Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2009, 06:44 AM   #1

Tak 100/4 Macro Lifesize Choices?

Hey folks, as i said in the Takumar thread, i just got a steal on a Takumar 100/4 Macro. Now this macro only goes to 1:2. Occasionally, for more scientific than fun work, i will need 1:1 at the least. What is the best way to go about getting 1:1 (And if possible beyond?)? Tubes? I think i would rather not go with diopters, knowing they aren't often too high quality glass.

Suggestions welcome

Cheers
Rowan

03-30-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rowan57 Quote
Hey folks, as i said in the Takumar thread, i just got a steal on a Takumar 100/4 Macro. Now this macro only goes to 1:2. Occasionally, for more scientific than fun work, i will need 1:1 at the least. What is the best way to go about getting 1:1 (And if possible beyond?)? Tubes? I think i would rather not go with diopters, knowing they aren't often too high quality glass.

Suggestions welcome

Cheers
Rowan
I have the M version of the lens and I use a 50mm extension tube to get to 1:1. With 50mm of extension, the lens focal range becomes 1:2 through 1:1. If you need to go larger than that, I would suggest a bellows.
03-31-2009, 08:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Canada, i will look into some extension tubes, they are cheap on ebay so thats handy.

Ta
Rowan
03-31-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've got the same lens, and I've done a little 1:1 with a Vivitar 2x converter. I know that some say that converters are not the best, but I don't think it did that bad of a job...

03-31-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Banned

I just purchased this very lens yesterday myself. I would agree with Canada_Rockies, a 50mm extension tube is the easiest way to go, and will have no degradation of IQ. a loss of light yes, but that can of course be over come with exposure or a good flash (preferably an off camera or maybe a macro ring light.)
03-31-2009, 11:45 AM   #6

Original Poster
ECCS, thanks but i will probably stick with tubes, i need to maximise image quality as i will be using it for scientific illustration when at 1:1. the rest of the time i will use it at 1:2 quite happily

Seamuis, the 50mm extension sounds like a solid idea, i shall endeavour to get hold of one.

Cheers
Rowan
03-31-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
Banned

ECCS, thanks but i will probably stick with tubes, i need to maximise image quality as i will be using it for scientific illustration when at 1:1. the rest of the time i will use it at 1:2 quite happily

Seamuis, the 50mm extension sounds like a solid idea, i shall endeavour to get hold of one.

Cheers
Rowan
not hard to come by, especially in M42. (unless you want a set of Auto Pentax K mount tubes, to which I would say 'good luck'.) and since your using an m42 Takumar you may as well save yourself the money and forgo purchasing a K mount extension tube (set). I have a set of Asahi Pentax m42 tubes myself near mint with carrying case (which of course I plan on using on my own Macro-Takumar) and I pad a grand total 16 bucks with shipping.

m42 lenses may have skyrocketed in prices but people still want K mount accessories I have an Asahi pentax Auto Bellows M set (K mount) that I am thinking of selling for a m42 set. I can make a profit on it, and still have a full bellows set.

03-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #8

Original Poster
Nope just a bog-standard set of m42 tooobs for me, shooting on an EOS 40D so it will go Lens > Toobs > Adapter > Camera. How complex! lol

Im not really a fan of the K-mount, i have a couple of Pentax-M's & i dont like the adapters for them so decided to collect M42 Taks instead! The M42 mount is just so nice and solid & simple. One day i will have a full set of Taks for sure.

Cheers
Rowan
03-31-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
Banned

Nope just a bog-standard set of m42 tooobs for me, shooting on an EOS 40D so it will go Lens > Toobs > Adapter > Camera. How complex! lol

Im not really a fan of the K-mount, i have a couple of Pentax-M's & i dont like the adapters for them so decided to collect M42 Taks instead! The M42 mount is just so nice and solid & simple. One day i will have a full set of Taks for sure.

Cheers
Rowan

ah, I was unaware, you were shooting EF. hey, as long as you recognize how exceptional Takumars are, I guess it doesn't matter which body is behind the lens. shame you cant use your own legacy glass though. just as long as you treasure those Takumars the way us Pentax shooters do, and dont modify or cannibilze them in your exploits, I will say enjoy them and good luck in hunting down all those Takumars. oh and please do yourselfa favour and pick up any of the Takumar 55mm 1.8's believe me, you dont know it yet but you need a Takumar 55mm 1.8. you just do.
03-31-2009, 03:15 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
ah, I was unaware, you were shooting EF. hey, as long as you recognize how exceptional Takumars are, I guess it doesn't matter which body is behind the lens. shame you cant use your own legacy glass though. just as long as you treasure those Takumars the way us Pentax shooters do, and dont modify or cannibilze them in your exploits, I will say enjoy them and good luck in hunting down all those Takumars. oh and please do yourselfa favour and pick up any of the Takumar 55mm 1.8's believe me, you dont know it yet but you need a Takumar 55mm 1.8. you just do.
Haha no, no cannibilizing here, no need, it is a real shame that th FD mount cant be used on EOS cameras, but such is life. So far i have the Tak 50 1.4 & Tak 100/4 Macro. Soon to be joining the collection hopefully the 135 3.5 & 28mm 2.8 (And by the sounds of it a 55 1.8 )

Cheers
Rowan
03-31-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hey Rowan,

I think I have a set of M42 extension tubes at home somewhere. You can have it for the cost of shipping (less than $10 USPS Priority if you live in the US).

If I can't find the extension tubes, I'll send you two 2X teleconverters. You can remove the optics to make them extension tubes.

Drop me a PM with your shipping address if you are interested.
04-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #12

There are two models of the 50mm f 4.0 Pentax macro lens. I have both: The first being a preset diaphragm which focusses down to 1: 1, and the second goes to 1:2. Both are very good .
04-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Acorn Quote
There are two models of the 50mm f 4.0 Pentax macro lens. I have both: The first being a preset diaphragm which focusses down to 1: 1, and the second goes to 1:2. Both are very good .
There are two models of the Pentax 50mm f 4.0 macro lens . I have both. The first being a prefocus diaphragm and the latter an automatic stop down. Both are very good
04-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #14

There are two models of the 50mm f 4.0 Pentax macro lens. I have both: The first being a preset diaphragm which focusses down to 1: 1, and the second which is a auto stop down, goes to 1:2. Both are very good .