Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
mmmm single malt my weapon of choice is Cardhu from the Spreyside region of Scotland

03-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I admit, I'm an addict.
Since last November (Yes, I'm a "noob"), my family grew up to 8 little babies-lenses and 6-7 parent cameras.
It became worse since I found the Pentax Forum.

in the beginning I was laughing about LBA. Yeah, I always had this love for mechanical stuff (Mechanical Engineer myself), but now I come to realize it's more serious. Whenever I visit a new city (quite often, aamof), I do research in advance for vintage camera stores.
It became a real quest.
The LBA Quest
03-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

You know you're an addict when you develop a computer script that continually scrapes the craiglist sites in the top 10 metro areas for the keyword "pentax" and sends text messages to your iphone that contains the text of the posting plus a link allowing you to mail the poster immediately if so desired. And scrapes the text of each posting, not just the title pages, because sometimes people just post "35mm for sale" titles.

Awesome - mine used an input file so I could grep for certain words and exclude others . I only ran mine against the local area and only found the occasional m-50/2s and the like - and mine just sent me regular email ...
03-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Awesome - mine used an input file so I could grep for certain words and exclude others . I only ran mine against the local area and only found the occasional m-50/2s and the like - and mine just sent me regular email ...
Neat! Mine was perl with curl module on ubuntu. I just hardcoded a $Lookfor and $Exclude regexp variables in the script itself, good idea to have an input file for that.

It was kinda worthless to look at all the other locations, because people usually want to stay local on CL, and if it's a good deal they go fast there anyway.

03-26-2009, 10:02 PM   #35
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
f/0.95? That's silly.
Try f/0.70:
Barry Lyndon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's the one! ...scene lit by candles to a level of 3 candle power... actors were told to move as slowly as possible. It's all coming back to me now.

I knew someone would know! You get the gold star Thanx much.
03-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I am RioRico, and I am a lens addict. My sig used to list a few lenses. Not all of my lenses (last count: 150), just a couple dozen. But I have been pondering some treatments for LBA, and some cures, and their likelihood of success.

CURES: Death, coma, total paralysis (probably); blindness (possibly); penury (surmountable).
TREATMENTS: Electroshock (probably); hypnosis, conditioning (possibly); abandonment (nope).

Yes, it's pretty grim. But there is a way to ameliorate and live with LBA. It's called DIY. Do not purchase finished lenses; grind them yourself, or assemble them from scratch. In a thread on another site, this was posted, in a discussion of using enlarger lenses on bellows for general photography:
All enlarger lenses have aperture rings. But other kinds of lenses can be fitted to an M42 bellows, as long as you have an M42 ring in which to mount them. You can use cheap M39-M42 adapters from China or Ukraine, usually a buck or two each. Edmund Scientific and other optics suppliers sell all sorts of simple or complex lenses, cheap. Just bare crafted glass, nothing else, meant for homebrewing, experimenting. You can cannibalize old round (or not-so-round) eyeglasses, and elements from LF lenses, and many other lenticular chunks of (somewhat) clear glass or plastic, just to try out, to see what happens.

To get any sharpness with such glass, you need to make your own aperture discs. Some old and current Russian fisheyes, and Lensbabies, use such discs, which can be as simple as thin black plastic blanks with a hole (circular is good but not mandatory) cut in the center. Check online and you'll find formulae for f-stop per focal length and hole size. Mount the disc behind the lens in the bellows or tube and have at it.

These non-enlarger lenses will NOT provide Fine-Art Photography results. Even with a lens hood, you'll get odd distortion and light effects, rather Lomo-like. With some, especially with wide glass, large aperture, and a focus ring, you can achieve f/0.5 or so, faster than a speeding bullet, softer than a rotten tomato. Shrink the aperture a little, you can get an 1855 feel.

Too much modern photography is based on marketing and gear-obsession. Try DIY homebrewing. A bellows is a great test-bed to try out weird sh*t: A frontdoor fisheye security lens! Bubbled glass! Kaleidoscopes! Grandpa's spectacles! Fresnel lenses! Thrift-shop binoculars, telescopes, toys, old folder cams! Anything you can tear apart with bent glass in it! It's all grist for experimentation.
03-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #37

RioRico, u sure do take it to a whole new level of homebrewing ur lens. I guess u ran out of lens to buy (all 150 total lenses wow)...

03-27-2009, 12:05 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Well, like I posted elsewhere, if you want to own a lens faster than f0.8, you got 21 hours to bid on this:

Zeiss Jena 50mm f/0.77 M42 or Nikon F w/ incl. adapter - eBay (item 150334257759 end time Mar-27-09 21:38:51 PDT)

:-DDDDDD
03-27-2009, 01:09 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I'm having an episode now... someone offered me a nice Epson RD-1 (the kind of camera I've been wishing for years Pentax would make), for a ridiculously low price (it sells around $1500 used, body only. I'll be paying much less, about the price of my K100d when I got it new.) With 4 batteries, a Luigi half case, an L/61 50/2.8 lens (russian) and a Leitz 40/2 Summicron... a very good deal. But now, I'm jonesin to get a VC 21/4 and a VC 75/2.5 for it (a sorta pancake limited set-up). I've let myself think it through the past week, but no such luck... I'm going for it.

