Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
Flyer, not only did you make an oustanding choice in lenses, but I'll bet you made the salesmans whole day.
As far as making the salesman's day, that might be true. But I can assure you I didn't make his boss happy. See my other thread in the "everything else" section about checking the law.

03-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
Because of your impeccable taste in optics, and due to the unusual circumstances involved (replacing your stolen lenses), we at LBA-Anonymous are prepared to grant you a special dispensation. Providing, of course, you can assure us that you didn't get too excited ordering all those lenses in such an unusually short period of time!
I got kind of excited, and I still have a few more to order when I'm done discussing with the insurance company about the value of some stolen glass, namely the FA* 300 f:2.8 and FA* 85 f:1.4 as well as a hard to find zoom. I already settled for 2 zoom lenses and 2 primes.
03-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
I got kind of excited, and I still have a few more to order when I'm done discussing with the insurance company about the value of some stolen glass, namely the FA* 300 f:2.8 and FA* 85 f:1.4 as well as a hard to find zoom. I already settled for 2 zoom lenses and 2 primes.

Ouch - how/where did they get stolen, and I assume you had them itemized in your insurance prior, or how is that all working?

03-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Just when I thought it was safe to say...

...that my LBA was under control, I go out and buy a film body. As it turns out, I've only had 2 lenses that would work on it--the FA43 and DFA100. Of course, I needed something wider, so I go order a M28/3.5...then I decide that I could use something a little longer than the 43, but shorter than the 100 (the FA77 is out of my budget at this point), so I pick up the K55/1.8. I've been looking at cheap manual FF zooms for this film body, too, but I'm not sure about that at this point.

Despite my recent lens shopping, the FA77 and FA31 still keep calling my name, but I don't have $1500+ to drop on new ones at this point...sigh.

If a big pile of my cash were to make it's way into my lap, those 2 lenses would be at the top of my gear shopping list.

When does it end? :ugh:

Heather

03-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #65
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I may have a bit of the LBA too. After my Paypal echeck clears tomorrow I will have an FA* 85mm on the way, and I already have the A* 85mm. I obviously didn't need the FA*, but it was a good deal. Plus they have different optical formulas. Plus, I'll totally be able to keep the one I prefer and sell the other one. I swear I will.

Unless they're both just too good to sell
I used to have far too many 85's. However, about 7-8 years or so ago, I actually sold most of them (the most difficult was the K 85/1.8) (<sniff>). I now have only the A* and FA* 85/1.4's. Well, a few years ago I used as a justification for picking up a sweet black FA 77/1.8 Ltd the lame excuse of "I'll sell one of the 85/1.4's". Well, I ~will~ eventually sell one of 'em. Sometime. I will. Really. Honest. Trust me...

Last edited by fwcetus; 03-27-2009 at 07:11 PM.
03-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #66
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Neat! Mine was perl with curl module on ubuntu. I just hardcoded a $Lookfor and $Exclude regexp variables in the script itself, good idea to have an input file for that.

It was kinda worthless to look at all the other locations, because people usually want to stay local on CL, and if it's a good deal they go fast there anyway.
I have heard rumors that they have an API...

Steve

(Forget the script kiddie stuff....if I decide to harvest Craigslist, I want a full-grown, multi-threaded app...)
03-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #67
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
... the other is pure LBA... it was just to tempting to try the 200mm 3.5 an see if it likes the company of the Super-Tak 200mm...

I DON'T EVEN USE 200mm THAT OFTEN! I'M A WIDE ANGLE KIND OF GUY!

Well there you have it... I have confessed... can we start the treatment now so I can get out of here, there's an auction ending soon...
I am with you man! I shoot tele about 10 times a year, but what did I do? Like you, I took a liking to the M42 Komine-made Vivitars. They are just damn seductive. Never mind that the 135/2.8 is just simply an excellent lens...never mind the low price. As a result, I have both the 135/2.8 and the 200/3.5. Does that mean I will sell my M 200/4...nope...

Steve

(been playing with the 135/2.8 attached to a Vivitar 2x TC...the results are somewhat better than either of my 200s...oops! Did I actually write that?)

03-27-2009, 07:28 PM   #68
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Do you think I need help?

Lat week I ordered:

31 1.8 ltd
43 1.9 ltd
77 1.8 ltd
DA 14 2.8
DA* 16-50
DA* 50-135

Advice, please. Just remember those are replacements for stolen lenses.
The question that came into my mind...how can I arrange to have my lenses stolen...

Steve
03-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now, now, now ladies and gentlemen....don't despair. With the greatest respect to you all I humbly point out that you are approaching this issue entirely from the wrong end....in other words you have grabbed the friggin tiger by the ears.

LBA is actually very good for you: what else brings you such peace and tranquility in your lives? What else makes you feel at total harmony with your partner(s)?...(well...hey?), what else brings you so much joy and happiness?, what else fills you with eager anticipation of meeting the mailman (or UPS girl ....sigh)? what else fuels your most instinctive base human nature of the hunter when your mouth goes dry at an unexpected sighting on a computer screen or in a shop window? What else contributes in such a postive manner to overcoming the global economic crisis? What else feeds hundreds of families throughout southeast asia?

What else makes you just feel so damn good each time you let it embrace you ('that' aside Dave)....?

Now how do you feel about LBA? see the the positives? just the positives.

