Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How long can they do?

Recently I was doing some thinking.
I would love to complete my prime lens lineup, but because of my limited budget I don't think it's going to happen any time soon, looks like not this year unless LBA won't get better of me
Anyway, lenses I'm interrested in are DA pancakes. I have 40 and one sunny day I hope I'll add 70 and 21 (though that one is not decided upon with 100%).
Looking at their design it seems that 40 is as thin as it gets and going in either direction from it makes for thicker lenses (I don't count DA35 as it's macro lens). I was just thinking, how long lens can they do and keep it relatively thin/slim? Say no thicker than the new DA15 and keep it reasonably fast (say 2.8). Would it be possible to make 90/2.8 or something like that and keep the optical performance on level with the others?

Any thoughts on this?

BR

04-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #2

Pinhole lens?

How about a body cap with a pin hole? Can't get shorter than that...
Seriously, why not compare the extension of the lens plus an effective lens hood? Shooting without a lens hood seriously degrades any lens - I suspect more with the shorter lenses than the teles. Stray light is a real killer for IQ.
04-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pinhole is neat, but far from fast. I agree though that the lens hood is a must, IMO, for optimal IQ, although I rarely use it when I use my DA35LTD. I too hope to get all od the DAxxLTD's eventually and hope and pray that they make a DA1xxLTD someday. They were able to make a relatively small SMC-A 100mm, I think if the powers that be put their heads together can do it again.
04-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 77mm Ltd is pretty small and it's not far from 90mm and is 1.8. So, a compact 90mm 2.8 should be doable. Whether they will do it or not is another question.