Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #91
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Monochrome--shouldn't you have included another photo to show the lens you used to take THAT photo?

And Jim, same thing:

I only have 17 lenses, but I cant remember what the heck I have.

03-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #92
Ira
Inactive Account

And I admit to this:

I once went giddy on eBay bidding on a Tak 55 F1.2, only it wasn't. It was an F2.

The punctuation screwed me up, so I now I have 50/55 Taks in 1.4, 1.8 and 2.
03-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ira: Under normal circumstances, yes.

The photo was taken with an Optio A40, bought at close-out prices from Amazon last December. I used it once or twice and boxed it up. The image counter read IMGP0098 when I put it away.

I gave it to my wife for her birthday. I felt it really didn't qualify as my LBA, since I gave it away.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Monochrome--shouldn't you have included another photo to show the lens you used to take THAT photo?

And Jim, same thing:

I only have 17 lenses, but I cant remember what the heck I have.
03-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, I'm Steve and I'm addicted to buying lenses. I have a need, a need for speed. However, I'm willing to settle for a little lens with a measly maximum f stop of only f/5.6.

03-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
LOL - same exact rationalization I used last week - now waiting for a Vivitar Series I 28-105/2.8 - no sense in PayPal gaining interest on MY money...
Said lens arrived today, and it has the dreaded Ricoh pin! Telltale sign was "PK-A/R" marking on aperature ring. Oh well, uncrewed the lens mount, popped out the pin, reassembled and took some test shots inside of five minutes. Glad I inspected it first...
03-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Anyone else out there find that lens acquisition is just as much if not more fun than lens ownership?

I mean, it's irrational, but when I look at my shelf of lenses sometimes I just see "sell this, and I could buy that."

And then I hit ebay, or the marketplace, or CL and find something that sets everything in motion.

Craziness!

03-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Anyone else out there find that lens acquisition is just as much if not more fun than lens ownership?

I mean, it's irrational, but when I look at my shelf of lenses sometimes I just see "sell this, and I could buy that."

And then I hit ebay, or the marketplace, or CL and find something that sets everything in motion.

Craziness!

I think it's Lens Buying Addiction for a reason

03-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Makes you wonder just how many times each lens has been bought, sold, resold...

LSA - Lens Selling Addiction

Now THAT would be one LONELY club!
03-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the "Shoot with what you have" post Peter Zack surmises that every M50/2 ever made has been bought and sold at least once.

It seems like no one actually uses the M50/2 any more, even if it is a fine lens - they just get stuck onto cameras that are being sold by ebay scarfers who buy cheap, clean and resell.

I'd guess I have had 5 that came attached to cameras I wanted. I cleaned them and attached them to cameras I was selling.
03-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #100
graphicgr8s

I don't have LB A and I can quit anytime I want. I just don't want to.
03-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #101
Veteran Member

LSA - Lens Selling Addiction

Now THAT would be one LONELY club!
No, that's a place we call Marketplace
03-29-2009, 02:32 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
will work for lenses!
Mate.!..??? lets not get toooo hasty here...
03-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #103
jeffkpotter

Ah, as this venerable thread sags into oblivion I have these thoughts and questions:
Do you buy just to collect, like an old woman aquiring decorative lamps to feed her obsessive compulsive disorder, or do you actually use the many lenses you buy? Or are you more like the following : " I spent the dogfood money on a M lens and had to sneak Scruffy table scraps for weeks because or LBA," or "I put aside considerable cash in anticipation of of our anniversary but bought a really cool lens instead. The cover-up was excruciating but well worth it."
What about the lesser, but equally pernicious affliction LABA,"Lens accessory buying addiction"? No one dare speak it's sordid and shameful name. Are you relentless in buying lens caps ,filters, adapter rings, and teleconverters? Why have we not heard from anyone with this sad affliction? Many of my questions have been solidly answered by this thread, and I thank you for this, but so very many other questions remain sadly unanswered.

Last edited by jeffkpotter; 03-30-2009 at 10:30 AM.
03-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #104

Photos: Gallery
Eight lenses bought last month (old schools only from eBay) - do I qualify?

Most of them are M42's, but one is a real gem - the A 35-105/3.5 Zoom. Beside these eight, I also found some locally at second hand stores and at the web (two Russians and a M 40/2.8 pancake). Of some odd reason, I found these Russian lenses interesting, so there will be more of them...
03-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gear Buying Addiction

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
Ah, as this venerable thread sags into oblivion I have these thoughts and questions:
Do you buy just to collect, like an old woman aquiring decorative lamps to feed her obsessive compulsive disorder, or do you actually use the many lenses you buy?

What about the lesser, but equally pernicious affliction LABA,"Lens accessory buying addiction"?

Why have we not heard from anyone with this sad affliction? Many of my questions have been solidly answered by this thread, and I thank you for this, but so very many other questions remain sadly unanswered.
All of the above. I suffer from a generalized form of Gear Buying Addiction. I like to look at and hold vintage Pentax Gear, as well as use it. I appreciate the fine engineering and metal construction. I like to put the accessories back together with the lenses and bodies.

When the gear no longer fits in a Domke F2, Lowe Pro Slingshot AW and two shoe boxes I sell stuff. Then, since there are open slots in the bags and space in the boxes, I buy stuff.

And the beat goes on.

I do actually use everything I buy at least once. I recently made a well considered lens Road Map for myself. In addition to my Gear List I will upgrade to a K20D and add 4, specific lenses. Then I am finished for a while.

Until I'm not.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-30-2009 at 06:09 PM.