Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Locking Up?

About a year ago I purchased a SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro. The lens looks virtually brand new.

Has anyone had any experience with this lens seeming to lock up when used in Autofocus mode on a K10D?

After it does that it seems that the only way to get it to work correctly again is to power down the camera, replace the lens with another, power the camera back up and take a few shots with the different lens and then I can go back to using the Macro lens.

03-30-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
What firmware are you with your K10D ? Latest is 1.3 i think...
03-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Firmware

I am using version 1.3.
03-30-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please define "lock up". Do you mean that the lens will not take a photo? Is the focus locking up? Or have you inadvertently moved the focus range limiter to lock the lens in either distance or macro mode? The FA has a switch that limits the focus range for faster autofocus. This is a peeve of mine against the newer D-FA 100/2.8 macro. It really needs a focus range limiter.

03-30-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
To be honest I haven't used the lens in quite a while. When I get home tonight I'll try to duplicate the problem I had and see if what you describe is actually the case. If not I'll be able to describe more accurately what the problem is.

Thank you....Sprags
03-31-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Please define "lock up". Do you mean that the lens will not take a photo? Is the focus locking up? Or have you inadvertently moved the focus range limiter to lock the lens in either distance or macro mode? The FA has a switch that limits the focus range for faster autofocus. This is a peeve of mine against the newer D-FA 100/2.8 macro. It really needs a focus range limiter.
Last night I tried to duplicate the 'problem' I thought I had and after making sure the CLAMP was not on and the Focus Range Limiter was set to AF and not MF it worked fine.

I bought this lens used with no manuals. I guess I should try to track one down just to make sure I understand how I should be using it...Thanks
03-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
Last night I tried to duplicate the 'problem' I thought I had and after making sure the CLAMP was not on and the Focus Range Limiter was set to AF and not MF it worked fine.

I bought this lens used with no manuals. I guess I should try to track one down just to make sure I understand how I should be using it...Thanks
The focus limiter is a device that restricts the focus range of the lens to either close up only or distance only. If I remember correctly, one focuses the lens to either "out there" or "right close here" and then flip the switch to the lock position. Using the lock you either have a 100/2.8 normal lens or a 100/2.8 macro that will not focus to infinity. The idea is to restrict the focus hunting to one or the other range of distances, speeding things up. I'm not sure what the markings are. I have never owned the lens, so I am just working from my LBA studies of the Pentax macro lenses.