Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #1

Yashica 50mm 1.4

Hi Guys:

I'm new to this forum and digital photography as well. I took advantage of the rebates on the K100d and thought I'd pull out my trusty Yashica lens to use as a prime. I have the pentax adapter ring and when I mount the Yashica to the body the lens does not seem to go all the way on. If I look at the camera from the front the aperture numbers are in the 11 o'clock position rather that 12, where they should be. I have screwed the lens on as tight as I'm comfortable with. Has anyone else experienced this with a lens. This lens will not stop down properly when it's in this position.

Thanks in advance,

Bud

04-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
All of the M42 lenses & adapter combinations that I have tried have ended up at the 11 oclock position. It should stop down fine in this position ..If your lens has a auto/manual switch , flip it to manual, you can then stop down manually..wildherre
04-09-2007, 02:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Wildherre:

Thanks for the reply. This is an old lens and does not have the auto/manual switch. When I set the aperture ring for f16 I get maybe f4. I won't stop down all the way. It does stop down out of the camera when I push the pin in; so the lens works fine from that stand point. Maybe I should try to put the lens on tighter and it will engage better. I just don't want to break anything.

Bud
04-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

try and figure out how to keep the pin pushed all the time. there's bound to be a way.

04-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a couple ways:
Jens R's excellent Technic articles.
Jens was kind enough to find a disc for me, but I'm sure you could even make one yourself.

Another way I've seen is to solder the pin in place (while pressed in, obviously).

Lastly, you can urge one of the camera manufacturers to make a digital M42 SLR!

Still holding my breath,
Sean
04-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi Roy & Sean:

Thanks for your replies. I have been trying to find a way to keep the pin depressed. I thought an o-ring might do the trick. Sean, thank you for this link. It looks like this is the right solution.

Bud
04-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
clm

QuoteOriginally posted by nausetman Quote
Maybe I should try to put the lens on tighter and it will engage better.
It won't make any difference. There is nothing in the camera to engage the aperture pin.
Yashica made some of their later lenses without the auto/manual switch, probably to reduce cost(fewer moving parts).
04-10-2007, 03:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Personally, I love having the lens off-kilter at 11 o'clock and consider it a feature instead of a flaw. The overhanging built-in flash blocks my view when using manual bayonet mount lenses. At the 11 o'clock position I just lower the camera naturally, glance down, and everything is right there in plain and perfect view.

I wish someone would invent an adapter to make all my bayonet mount manual lenses do the same thing.

04-10-2007, 05:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Personally, I love having the lens off-kilter at 11 o'clock and consider it a feature instead of a flaw. The overhanging built-in flash blocks my view when using manual bayonet mount lenses. At the 11 o'clock position I just lower the camera naturally, glance down, and everything is right there in plain and perfect view.

I wish someone would invent an adapter to make all my bayonet mount manual lenses do the same thing.
That's funny.

With the K- or M-series lenses some people have drilled the retaining hole at an angle to allow the lenses to work in stop-down mode. Of course, this won't work with A-series or later lenses because the electronic contacts won't align.