Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2011, 03:53 AM   #256
Veteran Member

If those are flashes that came with old film camera bodies, use caution. Older flashes use high voltage that can damage your camera. Search the model number and triger voltage or post the model number. If it is in the hundreds of volts, don't even put it on your camera. If it is like 6v or something like that, its safe. If you did try it you might still be safe (unofficially at least some pentax digital bodies can take a lot of voltage before they fry), but I wouldn't intentionally try it. Modern flashes are low voltage.

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
your kids look very sweet hoanpham

so far i have two flashes. one is a sunpack that came with a body but the base looks chipped/broken so no idea if it will even work - or even how to test it.

the second is a pentax honeywell fan type flashy thing. looks amazing and mint, but i think the thing in the center is missing? not sure. i may (or may not) have more. there's a box of odds and ends in the spare room that i haven't delved into. the more i think about it, the more i think i probably do have other flashes... but can't be bothered getting off the couch to find out. i'm pp'ing the puppy walk atm and omg. i know i've been saying it with every m42 lens so far, but I am in lurrrrvv!!

The depth of field in the 1.8/55 is sooo much better than the razor thin 1.4 or 1.7. and the bokeh... *swoon*

11-09-2011, 03:57 AM   #257
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
thanks for the tip ripit! haven't tried them yet. that's another hill to climb for another day. it's enough that i'm using m42s atm. and the helios with the pin is glaring at me demanding to know why i'm not using it. tomorrow is hardware store day for electrical tape!! then we'll see who's boss...
11-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #258
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, be very careful using those flashes. Here is a great link to reference before using any of them. Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

It's probably conservative but I would be very conservative mounting an old $10 (current value) flash on a $400 camera. But I rarely use flash in the first place.
11-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #259
Veteran Member

The trick with old flashes is DON'T LET THEM TOUCH A dSLR IN ANY WAY! Keep them out of the flash shoe, no connecting wire, nothing. I use a few cheap SYK wireless optical flash triggers (about US$5 each) for my toxic old flashes. So the flashes-on-triggers sit on a bracket on the camera, or on little mini-pods scattered around the shoot site, or laying on windowsills or bookshelves, whatever. Trigger them with the onboard popup flash. Hay, for real fun, rig a flash onto the collar of one of your wollies!

11-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #260
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This LBA thing can strike at any time. There I was minding my own business, getting the odd K here and there (K28 f/3.5, K30 f/2.8, K35 f/3.5) and suddenly I felt I needed a FA*28-70 f/2.8 and because I got that I reckoned I no longer needed the Ks and got a DA15 instead. Now the DA35 f/2.8 is calling me....
11-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #261
Veteran Member

Ok so the consensus is, Leave The Old Flashies Alone. Gotcha.

Very funny Rico, putting flashes on my doggie's collars... Elsie would have a fit. She jumps a mile high if I so much as jump on her unexpectedly. If a light flashed off the back of her neck I don't know what she'd do. She's a sweet girl but boy, sometimes she sure has a skittish temperment.

Hey RobbieC. "LBA can strike at any time." Ain't that the truth??? The minute I got my Macro, I suddenly decided I needed a wide angle. And then after that, the the 35-70 range was rooolly rooooly good. I don't even take portraits!!! *shakes head* But.. there you go. *looks at two 35-70s and one 28-80...* *sigh*

With another one on the way... *cries*
11-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #262
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
DON'T LET THEM TOUCH A dSLR IN ANY WAY!
Use radio triggers/receivers. Mine is 15usd each part from hongkong somewhere. I bought a bunch of ten, in case for back up and if they ever change the frequency, I have mine covered - cheap insurance.

or pocket wizard, some one would like to have those ;-)

but you must have manual power adjustment in your flash.

11-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #263
Veteran Member

ok. more things to add on the list

phew. just got sniped on an impulsive bid for a tammy flat field converter. i didn't even know the postage price!!!
11-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #264
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Ok so the consensus is, Leave The Old Flashies Alone. Gotcha.
You don't necessarily have to leave them alone, just check them out to make sure they are safe before they touch your camera. Some old flashes as long as they are not too terribly old may have low trigger voltage and be safe. Likewise, the flash may have built in slave function (it can be set away from the camera and fires when the cameras flash fires), or be used with remote triggers etc. The one big caution is find out if it is high voltage before you try it on the camera itself. If you can not find out on a particular flash, don't risk it on the camera.
11-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #265
Veteran Member

Good news folks,
My nikkor PC 28/3.5 is a non-ai mount.
It just fits perfectly on the K5, and the K20 ;-)
wow wow wow...

I think I have to make a lock pin to be sure.
Cant' understand why nikkor changed mount, so stupid!
why cant they just use the non ai mount forever?
11-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #266
Veteran Member

because then you couldn't get those lenses for the price you paid?

you modified that nikkor right?
11-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #267
Veteran Member

Nop. no modify needed ;-)
I am in rush....
11-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #268
Veteran Member

oh....

but it's a loose fit right? you have to hold onto it otherwise it might fall off?
11-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #269
Veteran Member

Nop, it fits perfectly tight. but the turn is only 8-9mm. A hole for a lock pin will secure the lens ;-)
11-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #270
Veteran Member

what do you mean a hole for the lock pin?

if there are absolutely no modifications and it fits on perfectly fine, this could be baaaad news for me.

*looks askance at pile of lenses on coffee table*

please, please tell me there are mods required!