LBA (and CBA) has consumed my soul!!!!
03-27-2009, 04:19 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I must confess that I am at the moment waiting for two Vivitars... Kiron and komine made... The one I can justify (still denying LBA on this one) as I don't own a fast 28mm... the other is pure LBA... it was just to tempting to try the 200mm 3.5 an see if it likes the company of the Super-Tak 200mm...

I DON'T EVEN USE 200mm THAT OFTEN! I'M A WIDE ANGLE KIND OF GUY!

Well there you have it... I have confessed... can we start the treatment now so I can get out of here, there's an auction ending soon...
03-27-2009, 05:41 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
I'm having an episode now... someone offered me a nice Epson RD-1 (the kind of camera I've been wishing for years Pentax would make), for a ridiculously low price (it sells around $1500 used, body only. I'll be paying much less, about the price of my K100d when I got it new.) With 4 batteries, a Luigi half case, an L/61 50/2.8 lens (russian) and a Leitz 40/2 Summicron... a very good deal. But now, I'm jonesin to get a VC 21/4 and a VC 75/2.5 for it (a sorta pancake limited set-up). I've let myself think it through the past week, but no such luck... I'm going for it.

LBA (and CBA) has consumed my soul!!!!
As your sponsor I order you to buy that Epson!!!!

The greatest thing about being a Lens Buying Addict is that you don't have to quit drinking!

Oh, and something about photographs...
03-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #42
Veteran Member

falling off the wagon?

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Well, like I posted elsewhere, if you want to own a lens faster than f0.8, you got 21 hours to bid on this:

Zeiss Jena 50mm f/0.77 M42 or Nikon F w/ incl. adapter - eBay (item 150334257759 end time Mar-27-09 21:38:51 PDT)
NOW you've done it!! Almost 15 hours to torture myself about this - how high will the bidding go? Do I have a chance? Dare I stay up till midnite here to see the results? Must I be tied to a tree outside to resist temptation? Ay yi yi!!!

Or more prosaically - Can this actually be fixed onto a K20D for useful usage? In the reversed non-macro position, how can this fixed-focus goodie be manipulated? I'm envisaging lashups involving a short black PVC pipe with a PK mount, the lens set within that for push-pull focusing, maybe the pipe-lens join wrapped in black plastic. How can I get these DIY images out of my head? HELP ME! HELP ME!! Tell me it ain't possible, that I can't get there from here!
____________________________________________________________________________________________

QuoteOriginally posted by ltdstar Quote
RioRico, u sure do take it to a whole new level of homebrewing ur lens. I guess u ran out of lens to buy (all 150 total lenses wow)...
Actually I started doing this long long ago, with my first T-mount bellows on my Olympus PenFT half-frame 35mm SLR. I was in the Army then, in Kansas, with a not-huge budget. I found various chunks of cheap glass that I could stuff into the bellows lens mount. If the above-mentioned superfast Zeiss 50/0.7 can produce 'abstract' pictures, so could my bastardizations. And so many materials are available - it'd be a shame to let them go to waste, eh?

Last edited by RioRico; 03-27-2009 at 07:07 AM.
03-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #43
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
My name is Jeff K. Potter and I am ashamed to admit that I am a Lensaholic. LBA has destroyed my ability to think rationally and practically. I am optically obsessed to the point of insanity. It threatens my well being and has demolished my bank account. My wife and friends shun me, and I actually sleep with my lens collection as I can not bear to be separated from it for long. I know I need help. That is why I am taking the lead and creating LBA Anonymous! In these troubled times of great economic uncertainty children are starving and loyal wives are collapsing in despair all because of Lens Buying Addiction. Women are forsaking their husbands for lenses. The evil empires of Japan, Viet Nam, China, and Germany are prospering at our expense because of rampant uncontrollable lens buying. The traffic of illicit Commie lenses from the former Soviet Union is debasing our national morality. I personally lie awake at night fantasizing about the Leica Noctilux F0.95 lens pictured below. A lens that will never fit on my Pentax camera, but MY GOD F0.95!!!! It only costs $9995.00! Why can't I have it!?
Please support LBA Anonymous now and give your own testimony. I, and many others, need your support.

Do you think you would take better photos if you have this lens ?
I'm sure you wouldn't!
If you are a real photographer you will do best photos with 50mm or just 18-55. Believe me, I'm a doctor!
03-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #44
jeffkpotter

QuoteOriginally posted by huqedato Quote
Do you think you would take better photos if you have this lens ?
I'm sure you wouldn't!
If you are a real photographer you will do best photos with 50mm or just 18-55. Believe me, I'm a doctor!
Yes, I certainly would take better photos with that lens handheld at night. There's absolutely, positively no doubt! However my post is only a joke in case you didn't catch that.

"Believe me, I'm a doctor! Trust me I'm a Politician!"

Last edited by jeffkpotter; 03-27-2009 at 08:21 AM.
03-27-2009, 08:09 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
As your sponsor I order you to buy that Epson!!!!

The greatest thing about being a Lens Buying Addict is that you don't have to quit drinking!

Oh, and something about photographs...
Good! Now I can justify my purchase! (was actually scouring the net for the Pentax 43 limited in Leica M-mount to use with the Rd-1... dang are they expensive! Thrice what they cost in K-mount!

That 50/0.77 zeiss looks mighty tempting... must resist... must... not... give...in...