Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Wide? Fast? Rare? Mint Condition? Oh yes! (pic inside)

Bought sight unseen from adorama, it was listed as condition D (for 'demo'), came with proper caps and original 28/2 Pentax case. It's absolutely mint, but the JCII sticker fell off the barrel due to the glue being so dry. It has 6 aperture blades, compared to the rest of the sub 35mm pentax primes from the era.

Not too much info on the lens, I think some Japanese fellow listed very high resolution numbers on the 'A' model (which shares optic with this M series). It's a joy to look through the bright finder, especially after using the M 50/1.7 so extensively.

Once I burn through the last half of the roll in the LX, I'll post some samples. I think this will curb the LBA for quite some time now.

Last edited by CSoars; 03-27-2009 at 08:44 AM.
03-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Great find and purchase, congrats!
03-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

how good of a lens is it? i remember there was a thread on it a while back
03-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

kewl, i like that its so small!

03-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

yeah, I bought one last week. Together with some other two primes
Specifically this one seems to be rather rare. I'm glad I have it.
I can't say to much about the IQ. Weather is terrible right now.
one link: K 28/2

CSoars, how much did you pay?
03-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
yeah, I bought one last week. Together with some other two primes
Specifically this one seems to be rather rare. I'm glad I have it.
I can't say to much about the IQ. Weather is terrible right now.
one link: K 28/2

CSoars, how much did you pay?
That links to the K version, which is quite different (and bigger) than the M and A series. I think list price was $349 USD. As it's basically new and I don't shoot digital, it's worth it for me. (see any 18mm f/2's for APS-C DSLRs?)

This links to the one I have M 28/2

K100D, from what I've dug up, it's supposedly sharp, good colours & bokeh (for a WA), but some distortion. As I shoot quite a bit of 400-1600 ISO film indoors, there's no replacement for speed.
03-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
Dan

QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
That links to the K version, which is quite different (and bigger) than the M and A series. ...

This links to the one I have M 28/2

Here is a link to some formal resolution tests of both the K and M versions:

http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_28-30.html

The resolution numbers are superb. I have the A version, which is optically the same as the M version. Unfortunately the prices on these lenses are high, albeit for good reason. I really like the overall rendering of the lens. I also have the 30mm K (which is also superb) and the 28mm FA. They all have their special qualities. Pentax has lots of good choices in this focal-length range.

I'm sure you will enjoy the lens immensely.

Dan
03-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

looks awesome, time for some photos

03-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very nice...a full stop faster than the cheaper and smaller M28/2.8...but still quite compact, I'm surprised to see since this is probably the first one I've seen on a body.

I remove all the JCII stickers I find...I just don't understand what makes them so special. Kinda like how new cameras have the big and bright "10MP/Image Stabilized/ISO 1600" tags on the front...I'd never leave those on
03-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I remove all the JCII stickers I find...I just don't understand what makes them so special. Kinda like how new cameras have the big and bright "10MP/Image Stabilized/ISO 1600" tags on the front...I'd never leave those on
Yeah, I take them off the lenses because the glue warms up and they slide around under my fingertips. Only mentioned it here as support to how 'new' the lens was. The one on my LX doesn't bug me, my fingers cover it and it *might* boost resale, I dunno.
03-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #11
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I ~hate~ JCII stickers, and ~always~ like to remove them. Of course, the newer ones leave some sticky residue behind, while the older ones leave some dried up residue behind. However, I have found that "regular" rubbing alcohol (i.e., isopropyl alcohol - I like the 91% concentration) on the end of a "Q-tip" works like a charm at getting rid of the "goop" (sticky or dried up). Because I ~hate~ leftover "goop" on a lens (or body)...
03-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Goo-Gone also works even though they say "it's not safe for paint." I used some on my car's paint like 3 years ago and its still fine today. So ignore that warning if you have some sitting around and are afraid of using it on camera equipment...
03-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
.....I remove all the JCII stickers I find...I just don't understand what makes them so special.....
A lot of people think that the sticker means that the product passed some sort of inspection. But I think all it really means is that the product was approved for export.

Richard
03-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote
A lot of people think that the sticker means that the product passed some sort of inspection. But I think all it really means is that the product was approved for export.

Richard
Back in the day (say the 60s) when Japanese products had a poor reputation for quality, the sticker meant that the item had passed inspection for minimal quality for export. JCII stands for Japan Camera Inspection Institute. (At least that is the story that was told me "back in the day".) The reason why people left the stickers on is that gray or black market as well as knock-off items presumably did not have the sticker. No sticker = reduced resale value.

The funny thing is that at one point cameras and lenses started popping up with knock-off stickers! They were very similar to the JCII sticker, but had different initials. Usually these goods were made in some other part of the Far East rather than Japan. The other funny thing is that a lot of real crappy junk passed inspection and had legitimate stickers. Go figure...

Steve

(Yes...a fair number of black market and knock-off cameras were circulating at the time...fake Leicas, Nikons, and the type...)
03-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I ~hate~ JCII stickers, and ~always~ like to remove them. Of course, the newer ones leave some sticky residue behind, while the older ones leave some dried up residue behind. However, I have found that "regular" rubbing alcohol (i.e., isopropyl alcohol - I like the 91% concentration) on the end of a "Q-tip" works like a charm at getting rid of the "goop" (sticky or dried up). Because I ~hate~ leftover "goop" on a lens (or body)...
The other real bad thing about the stickers is that even when cleanly removed, the surface under the sticker is often a different color/texture than the surrounding area. This is particularly true with black bodies. I have two bodies with an oval "shadow" on the pentaprism housing.

Steve