Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 17-70 Filter ?

A few people on this list and lots of others recommended the Sigma 17-70 for a one lens, walk around, type solution. I assume a few of you own this lens. My question is can it use a standard circular polarizer or does it need the thin version to avoid vignetting in the corners on our APS C sensors? How about other types of filters, i.e. UV or lens protection? Can those be standard or do they also require a thin model?
Thanks,
Brian
anxiously awaiting the arrival of my lens (LBA jitters)

04-09-2007, 07:50 PM   #2

I have the Sigma 17-70 and I put a Tiffen 72mm Sky filter on it to protect the front end. I think it will take any filter although I do not know about the polarizer. The filter I have is a standard thickness and does not appear to cause any problems.

The only complaint I have with the lens is, another filter size ( 72 MM ). I think every one of my lenses has a different size, except some old manual focus ones.

So far I am very pleased with the lens. It is sharp and fast. I was not happy with the results from my kit lens so that is why I replaced it with the Sigma.
04-10-2007, 06:49 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks BrianK. It's good to hear that the regular filter size fits OK and that you're happy with the lens.
I'm buying this instead of the "kit" lens because I tried my brother-in-law's Nikon with an 18-55 at his son's Eagle Scout ceremony. It just didn't have the reach I wanted to get the shots I wanted. That's why I bought my K10D as a body only (too bad the forecast Pentax 17-70 isn't dated yet).
I'm planning on buying the Hoya Pro1D Polarizer, UV, & ND4. They're on slightly thinner frames than "standard filters". They're not cheap, which is why I asked the question in the first place.
Thanks,
Brian
04-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #4

I have regular 72mm Hoya UV filter. It fits and there are no problems that I can detect.