Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #1

Always use lens hood?

Hi all, have been watching and learning from here for the last year-and-a-half; thanks for the great input. Except for the time I was forced to introduce myself (good icebreaker), this is my first real post. Do you always shoot with the lens hood attached, or are there situations where it is not needed or actually takes away from a shot? I realize the lens hood is used by many who do not use a filter for protection, and I am not asking about this particular instance, just as a measure of quality of the photo. Thanks for any responses.

03-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #2

I always use a lens hood. Also, a filter for protection, mostly in order to avoid having to clean the lens itself. However, if you are looking for advice here, I think you'll find there is no real consensus. Everybody has their own opinion.

Richard
03-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Banned

I always use a lens hood.
03-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #4

Lens hood does not take away from the quality of the image. As long as you have one it is almost always prudent to keep the lens hood on the lens. I shoot a lot inside a studio and there isn't any problem with lens flare. However I still always keep the lens hood on as a habit.

03-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's never image quality downside to using a hood. I use one whenever I can.
03-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only times I take the hood off during shooting are
- if I'm in a situation where I have to use flash mounted on-camera and I'm shooting wide.
- macros and the hood is blocking precious light from reaching the subject.

Hoods reduce lens flare, filters generally amplify it. Using the correct hood for your lens will never taint your photos; unless you're paying a significant percentage of the lens' value per filter it will diminish IQ. And, Hoods help keep your fingers away from the front element.
03-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
jaz

Original Poster
My biggest concern is for low light situations - and whether the hood "takes away" available light. In addition to reducing glare and stray light, does a hood "funnel" light to make for a better picture?

03-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

No it won't take away light nor does it funnel light.

Think of it as an omni-directional baseball hat. It keeps the glare of the sun so to speak off your eyes without preventing you from seeing the fly ball coming at you. The caveat, again in baseball terms, is if you're standing nose-to-nose with the umpire and the brim of your hat is pecking at his forehead then yes the sun and/or field lights would be blocked from reaching the umpire's face.
03-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I always use UV filter + lens hood
03-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #10

I almost always use a hood, except on a couple lenses that I don't have hoods for (but should really get). The only exception is my macro lens (tamron 90mm/2.8). The front element of the lens is so deeply recessed that a hood is unnecessary, and gets in the way when shooting close macros anyway.

The only time you should worry about taking off the hood is either the aforementioned macro situation or if the flash is being blocked by it. Otherwise it can only help.
03-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
emr

Do you use the provided default hoods? I find them clumsy and they get loose easily. Something like a firmly attached rubber hood would be great.
03-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Do you use the provided default hoods? I find them clumsy and they get loose easily. Something like a firmly attached rubber hood would be great.
that's only a problem with the plastic bayonet hoods. I don't have to worry about that with my metal screw-on Takumar hoods.
03-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for me it's lens hood yes, filters no. I don't haveUV filter on any of my lenses, and honestly I don't think of using one. I'm carefull with the lenses so I hope I will never regret it....
On the other side, I don't leave house without hood in my bag (I tend to use one hood with step up rings to fit some of my lenses)
BR
03-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I always use a lens hood.
me too!
03-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
jaz

Original Poster
I know it's been an often-repeated topic, filter vs no filter, but for me it's the protection value of filters that outweigh the loss of image quality. I buy quality filters. Wish I had the stones to go without them, though, but lenses just cost too much.

Regarding the hoods, I appreciate the confirmation about using them in low light, they seem to be even more important than I thought.