Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

Lense for outdoors

So as summer rolls in, I'm gearing up for my job, and I'd like to gear up my camera kit as well. I currently have: a kit lense, tamron 90mm, *50-135, and an FA 28-70. I'm looking for a lense that is smallish and will be versatile. I'm expecting mostly landscapes, general nature-type photos. I bought the 28-70 (bought it used, about a year ago), for this purpose as I will be in the backcountry for 99% of the summer and wanted a lense i didnt have to worry about getting beat around. The problem started after I used the 50-135 more, and then purchased the tamron 90.

I'm just not happy with the quality generated by the lense, and am looking for something else. I'm looking at the limiteds, the 21 or the 40. I hear the 21 "isn't anything special" just small, but I'm worried the 40 won't be wide enough to be very versatile if thats the only lense I have available.

So... basically a post asking for another perfect lense: small, light, excellent quality, and not requiring a loan.

Any suggestions from the crowd?

04-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
elnero: The problem started after I used the 50-135 more, and then purchased the tamron 90.
Yes, sounds of another hooked LBAer.

QuoteQuote:
but I'm worried the 40 won't be wide enough to be very versatile if thats the only lense I have available.
You can do a lot with the 40, but it is not a go-to landscape lens--that's for sure. If you want to do landscape, you really need to go wider. The question is just how wide a focal length do you want? In the 16-50mm range there are many good choices. But you could also shoot for an ultra wide lens. The DA 12-24 is loved by its owners as is the 10-17 fisheye, though I have not used them. The Sigma 10-20 generates awe in its owners as well.

You didn't really give your budget, or specifics enough for us to pinpoint a choice for you. Do you care to narrow down the choices?
04-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
most of the time 40 would be fine for landscapes, if not, have a look at FA31, quite a bit wider and with stunning IQ. Both of these (DA40 & FA31) are virtualy distortion free with great contrast and colour rendition. Sharpness goes without saying...
That's my personal experience. Otherwise DA35 or FA35 both have great reputation and F28/2.8 is apparently great lens too (somewhat better than FA28).
good luck choosing...
BR
04-02-2009, 06:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hmmmmmm...??

QuoteOriginally posted by elnero Quote
I'm looking at the limiteds, the 21 or the 40. I hear the 21 "isn't anything special" just small, but I'm worried the 40 won't be wide enough to be very versatile.?
...21 is not special? You won't hear that from me. It's a great walk around lens on a K20D.

If you are considering the 31, with some shopping around you can probably get the 21, 40, and have enough money leftover for a nice lunch. I'll be very surprised if you end up disappointed.

... my 0.02 cent$...

04-02-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hooked LBA'er? ... I can stop whenever I want. I'm much worse with the backpacking and climbing gear actually.

Price range I'm looking mostly at the <500ish range, college student with too many expensive hobbies. I was mostly looking at primes for the size and weight. I'm not as interested in the *16-50 as it feels like the same lense as the kit, not that I've used it, but the focal range is so similar. I'm open for older lenses as well, if ya'll know of any gems, I'd like to keep AE is the only consideration, manual focus is fine by me. And I think the 40mm would be the longest I'd want to go. I think the first response asked about a fisheye, while those look like a lot of fun, I think I'll add that further down the LBA road
04-02-2009, 06:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I just picked up a FA 35mm f/2 for $330 at B&H. Small, light, fast, cheap, & great IQ. I'd rather have a FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited but I can't justify the price right now.
04-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Hooked LBA'er? ... I can stop whenever I want.
Da Nile, unlike the Da forty, ain't just a river in Egypt!!!
04-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Any of the A wide angle lenses (24, 28, and 35 f/2.8) are all nice lenses that can be had for within your budget( 24 is more $$ than the other two, which run at < $100. the 24 is probably $200+) The 28 would be a great normal MF prime on APS-C, but the would give you a little extra wideness for the scenery but not too wide that it could still be used for most circumstances. the 24mm has a very nice all-metal build, while the 28 and 35mm f/2.8 lenses have some plastic (but are still very well made). There are f/2 versions of the 28 and 35mm but they are closer to $400 - $500 and are metal-built I believe.

I've used the 24, 28, and 35 f/2.8, but have never had the privelege of one of the f/2s. Here is one from the 24mm:

-jim

04-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
elnero: I'm much worse with the backpacking and climbing gear actually.
I have been a big hiker too. Back in the early hiking days, all I did was throw a P & S camera in the pack and off I would go. I'm not sure when or how it happened, but somewhere I thought I needed a DSLR too.

Now it is a constant struggle to divide money between new camera and new hiking gear, neither of which, as you know, are cheap. I bought the Tamron 17-50mm to cover much of my hiking shots. I love the lens and feel it is great value and great quality.

But it sounds like you are not looking for wide zooms with your above comments. But you do want something wider than the Da 40. So I am guessing you are looking for a prime wider than the 40.

$500 will get you something very good. Have you thought about the Da 14mm f2.8, or the very new Da 15mm f4? They are priced a bit higher than $500, but you might find a used Da 14mm.