Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Absolutely right, Rico!! Pragmatism!! *nods enthusiastically*

Just like me having 2 bodies so one for m42s and one for ks/adaptalls...

11-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #227
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two bodies? Is that all. You've not been at this long enough. You need an *istD so you get properly metered flash with the M42's

I have 4 DSLRs and 4 film bodies if you count my Nikon FE
11-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #228
Veteran Member

Oh Lowell, I'm selling my third body as we speak. wait.. oh you know what I mean...

Mind you, I was talking about digital.

Film bodies, now.. *rubs hands together* I've got close to a dozen slr bodies now... anyone want some? *offers up big box*

oh, and as to flash, i haven't figured that one out yet. every time i do flash my screen goes white. so i'm just sticking with no flash. not that i use flash much anyway, except to take pics of the inside of the lenses
11-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #229
Veteran Member

LBA... what LBA ?

11-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #230
Veteran Member

11-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #231
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
You can feel it, with all your senses, when you hold the K85/1.8, K50/1.2, A50/1.2, FA*85/1.4, A*300/4, M*300/4, K28/2, K24/2.8 or tiny M20/4...
I have the Takumar15/3.5 Asph for 30+ years still I feel the rush when I hold it ;-)

I still missing a few. in the meanwhile i get some cheap lot in hope to save for those missing, and end up with tomioka 55/1.2, OM55/1.2, OM35shift, mamiya55/1.4, nikkor180/2.8ED, nikkor400/5.6ED, nikkor28/3.5PC, and a whole line up with carl zeiss, several german glasses, in pentacon six mount...
The K28/2 is on my wish list. but first the DA15 since I need the wide angle.

I find the K24/2.8 somewhat ordinary compared to the all around excellent pentax lenses. It's good but not exactly similar to the rest of your list.
11-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #232
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
oh, and as to flash, i haven't figured that one out yet. every time i do flash my screen goes white. so i'm just sticking with no flash. not that i use flash much anyway, except to take pics of the inside of the lenses
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't think you can use flash with manual lenses and any of your bodys except one way. The flash can only fire full power. You would just have to keep dropping the aperture and shutter untill you get the right exposure (there is most likely a limit how fast you can go on the shutter, mine is 1/180th sec). Try stopping down a lot and then it may be a matter of doing the calculations (I never shot film so I never learned how to), or just trial and error till you get the right exposure. If you are at your smallest aperture and fastest avalable shutter speed and its still to bright then you just can not use flash (perhaps an external flash bounced might work, I don't know). The ist series bodies were the last series that had a ttl sensor in the body, and therefor could meter with a manual lens. I do not know if you can use the internal flash on an ist (at least I havent figured out how to yet but I havent tried that hard), but I know for a fact that you can use an external flash with a full manual lens and it will meter properly. Try your camera with flash on an A lens or an auto focus lens and see if it exposes corectly then? Keep in mind that there is a limit to how fast the shutter can fire with flash (1/180th on mine) so you most likely will have to set the lens to A and let the camera have control of the aperture, or at least set it to A and change the aperture through the camera so that it knows what aperture you are shooting.

11-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #233
Veteran Member

Hrmm.. I don't own any A lenses. Auto focus, like a DA? *scratches head* the internal flash works with a DA no probs...

I haven't gotten to external flash yet. I've been looking into the homemade flash diffuser thing for macro shots. Haven't gotten very far on that front yet. Still in the 'to do' list. Too busy scouring ebay...
11-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #234
Veteran Member

Hrmm.. I don't own any A lenses. Auto focus, like a DA? *scratches head* the internal flash works with a DA no probs...

I haven't gotten to external flash yet. I've been looking into the homemade flash diffuser thing for macro shots. Haven't gotten very far on that front yet. Still in the 'to do' list. Too busy scouring ebay...
Yes auto focus lenses like the DA or older film auto focus lenses like the FA or F. All should work with you internal flash or an external flash. Likewise other brand lenses that can auto focus should work. By A lenses I mean any lens that has an A setting on the aperture ring including manual focus ones. If I am not mistaken, they should work fine too though I do not own any of the body's you do to know for sure (perhaps someone eles can confirm). Basically any lens auto focus or not that has an A setting on the aperture ring should work. You may have to set the lens to A and change the aperture with the camera dial rather than the ring on the camera to get flash to work though.

