let the camera have control of the aperture, or at least set it to A and change the aperture through the camera so that it knows what aperture you are shooting.
I somehow missed this post initially

Flash you say on oddball lenses (or M42 and K mount for that matter) Works just fine and meters perfectly thank you very much. Just get an *istD or DS. they support both P-TTL and TTL flash. One very big reason why I still have and use an *istD

the other reason is I never sell anything so add the K10D, K7D and K5D to the list as well. How do you spell CBA???

11-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #287
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I managed to sell my 3rd k100d body and a lens with it. Yaaay! My reserves are already looking a lot healthier. Now to cull what I already own and sell off all the doubles..... If I can get it down to the ones that really "speak" to me, and hopefully make a little profit I might even walk away with some "lens" money..... *gets hopeful*
11-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #288
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
I managed to sell my 3rd k100d body and a lens with it. Yaaay! My reserves are already looking a lot healthier. Now to cull what I already own and sell off all the doubles..... If I can get it down to the ones that really "speak" to me, and hopefully make a little profit I might even walk away with some "lens" money..... *gets hopeful*
save a few hundred for an *istD

If for no other reason than it supports TTL flash as well as P-TTL, so you can do metered flash shots with all the old lenses you are getting.
11-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #289
Pentaxian

. . .

I already own the k100d and the kx. Can I really justify an *istdD? That's three bodies, and I'm barely working with 2 atm...

I might keep it in the back of my mind for later when prices drop even more? I'm still working on other things... not quite yet ready for the flash curve

I'm just pleased that I've gotten my ebay bids down to 2 and soon I might even have none.. *gasp*

Am I *finally* reaching the end and seeing the light?

11-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #290
Pentaxian

Am I *finally* reaching the end and seeing the light?
Actually, no...

There are so many area within photography that I haven't been through.
You are just at the beginning of a very rewarded journey :-)

As for the flash curve,
It may be the cheapest regarding investment to gears, and I found it among (if not) the most interesting path.
11-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #291
Pentaxian

. . .

I already own the k100d and the kx. Can I really justify an *istdD? That's three bodies, and I'm barely working with 2 atm...
Given the features of the *istD and TTL metering I would trade gladly SR of the K100 for the *istD. This is especially true since you also have a kx
11-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #292
Pentaxian

hrmm... interesting idea lowell.... will think on it. not sure i'm prepared to give up my k100d, so will keep an eye out for cheapy *istDs
11-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #293
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
So you'll never want an A50/1.2? Noted.
Well, I don't want one now but "never" is an awfully long time. I suppose it's possible I'll relapse but, if I do, I'll follow my prescription: buy the ones I want and then stop..

11-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #294
Veteran Member

I'm not sure about the differences between the ist-d and the ist-ds though I have not found any major drawbacks of the ds compared to the d. I have the ds and there are more limitations than just shake reduction. Its 6MP so you are limited on doing a lot of cropping (depends on print size of course). It has no back focus adjustment. It doesn't have shake reduction. High iso performance is terrible (800 is usable though grainy, 1600 is pretty bad and 3200 is horrible). With that said, its still a very good camera. It uses AA batteries so you can carry plenty of extras cheap and use alkaline in a pinch, though it sometimes has issues being picky with batteries. It uses sd cards so you can get large cards cheap (only supports up to 8GB?). Its not fast but its not terribly slow either. Its small so it makes a good carry camera (I'm not sure how it compares to newer models but if I'm not mistaken, it was the smallest dslr of its time). It has a ttl sensor so external ttl flashes can meter with manual lenses (not sure about the onboard flash as I have not got it working right yet with manual lenses but I haven't tried much). I have been very happy with it. It's low iso performance is very good all things considered. The only reason I want a newer body is for the high iso performance (much cheaper than a bunch of fast glass and what fast glass I have gets really fast). The other newer features are extra perks but not enough to make me upgrade. I strongly suspect that even when I get a newer body, I will still keep the ds.
11-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #295
Pentaxian

Ripit. My recommendation of getting an istD or DS was as opposed to a K100. Since all are 6mp cameras using the same sensor and all use AA batteries much of your arguments are not relevant to my recommendation. Additionally the issues with high iso are also irrelevant. I was recommending it largely to get flash metering, where you can shoot low iso, and not deal with the grain you seem so concerned about

Mybcomment was largely based upon exchanging an istD or DS for the K100 since the istD and DS can do something wolfiegirl's k100 and kx can't do. Getting more features in a system is worthwhile even if the cameras are a little old and slow
11-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #296
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Ripit. My recommendation of getting an istD or DS was as opposed to a K100. Since all are 6mp cameras using the same sensor and all use AA batteries much of your arguments are not relevant to my recommendation. Additionally the issues with high iso are also irrelevant. I was recommending it largely to get flash metering, where you can shoot low iso, and not deal with the grain you seem so concerned about

Mybcomment was largely based upon exchanging an istD or DS for the K100 since the istD and DS can do something wolfiegirl's k100 and kx can't do. Getting more features in a system is worthwhile even if the cameras are a little old and slow
I was just trying to comment on some of the good and the bad about the ds. I wasn't aware that the k100 was that close to a ds (I guess it is kind of old too). The ds is the only pentax body I have owned. I have only done general research not specific to one body so far concerning getting a new one so I only know some generalizations between new and old ones (and I guess the k100 falls closer to old).
11-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #297
Veteran Member

So, did you make a little profit or did you have to take a small loss?
11-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #298
Pentaxian

a little profit. i bundled it with another lens and a battery charger that came with my kx. (i already had 2 chargers).

still need to clear out all the dud lenses though.