Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vivitar Series 1 Lens Repair - is there an Eric?

Your referrals will be greatly appreciated. My Series 1 105/2.5 broke last week. The button that locks the aperture ring in the Auto position lost the tab that fits into the locking slot so the ring no longer LOCKS in Auto.

I sent the lens to Eric for an evaluation - he cannot fix the lens without the little part. The part is the release button for the "A" setting.

***UPDATE***

I have had a contact from Ralph Innes of Lens Tech coming from either Kiron Klub or Manual Focus Forum posts that I amde like this one.

He is apparently the Eric of lenses (at least in Canada) and is the person I was trying to remember. He has suggested a number of cheaper Kiron lenses that have this pin.

I will be on the lookout for them and add a Wanted entry to the Marketplace.

I need either
  1. A referral to the Eric of Vivitar lenses - their repair expert (I thought I saw a name on Manual Focus Forum, but I can't find it).
  2. A parts source for classic Vivitar lenses
  3. A beater Vivitar parts lens that I could harvest a replacement part from. (Least likely unless I get lucky and the part is universal)
FWIW, the lens still operates in A mode, the ring just won't lock there.

Thank you in advance!!

Last edited by monochrome; 04-02-2009 at 07:23 PM.
04-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Can you post photos of the button? I know, this requires disassembly of the lens. Be careful of little parts (e.g. metal ball) falling or flying off - when in doubt, perform the disassembly in a large zip lock bag.

I have some parts from old lenses. They may fit your lens.
04-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You should apply for membership in the Kiron Klub (Yahoo group). There is some people there who seem to know this lens (and many others) inside out. Just tell them you need help with you lens and I bet you'll be accepted.
04-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
You should apply for membership in the Kiron Klub (Yahoo group). There is some people there who seem to know this lens (and many others) inside out. Just tell them you need help with you lens and I bet you'll be accepted.
Thanks - I tried to join that group in 2005 and never could get the Mod to accept me - but I will try again.

04-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Can you post photos of the button? I know, this requires disassembly of the lens. Be careful of little parts (e.g. metal ball) falling or flying off - when in doubt, perform the disassembly in a large zip lock bag.

I have some parts from old lenses. They may fit your lens.
Thanks - Eric Hendrickson disassembled the lens and sent me an image of the part. It is on my work email, but I can retrieve it and I'll post it later.
04-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
Igilligan

I know this may be a silly question, and I think I already know the answer but...

If it still stays in 'A'... why do you need the little silver button that locks it in 'A'?
04-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually I don't - unless I want to ever sell the lens. I asked Eric to put it back together as it is and ship it back. Haven't decided what to do just yet.

04-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Actually I don't - unless I want to ever sell the lens. I asked Eric to put it back together as it is and ship it back. Haven't decided what to do just yet.
Why don't you ask Eric to keep it for a few more days while you seek help. You never know. If I happen to have the part you need, I can send it directly to Eric.

I have this cheap lens. It may be just what you need (sorry for the lousy photo).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot G5  Photo 

Last edited by SOldBear; 04-01-2009 at 02:27 PM.
04-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is a pic of the part taken by Eric

Thanks - I did send another email and ask Eric to keep the lens for a few days, pending finding a replacement part. Alas, that button does not look like my button - but then, who knows? Eric is checking his stock for a part - joined the Kiron Klub - thanks for all the help!!

Those must be 1/4" grids - that part is tiny
Attached Images

Last edited by monochrome; 04-01-2009 at 06:17 PM.
04-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Had my first hit - Guidance to look for a Kiron 28mm f/2 - it has the same or a similar pin. anyone have a broken one available? I'm going to write an article about this due to the value of these lenses - the pin is apparently under-engineered and subject to breakage.
04-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Good luck Paul. My 105mm quit focusing and the blades stuck open last summer and due to potential repair costs, I sold if for $99 and bought the Sigma. Yours should be more of a straight up repair than mine was.
04-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Had my first hit - Guidance to look for a Kiron 28mm f/2 - it has the same or a similar pin. anyone have a broken one available? I'm going to write an article about this due to the value of these lenses - the pin is apparently under-engineered and subject to breakage.
Thanks, Blue. I have received some good advice from a contact on Manual Focus Forum and in Kiron Klub Yahoo Group.

Ralph Innes @ Lens Tech

I had seen his website several years ago, but couldn't remember the name and had lost the Bookmark. He is apparently the Eric of Kiron lenses.

I have a handle on which lenses also use that pin - now the job is to find a parts lens to harvest the part from. I could just use it without the pin, but these lenses are worth so much money it seems a waste not to have it fixed.

Paul

Last edited by monochrome; 04-02-2009 at 07:15 PM.