Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
jeffkpotter

LBA Anonymous!!!

My name is Jeff K. Potter and I am ashamed to admit that I am a Lensaholic. LBA has destroyed my ability to think rationally and practically. I am optically obsessed to the point of insanity. It threatens my well being and has demolished my bank account. My wife and friends shun me, and I actually sleep with my lens collection as I can not bear to be separated from it for long. I know I need help. That is why I am taking the lead and creating LBA Anonymous! In these troubled times of great economic uncertainty children are starving and loyal wives are consumed with despair all because of Lens Buying Addiction. Women are forsaking their husbands for lenses. The evil empires of Japan, Viet Nam, China, and Germany are prospering at our expense because of rampant uncontrollable lens buying. The traffic of illicit Commie lenses from the former Soviet Union is debasing our national morality. I personally lie awake at night fantasizing about the Leica Noctilux F0.95 lens pictured below. A lens that will never fit on my Pentax camera, but MY GOD F0.95!!!! It only costs $9995.00! Why can't I have it!?
Please support LBA Anonymous now and give your own testimony. I, and many others, need your support.

Last edited by jeffkpotter; 04-04-2009 at 06:43 PM.
03-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why "Lens Buyers Anonymous Anonymous" though?
03-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Igilligan

Surely we can make an adaptor for it! This is America Damn it! We have the technology and the skilled labor...
03-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That is the lens to destroy families.

03-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #5

This is the one that keeps me awake at night, and only $10,000 from a San Diego photo group. Just think 300MM at f2/8. LBA is a terrible thing
Attached Images

03-26-2009, 05:46 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 12 Steps of Lens Buyers Anonymous

The 12 Steps of Lens Buyers Anonymous
  1. We admitted we were powerless over lenses - that our camera bags had become unmanageable.
  2. Came to believe that a Marketplace greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
  3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lenses over to the care of the Forum members, through the Marketplace, as we know them by their PayPal addresses.
  4. Made a searching, fearless and thorough inventory of our camera bags.
  5. Admitted to the Marketplace, to ourselves, and to another special person (looking over our shoulders as we type) the exact nature of our finances.
  6. Were entirely ready to have the Marketplace remove all these defects of rational judgment about shooting with what we have, not what we dream about.
  7. Humbly asked the Marketplace to remove our excess lenses for a reasonable price.
  8. Made a list of all buyers we had harmed by refusing to sell, and became willing to make amends to them all.
  9. Made direct amends to such buyers wherever possible, except when to do so would just injure them with this affliction.
  10. Continued to take inventory of our camera bags, and when we bought something we didn't need promptly sold it.
  11. Sought through taking photographs and posting them in the forum to improve our conscious contact with the members, seeking only a vision of the Golden Spiral and the skill to carry that out.
  12. Having had an artistic awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other Lens Buying Addicts, and to practice these principles in all our lustful affairs with camera equipment.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-25-2009 at 12:15 PM.
03-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
jeffkpotter

Thank you Monochrome.

03-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
Thank you Monochrome.
Jeff: To the extent you are serious, I am a brother. OTOH, we need a little humor in such times.

I have made a specific list of lenses that I want to own, omitting those that are overpriced or would have no utility for me.

I've started selling the excess and as a Roadmap lens becomes available at my price I sell more.

This actually works.

The secret is not to be tempted by an Adaptall-2 SP 90/2.5 that comes with the matching hood and extension tube, an Adaptall 35~70/3.5 and a PK/A and NIB ESII adapters, and an SP-F with an SMC 55/1.8 attached, all for $200 total.

Yes, it is a great deal - just an adapter can be worth $100 - but once you have them you'll never sell.

And when you look up the descriptions on Adaptall-2.com to see what you got you'll discover an entire fertile field of lenses, TC's and accessories you never thought of before.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-26-2009 at 06:33 PM.
03-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #9

Forget about the adapter. I will sell my left n_t on eBay to buy the M8-2 to go with that lens.
03-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Why "Lens Buyers Anonymous Anonymous" though?
I would have translated LBA Anonymous to mean Lens Buying Addicts Anonymous. Or Lens Buying Addiction Anonymous.

I could be wrong though. I'm relatively new here.
03-26-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

::sobs quietly to self::
03-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #12

my LBA?

Hell I ordered the DA 50-135, and before it even arrived I bought the FA 31mm.

Then just yesterday I was going to sell my Tamron 17-50 to buy the Sigma 10-20, but I managed to stop myself. God help me if I ever win the lottery. I will buy every Pentax mount lens there is.
03-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonMexico Quote
God help me if I ever win the lottery. I will buy every Pentax mount lens there is.
If you win the Lottery, you buy THREE sets of every Pentax lens ever issued, NIB, untouched.

One set to use.
One set to keep.
One set to donate to the Pentax Lens Museum you establish.

So you get enough tax deduction to fund the entire purchase.
03-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonMexico Quote
I would have translated LBA Anonymous to mean Lens Buying Addicts Anonymous. Or Lens Buying Addiction Anonymous. I could be wrong though. I'm relatively new here.
Thanks for the suggestion - that makes sense to me, I guess.

And (as I just proved) I'll always be new here - <g>.

Now, then, as for Lens Buyers Addiction, "I don't get it" - One can never have too many lenses ...
03-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #15

Last weekend I had the great opportunity to attend a John Shaw workshop. He was asked about lenses, and his response was great. He said it's simple, when it comes to lenses you neeed ALL of them. Coming from a great talent like this he's either a great pophet of photoraphy or a lens pusher in disguise and getting kickbacks from the manufactures for encouraging us to feed our LBA.