If the lens is full manual (meaning it doesn't have an A setting on the aperture ring), the flash can only fire full power. You would have to determine the correct aperture and shutter speed your self and will probably have to use small apertures in most instances. Go to the fastest shutter speed it will allow, then set to the smallest aperture and fire a test shot. If exposure is ok, then fine. If it is under exposed, open the aperture up a step at a time till you get the right exposure (or increase shutter time). If at the smallest aperture and fastest shutter you still get an over exposed image, you can not take that shot with that lens and flash, unless you find another way to reduce light like a flash defuser or something.

There is one other option of course. You could get a manual flash where you set the power level and then use the above procedure to get the right exposure. Fyi I just made up that proceedure, there is a way to calculate it but I don't know it (never shot film cameras to learn it). Trial and error works fine for me. The last option would be a thyristor flash. They have a sensor in the flash. You might want to confirm a manual or thyristor flash will work with your bodies but so far as I know they will. Both can be pretty cheap too.
11-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #235
Veteran Member

ok off to google and uh.. what would you call this? FBA? *snarf*
11-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #236
Veteran Member

ok, remind me again. even though it's m42 it won't work on a pentax coz of the registry distance between the sensor and the glass, correct?
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
the most important is the register distance, only you want to focus infinity.
the fujinon 55/3.5 macro is less relevant since it is a macro optimalized for close distance.
also there is no bad optic for macros.
I am kind of lost here... You have a Fujinon 55/3.5 Macro lens in m42 mount but the register distance is not 45.46mm? If the mount is m42 then putting on an m42 to PK adapter to the lens should allow you to shoot at infinity.
11-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #237
Veteran Member

A few years back I was in the right time and place to get some amazing deals on lenses (auto focus or manual focus), but I didn't know any better and passed on building a collection or getting some very good lenses cheap. I will forever be kicking my self for that. I had plenty of money to buy lenses back then too. I did run into a similar and related situation a little later though and put a decent dent in my FBA to the tune of 5-10 cents on the dollar for new equipment. It's budget equipment but I paid next to nothing for it. Honestly, I don't think having a bunch of flashes is near as useful as having a bunch of lenses but that may just be the shooting I do. Having a couple, even cheaper ones is nice. Fyi the blue boxes have flashes and control modules in them too.
Attached Images

11-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #238
Veteran Member

No wolfie, there is no such thing as FBA - not much cachet in owning many dull, black plastic thingamajigs that emit blinding flash of light every now and then. A lens on the other hand can be downright seductive!
11-09-2011, 12:32 AM   #239
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
No wolfie, there is no such thing as FBA - not much cachet in owning many dull, black plastic thingamajigs that emit blinding flash of light every now and then. A lens on the other hand can be downright seductive!
Oh good, then my dozen assorted flashes don't mark a basic personality disorder. Whew!
And my dozen interchangeable-lens cameras (SLRs and RFs) aren't too abnormal either.
And the three dozen other cameras, many inherited, are no big thang either. I'm sane!
11-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #240
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I know what I want next. I want an ultra-light and -small 25mm or 28mm lens to add to my small-stuff-in-a-small-bag kit. It's not LBA. It's pragmatism. Right? Being able to stuff a bagful of tiny old lenses into a pocket for just-in-case occasions is purely rational. Right? Yeah, having 25-50-75-100mm lenses that total 400g is just smart. Right? No addiction involved. I can quit at any time. Right?
At least you still have a quest to complete.
Not sure how it ends up, but most likely with some plastic light weight, or superzoom P&S, or expendable/recycle P&S. Seems to me like an LBA controlling tactic: Set an unclear/unreachable goal! Your K20d weight a lot too! But I have to admit, a tiny set is not bad idea at all ;-)