Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #1

Sigma Zoom Delta II 70-250mm f/3.5-4.5 Vintage 1983 Questions

I have this lens, Sigma Zoom Delta II 70-250mm f/3.5-4.5 made in Japan, from my K1000 days and just recently got it out to consider using it on my K10D.
Anyway I have found very little reference to it on the Internet, and no reference to it at all here on the forum, but have a few questions.
First of all in visually checking out the lens I notice that the front lens appears to have maybe some coating issues in that there is a somewhat off color circular pattern that has some jagged edges so not forming a true circular shape. If you get what I mean. I don't think it is fungus as the lens is not cloudy.
The other thing I noted was that the lens when held by the base will extend on it's on when held vertically, and of coarse retract on it's on when inverted vertically.
Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this lens, and could speak to it's relative quality for use on a DSLR. And if anyone would recommend that I send it some place for possible cleaning or reconditioning.
Or does it's current value preclude spending any money on it.

Thanks,
Drake

04-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #2

Original Poster
Well no takers...

Any recommendations on where to send this lens for evaluation for possible cleaning and reconditioning.

Also what does bad lens coating look like?
I've seen pictures of lens fungus but can not find any examples of bad coating.
04-15-2009, 02:46 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jay Bird Quote
The other thing I noted was that the lens when held by the base will extend on it's on when held vertically, and of coarse retract on it's on when inverted vertically.
I can only help you with this. It's called zoom creep and it's common on vintage (heavy) push-pull zoom. There's nothing you can do about it, I think.
About the coating issue perhaps some pictures of the lens can be useful, IMO.
04-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Haha I've seen this lens in other mounts at the local camera store. LONG lol.

This lens was introduced in '83. Sigma made several ventures into 'faster' lens designs relative to others during its time. I've seen designs with apertures like 3.8-4 as "Hi Speed". Even at one time a Sanwa (Sigma made KA variant) 70-210/2.8-3.5. Funky stuff. Had nice build and all but I already had the Vivitar 70-210/3.5 and it managed to CA more so I left it. As for quality, I don't see why you shouldn't check it out. It could be one of their hidden gems or I'm sure its of at least a decent make...and how can you say no especially in light of Pentax overpricing its DA*60-250mm f4! You are only 0.5 off with 4.5. =D

The worst I can see for your Sigma (and other K and KA generation Sigma lenses) is more CA and flare due to the age of the coatings so be sure to use a good lens hood.

I have a Bell&Howell Lumina 80-250/4.5 (screwmount) and a Kmount Tokina AT-X 50-250/4-5.6. Both have surprised me, especially the Tokina. So you never know what gem you may have.

My Tokina (one touch zoom) exhibits alot of zoom creep as do some of my other one touch zooms. Its pretty normal especially for old lenses like those where the build is metal.

Remember that in the end, w/e lens you got, its up to you to shoot with it. Show us some pics of and with that Sigma Zoom Delta II 70-250mm f3.5-4.5 sometime!

04-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #5

Zoom creep? No, thank you! Easily solvable at home

sajah,

is not true that you can not do anything to remedy this.

Quite simply, with almost zero difficulties and near to zero technology, you can insert into the thin space between the body and the zoom ring, 1, or more of 1, thin sheets of paper, one over the other, and/or eventually, on 2 or more areas of the body.
Usually insert this thickness of paper large few centimeters (about 1/3 ... 1/4 the circumference of the body) is sufficient to avoid that undesirable zoom creep.

You can begin to experiment with sheets of “Post-it” or similar self adesive papers, with the sticky side placed on the nearest part of the mount side of the lens, the area that remains visible and easily cleanable without disassembling anything.
May be applied two or three separated strips of paper, instead of only 1, in positions spaced to not to cover the more usefull inscriptions.
This is not an elegant solution, but certainly quick and quite effective.

After done this, if you're satisfied, you can refine the idea, do it again and optimize this simple remedy, using better materials, as thin black cardboard sheets, black or transparent plastic, or even metal (aluminum) determining how, when and where to secure them with little strong or removable glue, or a strong rubber band if it obstructs nothing.
This remedy can allows a rather fluid movement but not too free as before.

You could also find a type of adhesive tape, of proven high quality (pay attention to the characteristics of the glue present!) preferably if high temperature resistant which should give good guarantee of resistance over time and quality of the adhesive present on it.

You might be able enough and lucky to resolve the problem inserting one of these sheets, calibrated so well that remains there in place, sufficiently firm (although the zoom ring is fully extended) so it does not necessarily require any point of bonding, avoiding the slightest cosmetic permanent alteration of your lens.
Sometimes, if the internal shape and the mechanical allows it, you may be able to insert sheet / sheets entirely or almost entirely inside the zoom ring, remaining there inside: it does not disturb the eye and does its job, even better.
Warning, in this case please do NOT use the common paper because of course is not easly removable, and over time, it will crumbles and mixes into the mechanics!
08-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Jay Bird Quote
I have this lens, Sigma Zoom Delta II 70-250mm f/3.5-4.5 made in Japan, from my K1000 days and just recently got it out to consider using it on my K10D.
Anyway I have found very little reference to it on the Internet, and no reference to it at all here on the forum, but have a few questions.
First of all in visually checking out the lens I notice that the front lens appears to have maybe some coating issues in that there is a somewhat off color circular pattern that has some jagged edges so not forming a true circular shape. If you get what I mean. I don't think it is fungus as the lens is not cloudy.
Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this lens, and could speak to it's relative quality for use on a DSLR. And if anyone would recommend that I send it some place for possible cleaning or reconditioning.
Or does it's current value preclude spending any money on it.

Thanks,
Drake
Hello,
I loved this lens when I used it on my dads vintage manual Pentax camera. It had great zoom and excellent macro capabilities!, definitely the reason I got an A+ in photo in high school. I just dont know if it is supposed to fit a DSLR. I have a Kr and it doesn't seem to work, but maybe I am not trying hard enough. If anyone knows if it should fit please let me know. It is a gem if its in good condition and especially if it would work on the DSLR.