A true story you will love:
I recently visited the Hong Kong Flower Show, I had my K20 & DFA 100 & FA 43, my wife had the K200 & Pentax 17-70. We were totally lost in a sea of Nikon & Canons and great big grey lenses everywhere, I mean totally swamped.
My wife commented that she would never again criticise my lens buying activities after experiencing that...... yep, thats what she said....NEVER AGAIN.....

Cheers people.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 03-27-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: gramma
03-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
My wife commented that she would never again criticise my lens buying activities after experiencing that...... yep, thats what she said....NEVER AGAIN.....

Cheers people.
In a fit of madness I bought an Optio A40 at closeout pricing, including an extra battery and 4 2Gb cards. Like I need a consumer P&S, but the price was so good. I used it a few times, boxed it back up and guiltily prepared to offer it here.

Some days later my children came home from college and we had a little party. Both children had their little P&S party cameras, and flashes lit up the room like those strobes we had when we were in high school. My wife said, sort of whining, "I don't have a nice camera."

Sometimes the little light does go on - only sometimes, but once in a while it does.

Two weeks later I gave her the (almost) new A40 for her birthday. Now she wants Photoshop on her cmputer and she is a menace - stopping everywhere to take pictures, holding everybody up. Arrgghhh - come on already ()

Today a clean K2DMD that I bought for a song arrived on the doorstep. My wife handed me the box with a weather eye and I whipped out my pocketknife. When I had dug through the peanuts and pulled it out she looked over my shoulder and asked,
"When was that made?'
"1976-1980."
"Lots of buttons and stuff."
"Yeah, it was the Pentax pro camera then."
"Wow - really heavy!!"
"Yeah, but I like that - I can't use little cameras because my hands are too big."
"Well, I think MY camera is just right for my hands. And I can take a good picture with it."
"Glad you like it."
"Nice camera. What are we doing tomorrow?"

03-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have heard rumors that they have an API...

Steve

(Forget the script kiddie stuff....if I decide to harvest Craigslist, I want a full-grown, multi-threaded app...)

Do they have an API? I think I ran across an RSS feed when I was doing it, but it didn't give all the text, IIRC.

Anyway, with 10 cities, my perl script took about 20 seconds to run each time, and 98% of the delay was waiting for server/network response. Each posting was only retrieved once, then indexed as 'searched', so only new postings really got pulled and parsed.

I'm not sure that a multi-threaded app wouldn't just be overkill, since you're kinda at the mercy of the servers, but I'd be interested in hearing about new efficiencies if I ever reach that level of LBA again!
03-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Do you think I need help?

Lat week I ordered:

31 1.8 ltd
43 1.9 ltd
77 1.8 ltd
DA 14 2.8
DA* 16-50
DA* 50-135

Advice, please. Just remember those are replacements for stolen lenses.
That's a nice treat, would be great if it's for your birthday or something
03-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #73
Damn Brit

will work for lenses!
03-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Hi eveyone, my name is RawheaD, and I'm an addict.

I've tried them all. Big lens. Small lens. Fast lens. Slow lens.

Prime lens. Zoom lens. DIY lens. Pinhole lens(?).

Wide lens. Long lens. Russian lens, German lens, Ukrainian lens, Japanese lens.

My thing, though, really, is tilt-shift lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I used to have far too many 85's. However, about 7-8 years or so ago, I actually sold most of them (the most difficult was the K 85/1.8) (<sniff>). I now have only the A* and FA* 85/1.4's. Well, a few years ago I used as a justification for picking up a sweet black FA 77/1.8 Ltd the lame excuse of "I'll sell one of the 85/1.4's". Well, I ~will~ eventually sell one of 'em. Sometime. I will. Really. Honest. Trust me...

I thought I was sick when I had as many 50mm lenses, and they didn't even have the same max aperture. But compare to you guys, I guess I'm perfectly normal
03-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In a fit of madness I bought an Optio A40 at closeout pricing, including an extra battery and 4 2Gb cards. Like I need a consumer P&S, but the price was so good. I used it a few times, boxed it back up and guiltily prepared to offer it here.

Some days later my children came home from college and we had a little party. Both children had their little P&S party cameras, and flashes lit up the room like those strobes we had when we were in high school. My wife said, sort of whining, "I don't have a nice camera."

Sometimes the little light does go on - only sometimes, but once in a while it does.

Two weeks later I gave her the (almost) new A40 for her birthday. Now she wants Photoshop on her cmputer and she is a menace - stopping everywhere to take pictures, holding everybody up. Arrgghhh - come on already ()

Today a clean K2DMD that I bought for a song arrived on the doorstep. My wife handed me the box with a weather eye and I whipped out my pocketknife. When I had dug through the peanuts and pulled it out she looked over my shoulder and asked,
"When was that made?'
"1976-1980."
"Lots of buttons and stuff."
"Yeah, it was the Pentax pro camera then."
"Wow - really heavy!!"
"Yeah, but I like that - I can't use little cameras because my hands are too big."
"Well, I think MY camera is just right for my hands. And I can take a good picture with it."
"Glad you like it."
"Nice camera. What are we doing tomorrow?"

God, I'm jealous.
My girlfriend always says: I like you to take photos... of me! (she's taking very nice photos with a P&S, also)

But let's be honest. LBA and photography is the best thing when shared with the one you love