Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

best lens for the job?

Hey,

At risk of treading over old ground, here goes...

I am going on a fairly long walk over around 6 days which will probably involve some rain thanks to the lovely English climate. At the minute I have some old Taks, a few primes (Tokina 28mm & M 50mm 1.7) and the kit lens. I'm pretty sure I would like to get a new lens (who wouldn't?) but I'd also like to get as much 'bang for the buck' (again, who wouldn't?)

The problem comes with weather-sealing - is it that much of an issue? would you risk bringing a non-sealed camera along for 6 days of probable drizzle? If so that pretty much limits my options to the DA* lenses. Or on the other hand would you just bring some careful hands and a plastic cover, then opt for a cheaper lens?

Or would you tell me to stop being a moaning idiot and make do with what i have?

Oh, I am looking at the wide-mid range (16-80 ish) so I would consider say the DA* 16-50, DA 16-45, Tammy 28-75 etc

any responses appreciated!

03-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We all managed just fine without weather sealing in the film days. It's important to protect the camera from moisture, and that's taken care of by the K20D's seals.

Lens-wise I would investigate covering it with a plastic bag of sorts, and after it's been put on the camera maybe a piece of thin string around the edge of the mounting flange to catch accidental moisture. That's my cheap man's method (and being careful of course).

Any resources you'd allocated toward a weather sealed lens you may want to put toward a more useful focal length and better image quality, because after the drizzle, you've still got the lens.
03-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #3

You have 3 fantastic choices that could easily do the task at hand. The only problem that I see with those choices is that the Tamron is not that wide, I would probably look to replace it as a choice with the Tamron 17-50mm or the Sigma 18-50mm. Both of which should be more of a comparison with the other two on your list. I know that the DA* is weather sealed, but just as the poster previous poster said - use a plastic bag to help against moisture.
03-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

DA 17-70 f/4 has a rubber seal around the mount.

03-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd say your best choices are weather sealed lenses or else cheap non-sealed lenses that woudn't kill you to have to replace if necessary, combined with the plastic bag to help make it less likely you will need to repalce them. That is, I'd trust a plastic bag to protect a $50 used manual focus prime far more than I trust it to protect my DA70. I've done a bit of shooting in the rain with my M28/2.8 and haven't had any problems at all.
03-30-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might consider a pack or two of the OP/Tech RainSleeve. They are not very expensive and cover both the camera and lens. If there is just a light drizzle it probably won't be a much of a problem but of course heavy precipitation may not be good. Bring some towels to dry your stuff off with too.

Rainsleeve & Rainsleeve-Flash | Demo Page
03-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
another thought, ignoring the rain factor -- what about a good macro? This is a great time of year for 'em.
03-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for the replys guys. Think I'll mull on this one a bit! hopefully some divine force will make me choose the right option!

03-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
oh yeah, forgot to say, I need some wide-ish shots of the hills and the like so I could even go wider than originally thought - so I think I'll skimp on the DA* and think wider. Also macro is out of the question at this time apart from maybe the DA35 limited!

Cheers!