Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LBA report: Tamron SP 400mm F/4 LD-IF

Some of you may have noticed that I've been posting photos from my new 400mm Tamron. I've had it a couple weeks now, and when Hin started asking me a few questions about it, I figured I'd just make my initial review of it in the lens database.

Today, I reposted that review on my blog, but I added sample photos (with 100% crops) to the article - scroll down to the bottom to see 'em. These aren't "test photos" as I lack the patience to take the same shot ten times to find the best one, rather they are "field use" shots... yeah, I just went out and took pictures and that's what you get .

Some sample photos (more on the blog post and even more linked to from there)...

@ f/8 exif

100% crop

hand held using the Adaptall 1.4x TC @ f/5.6 exif

100% crop

With the Adaptall 2x TC @f/7.1 (f/14 equivalent) lens on a monopod... exif

100% crop from above...

On a monopod, using the 2x TC, lens wide open (f/4) exif...

100% crop...

04-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #2

wow, very nice...
04-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Thanks for the post. Pics look good. In my longer lens search I've looked at this lens a couple of times, but was unsure of its capabilities
04-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This is a staller review. The image quality is superb! Good testing shots too!

04-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
think it needs to be on a tripod? Those monopod shots look a little soft but I can't tell if it's from the TC or lack of tripod...
04-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your replies.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
think it needs to be on a tripod? Those monopod shots look a little soft but I can't tell if it's from the TC or lack of tripod...
I agree. Of course a good tripod would help, (in fact, my "monopod" is just my tripod with only one leg extended .). I find that I can get almost as good results from balancing the load on the pod - monopod style because, while some motion in inevitable, it's not the oscillation which I get on my under strength tripod setup... I'll have a new tripod head later this week, which should help a bit, but I really need beefier legs too (and I have worked six days since October, so every purchase has to be balanced by a sale of something else, and I'm not sure I'm ready to ditch the DA* 50-135 in favor of a tripod). Maybe I'll put the 2x setup on some sandbags and see if I can improve the sharpness any...

I still think the results are pretty good based on the conditions - especially the detail still visible in the last leaf shot. Keep in mind that this lens is demonstrably softer wide open than it is stopped down a bit, so to be able to see those fiberous hairs, wide open on a 2x TC... well, I'm still impressed - perhaps I shouldn't be and I just don't know any better, but there you have it.
04-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you Heliphoto for the nice shots. After going through this thread, and reading your review in the database, I feel very acquainted with the lens. It looks to be a very good performer. I agree you'll need to get out the tripod when shooting with those teles, though the monopod does hold its own here.

I propose the acronym, NDPF, to abbreviate your new "coined," phraseology.