Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #1

645 ---> K - What's the point?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just wanting to see if I'm missing something here. I've seen a couple of these on ebay:

Pentax 645 to K adapter

At first I thought this would be cool - I could mount my 645 lenses on my K2 or my K100D!

But - why would I want to spend $260 on an adapter (and that seems to be the going price on these) so I can mount my 645 200mm f4 on a K-mount 35mm camera when I've got a 200mm f4 Pentax-A? And why would I want to put a 75mm f2.8 645 lens on my camera when I can get a 85mm f2 Pentax-M lens for almost the same price? It's not like there's a big selection of inexpensive 645 lenses.

Maybe this made sense when you had to buy all of your lenses new instead of for a song on ebay. Or if you were a pro and you were using a 35mm camera as a backup & didn't want to lug extra lenses around.

Just wondering here. I don't see why this would be a good idea right now.

03-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

amid all the crap on this thread ... check out the responses by 'Leping'
How can Pentax do it? | Nikon Rumors
03-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cheesehead Quote
Just wanting to see if I'm missing something here. I've seen a couple of these on ebay:

Pentax 645 to K adapter

At first I thought this would be cool - I could mount my 645 lenses on my K2 or my K100D!

But - why would I want to spend $260 on an adapter (and that seems to be the going price on these) so I can mount my 645 200mm f4 on a K-mount 35mm camera when I've got a 200mm f4 Pentax-A? And why would I want to put a 75mm f2.8 645 lens on my camera when I can get a 85mm f2 Pentax-M lens for almost the same price? It's not like there's a big selection of inexpensive 645 lenses.

Maybe this made sense when you had to buy all of your lenses new instead of for a song on ebay. Or if you were a pro and you were using a 35mm camera as a backup & didn't want to lug extra lenses around.

Just wondering here. I don't see why this would be a good idea right now.
Your just making conversation, right?
It might make some sense to you if you didn't have a bunch of K-mount lenses in the same focal lenths as your 645 lenses.
It might also make some sense if your 645 lenses are particularly good compared to what you have in K mount, even if they are the same FL.

I've found as I go through life that if something doesn't seem like a good idea, it probably isn't, nor even worth mentioning unless someone else brings it up.