Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 06:12 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
what grease?

Hi Guys

after re-assembling the auto chinon 50mm, it looks like i have taken alot of the grease from the focus barrel.

is there any suggested grease to use for this purpose? it also has to deal with the extremes of heat we get here in Oz, so i dont want something that turns to oil at low temps

Thanks in advance!

Steve

04-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any "ball bearing" grease will do. Automotive and machinery lubricants are made to withstand high temperatures (from its own operation and not from actual environment temperature). So any of the standard commercial greases out there will do and can surely withstand temperatures well above "unsafe" for living things, without melting into oils.

Stay away from vaseline or such.

I would look for something synthetic (not petroleum based) as to avoid possible vapors.
04-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you want one brand name that you can just search for and buy (I'm like that :-) I'll tell you what I got:

SuperLube (TM) Synthetic Grease with Syncolon (PTFE) Multi-Purpose Lubricant

You can get a small 12oz tube and it will last you for many a cleanings :-D
04-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Steve, I wouldn't care to apply additional grease, unless the barrel does not rotate smoothly. Often the manufactureres applied too much grease anyway to cover-up mechnical play in the the threads. Otherwise I think, silicone-base grease is the standard product for that application.

Ben

04-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for the info guys... much appreciated!

i'll look for some synthetic / silicon based grease.. sounds fairly similar to cycle grease...

I need to add some as the focus has gone from being silky smooth to very tight towards infinity.. unfortunatley it was silky smooth but full of dust... now its crappy but dust free

Thanks again

Steve
04-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Steve,

I've had horrible experiences with (pure) Silicone grease on Alu-Alu helicals. I resorted to high quality bearing grease, like being recommended.

All the super-smooth helicals I've seen are Brass-Alu, and these are not so sensitive to grease also.

I now ended up with lithium grease (looks like white pudding), but have not tried it yet.
Try to put as little as possible on the thread, and only on each end on longer helicals.

Best success,
Georg (the other)
04-02-2009, 03:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Lithium grease sounds most likely to do the job. Have yet to do a lens rebuild myself but do know a little about greases in more mechanical applications. There might also be some teflon spray on lubricants that won't have issues of melting that might do where a thin layer of teflon is applied to the working surfaces and the propellant evaporates leaving a teflon layer. Can't say I've looked into those though.
04-02-2009, 04:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Hi Steve,

I've had horrible experiences with (pure) Silicone grease on Alu-Alu helicals. I resorted to high quality bearing grease, like being recommended.

All the super-smooth helicals I've seen are Brass-Alu, and these are not so sensitive to grease also.

I now ended up with lithium grease (looks like white pudding), but have not tried it yet.
Try to put as little as possible on the thread, and only on each end on longer helicals.
Lithium grease sounds indeed better.

Ben

04-02-2009, 04:42 AM   #9
Voe
Veteran Member

I have used white lithium grease on many hard focusing old soviet lenses and now they are as smooth as a Takumar. I would not use anyhting else on a lens since I discovered how good it is.
Best part is it does not leak like other grease when lens is exposed to hot environment.
I am pretty sure there is nothing better than white lithium grease.
09-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian

What grease would you use on Plastic-Alu helicoid? SMC Pentax-A 50mm f2)