Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome! I have State Farm Insurance and will look into this.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It's a separate personal articles policy (through State Farm, same company that I have homeowners with). The problem with a regular homeowner's policy is that it places limits on coverage for items used outside the home, especially if used professionally. And the deductible is often too high to be worthwhile to use replacing a single lens. The personal articles policy I have is all risk everywhere (worldwide), no deductible.

04-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #32
Forum Member

The first time you bang your lens against something really hard will be the day you wished you always kept a lens hood on. Been there, done that. (Same with UV filters. Cheap to replace a nicked filter. Not cheap to replace a nicked front element.)

I do take the hoods off my 18-55 and 17-70 lenses when shooting indoors flash with the built-in flash so that the hoods don't block the light. Occasionally when using a shoe mounted flash on a close-in subject I'll have to lose the hoods for the same reason.
04-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #33

one situation where lens hoods can be a detriment to your photo is when doing portraits of the camera shy. a lens hood makes any lens look much more intimidating.
04-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ILoveVerdi Quote
What about scratches or acidic/caustic moisture?
Caustic/acidic moisture? I'd be more worried about my skin and lungs than my lens coating.

My summer job in college was deckhand on barges on the Mississippi River. Every 8 days we picked up a bargeload of Sulfuric Acid at a chemical plant near St. Louis. I once accidentally wrapped a mooring line around my legs as I was coiling it.

Within a minute or two I felt an itching on my thigh - looked down and my denims had become shorts, save for the seams.

04-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #35

Photos: Gallery
Lens-hood > always good!

Of course, not by using the pop-up-flash...
04-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Caustic/acidic moisture? I'd be more worried about my skin and lungs than my lens coating.

My summer job in college was deckhand on barges on the Mississippi River. Every 8 days we picked up a bargeload of Sulfuric Acid at a chemical plant near St. Louis. I once accidentally wrapped a mooring line around my legs as I was coiling it.

Within a minute or two I felt an itching on my thigh - looked down and my denims had become shorts, save for the seams.
Oh man, that's crazy! Actually I was referring to, for instance, if the lens gets splashed with a bit of salt water, or if you're taking close up photos of a puppy and it licks the lens (this happened to me last week). Basically things that are a bit more common and less.... deadly. =p

I've since decided to go without the filter, because apparently the negative effects can be quite noticeable (I took this messing around with my camera in a bar, FA50 with lens hood and cheapo hoya filter):

Last edited by ILoveVerdi; 04-05-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Basically things things
04-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #37
DAZ
Veteran Member

Short answer yes always.

I was out and had a chance to take a side by side with a new lens. Basically the same but one with and one without.

DAZ
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
04-06-2009, 03:39 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
like Séamuis said, screw on metal hoods are pure luxury compared to the snap-on plastic nightmares.
Well, there are some advantages to the snap-on nightmares - you cannot damage the filter thread with them I had a screw on hood on a lens and rather lazily put the camera in my holster case without removing it. Then later on I must have knocked the case in some way because when I got the camera out the hood was off and the filter thread was mangled. It was not a problem really since this was a lens that I had bought with a mangled filter thread and I had screwed in a filter (without the glass) to get a new thread - I just needed to find another filter...

Anyway, I have several types of hood (I bought a job lot), most are screw in, one is a SMC Pentax push-on with a catch (I like that one) and I also have one that pushes onto the outside of the filter thread. The push-on ones are useful for lenses that you can buy cheap because the filter thread is mangled

QuoteQuote:
If you can get one with the matching snap-on lenscap for the front of the hood, you're in heaven .-) It's just snapcap off, snapcap on, and you can leave it off also cause the hood will protect your front lens very well.
It would be good to buy cheap a box of mixed push-on caps of sizes varying by half a millimeter. I am surprised some enterprising Chinese company doesn't do this.

Richard

04-06-2009, 03:52 AM   #39
Moderator PEG Judges

Always, didn't realise they came off.
04-06-2009, 03:54 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
It's normal resting place is on the console of my truck, resting on a little nonskid pad I've made for it. Having it sit level maximizes the area of the body that contacts the nonskid and prevents it flying around the truck when cornering.
That nonskid must be very non-skiddery since your camera and a load of glass in front of it will have quite a mass.

Doesn't the camera get hot from the sun through the windscreen? Once, my daughter left her P&S in the car door pocket (not in direct sunlight) for an hour while we wandered around a tourist site (huh? why didn't she take the camera to the tourist site? I don't know why). When we got back the case of the camera had melted so that the only way to change the batteries was to take the case off, a fiddly job but luckily the batteries didn't need changing often.

Richard
04-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #41

If I have one, I'll use it. In fact I need to get one for my M50 - it looses contrast in some outdoor situations because of it. I can remember when I used to shade the front element of my rangefinder with my hand ... having a lens hood is a blessing!
I dropped my k100 with 18-55 mounted lens down (in a Tamrac holster case) and broke the lens hood, so it has some shock absorbance as well.
I fact I find lens hoods such a necessity, that I won't buy a camera bag that can't hold my K10 with lens mounted and "hooded" - sigma 24-60 in this case, but sigma 10-20, da 12-24, da 50-200 are in the same boat.
I always feel sorry for the people that buy canikon lenses, as they don't come with hoods included.