Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #1

Split Image focus

I retired 2 years ago and bought the k10. I bought it because of its 72 water seals and my brother has one and he told me to do it.? My last camera, that i still have, is a Cannon FX. I bought it in 1965 when i was in the Army in Europe. I took a lot of pictures with it when i was on leave in Europe. I have used it a lot over the years. I have always loved the camera except for one thing. I live in the Pacific Norwest in Bremerton Wa. We have rain mixed with ducks here. I love to shoot outdoor photos. We also have a lot of salt in the air because of Puget Sound. I have taken the Cannon in 2 times for cleaning frozen parts at a $175.00 a bill. So i give up and put it on the shelf.
The best thing i liked about it was its SPLIT IMAGE FOCUS. I missed it on my k10. I sent away for a split image plate from KATZ EYE T OPTICS. I have installed it and of course i like it. I don't think it was as refined as the Cannon factory one but i am happy. My brother, who has the came k10 that i have, has shown me how to use a CENTERED WEIGHTED METERING or MULTI-SEGMENT METERING. The center spot Metering is qestionable for me right now. This is why i suppose Pentax did not put it on in the first place.

But i like the Split Image is great for a fast CHECK on focus when shooting through fog or branches or such stuff that confuses the meter.
In todays world we can get a lot of 3rd party lenses. And, are they on focus.? I have discovered a great thing about the SPLIT IMAGE. I can put any lens on the camera and auto focus it on a distant object. While i am looking through the camera i look at the split image to see if some line on a distant object is broken or straight. If it is broken than i have to ajust my lens manually or with the focus settings either +or-. The split image is a no brainer. It shows me if the lens is dead on or not. I am 100% happy with my Pentax k10 and "try " to buy Pentax lenses to support the Manufacture and reseach of such.

03-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Couldn't agree with you more.

I recently purchased a split image screen for one of my K10's and love it. I use it on AF and have found that my lenses are focusing very accurate, however I like to be able to check, and do find it much easier when using my macro lens.

I like the split image screen better than the OEM screen and have it coupled with an O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier. Looks pretty close to my old Minolta X700 viewfinder from days past.

I would definitely recommend one as an excellent alternative. Would be useful for anyone using legacy lenses, or for those that prefer to MF with their lenses.

c[_]

P.S. Welcome to the forums!
03-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaumgaertner Quote
I can put any lens on the camera and auto focus it on a distant object. While i am looking through the camera i look at the split image to see if some line on a distant object is broken or straight. If it is broken than i have to ajust my lens manually or with the focus settings either +or-.
Just to make sure, though, you could do a series of shots, each with slightly different focus, to check whether your split screen really precisely indicates the focus adjustment that will give the sharpest image.

There is a slight chance that "sharp in viewfinder" is not exactly "sharp on sensor". This could be due to number of problems. Normally, you should be fine, though.