Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wide angle converter w/50mm f1.7

Hi All,

I am new to this hobby and am already a member of LBA. I own a K100D since almost 2 years and recently bought the Pentax-F 50mm 1.7 after reading all the great stuff here. I also own the Pentax 18-250mm and am spoilt by the ability to take good wide angle shots. I was thinking of attaching a 0.4x (or similar) converter to the 50mm f/1.7. Now before I jump an buy my 9th lens, I wanted to ask around if this work OK? Any issues with losing the clarity, etc?

Thanks,

Manish Ved

03-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
I am new to this hobby and am already a member of LBA. I own a K100D since almost 2 years and recently bought the Pentax-F 50mm 1.7 after reading all the great stuff here. I also own the Pentax 18-250mm and am spoilt by the ability to take good wide angle shots. I was thinking of attaching a 0.4x (or similar) converter to the 50mm f/1.7. Now before I jump an buy my 9th lens, I wanted to ask around if this work OK? Any issues with losing the clarity, etc?
Well, sure, results from any sort of add-on converter always lose quality. It's very unlikely you'd get results from the 50 plus converter that are anywhere near as good as those from the 18-250 without converter, for example.

If you don't want to carry around the 18-250 but want really good results at 20mm or so - which is 50x0.4 - then the obvious choice would be the DA21/3.2. There is also an M20/4 that is not very common, but can be found if you're patient, for half the cost of the 21.
03-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Well, sure, results from any sort of add-on converter always lose quality. It's very unlikely you'd get results from the 50 plus converter that are anywhere near as good as those from the 18-250 without converter, for example.

If you don't want to carry around the 18-250 but want really good results at 20mm or so - which is 50x0.4 - then the obvious choice would be the DA21/3.2. There is also an M20/4 that is not very common, but can be found if you're patient, for half the cost of the 21.
My main objective - I should have mentioned in my original post - is to shoot in low light. Like a stage show or at an indoor gathering. The 50mm (effectively 85mm due to the crop factor) is just not wide enough. So will shooting at f1.7 with the convertor have any effect?
03-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, most likely the camera wont auto focus, images will have actual resolution comparable to VGA (640x480) mobile phones, low contrast, no sharpness, distortions etc.
Those wide angle converters are only usefull for playing around and mostly are meant for point and shoot's where you cant change lenses or digital camcorders, where low quality isnt that noticable.
If you manage to find some higher quality converter, it think its price would be comparable to actual bright wide angle lens, like sigma 24/1.8.

03-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
manishved:My main objective - I should have mentioned in my original post - is to shoot in low light. Like a stage show or at an indoor gathering. The 50mm (effectively 85mm due to the crop factor) is just not wide enough. So will shooting at f1.7 with the convertor have any effect?
Also, I think, though I've never used one, that the converter would take the f1.7's max aperture down a bit--shooting in low light, this could be a big factor.

Can someone here guess what the max aperture would be reduced to with one of these converters? Thanks.
03-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd consider one of the f/2.8 primes - there are 20mm, 24mm, and 28mm lenses from Pentax (the 28 easy to find and very cheap, the 24 still quite reasonable). The 20 is expensive enough that you're better off with the DA21. And if you're thinking f/2.8 or f/3.2 isn't enough for low light, you might be surprised - at those focal lengths, you don't need crazy fast shutter speeds.
03-28-2009, 05:03 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The edges of the photo shot with the wide angle converter will be distorted and out-of-focus.

However, this may not be a bad thing depending on the scene. If the subject of the photo occupies the center of the frame it can be useful if the edges of the scene are fuzzy & distorted; this often has the effect of drawing attention to the center.

Including some fuzzy peripheral information in a scene can improve a photo; it can clarify the context in which the photo was taken, while just a head shot often tells nothing about location.

Just don't expect to use the wide angle adapter for landscapes.

Dave
03-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote

Can someone here guess what the max aperture would be reduced to with one of these converters? Thanks.
I'm just guessing, but I would guess at least a full stop, if not two.