Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2009, 11:03 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm almost ripping my hair out.

Most of the reviews have conflicting information. This reviewer basically states that the kit lens is better than the DA* due to the severe quality control issues. But amazon lovers love it. www.photozone.de didn't especially love, though meanwhile B&H users are astounded by it.

how Pentax can sell a $600 lens inferior to a $100 one is beyond my understanding. Seems that Pentax wanted to be the jack of all trades, master of none with this lens.

booleansplit.com Pentax SMCP-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM user review

Now I'm doubting if I should even bother upgrading the kit lens at all and just get the darn prime instead.

04-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The kit lens is a great little lens, I have no intention of ever getting rid of mine, even though I have the DA*16-50mm. However it is far from superior to the DA* lens, don't believe everything you read. There were some serious QC issues with the initial release but the DA* trupms the kit lens in every aspect IMO. The kit is limited because of its speed, it is very slow, build, and overall features in comparison.

Here is what a good copy of this lens can do, see any CA or PF issues? Take it from me, this lens is worth the money.

Last edited by Buddha Jones; 04-03-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: image added
04-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote

Not true, you have been misled
50mm is always 50mm
70mm is always 70mm

just because its made for 35mm, the 50 is still a 50, it just has a larger image circle than a 50 built for APS
The 70mm on a APS sized sensor only roughly equates to the coverage of a 50mm when the 50 is on a full-frame or 35mm body.
Sorry, it is exactly the other way round - I know this 35mm conversion base is confusing.

A 50mm lens used on an APS-C camera (Pentax K20) will give you app. the field of view as a 75mm lens on a 35mm camera would give you.

The 70mm lens on an APS-C camera will give you app. the same field of view, a 105mm lens gives you on a 35mm camera.

Ben
04-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aweir Quote

Most of the reviews have conflicting information. This reviewer basically states that the kit lens is better than the DA* due to the severe quality control issues. But amazon lovers love it. Welcome to Photozone! didn't especially love, though meanwhile B&H users are astounded by it.

how Pentax can sell a $600 lens inferior to a $100 one is beyond my understanding. Seems that Pentax wanted to be the jack of all trades, master of none with this lens.

Now I'm doubting if I should even bother upgrading the kit lens at all and just get the darn prime instead.
I had the old DA kit lens with my istDS, added a Sigma 18-50/2.8 and never used the kit lens again. Then I added the Pentax 16-50/2.8 and well, yes, I hardly ever used the Sigma again.... It is well-known, that the first batches of the DA* where often poorly made and quality controlled. Focus was off, decentering common etc. But Pentax seems to have learned a lesson or two and now this lens receives regularily high praise. It is not only sharp, but also very versatile. The 16,, wide-angle end is really much wider than the 18mm of the kit lens (or the Sigma) and the quickshift focus is very convenient, too. Not to forget the really silent SDM, which I personally love more and more, even if I am under the impression, that the Sigma focused a tiny bit faster (but may be, I was misled by the busy noise during AF action).

Ben

04-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aweir Quote

Most of the reviews have conflicting information. This reviewer basically states that the kit lens is better than the DA* due to the severe quality control issues. But amazon lovers love it. Welcome to Photozone! didn't especially love, though meanwhile B&H users are astounded by it.

photozone.de seems to be a better place to go, if you want to find reviews done well. Take wannabe-Ken-Rockwell user reviews with a grain of salt. A random Joe Blow with a camera and a lens does not a good reviewer make:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/55729-doing-wr...eview-com.html