Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Promaster Spectrum 1.7x TC with Tamron 70-200mm

While theres no substitute for good glass, those on a budget and wanting to shoot long have a tendency to try TCs'. I really like the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 and I thought I'd try it today with the Promaster 1.7x. The auto-focus works very well with this combo. The Tamron hunts a bit without the TC and and there is very little difference with the TC attached. All of the pics were shot at 200mm, f3.5, 400iso, 1/250th on an overcast day, raw, no pp. Heres the original and a 100% crop

Last edited by ivoire; 10-04-2010 at 03:58 PM.
04-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
While theres no substitute for good glass, those on a budget and wanting to shoot long have a tendency to try TCs'. I really like the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 and I thought I'd try it today with the Promaster 1.7x. The auto-focus works very well with this combo. The Tamron hunts a bit without the TC and and there is very little difference with the TC attached. All of the pics were shot at 200mm, f3.5, 400iso, 1/250th on an overcast day, raw, no pp. Heres the original and a 100% crop
Thought I'd add images with the f*300 + 1.7xtc for comparison. For those interested, I've only been able to find one store that carries it and I have no affiliation with them:

http://www.wolfes.com/eshop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=6345&substring=tele+converter

04-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the reports. I was part of the culprits in advocating the Promaster Spectrum 7 1.7x AF TC last year. I bought it new in ebay with the Wolfes store in ebay. It was $69.00 + shipping for a while and they recently raised the price quite a bit. That TC tend to hunt a bit more than the Tamron TC but I find it very usable with my consumer zoom such as the Tamron 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 in the 300mm with good light condition. TC adds CA but I find it less when used on my CA prone zoom. After I get my Pentax F-1.7x AF TC, I sold my Promaster. In hindsight, I should have kept it due to the low cost and how well it does with AF.

Unlike the Tamron Pz-AF 1.4x TC, I don't think that promaster TC will work on DA* with SDM, has anyone tried it?

Thanks,
Hin
04-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Thanks for the reports. I was part of the culprits in advocating the Promaster Spectrum 7 1.7x AF TC last year. I bought it new in ebay with the Wolfes store in ebay. It was $69.00 + shipping for a while and they recently raised the price quite a bit. That TC tend to hunt a bit more than the Tamron TC but I find it very usable with with my consumer zoom such as the Tamron 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 in the 300mm. TC adds CA but I find it less when used on my CA prome zoom. After I get my Pentax F-1.7x AF TC, I sold my Promaster. In hindsight, I should have kept it due to the low cost and how well it does with AF.

Unlike the Tamron Pz-AF 1.4x TC, I don't think that promaster TC will not work on DA* with SDM, has anyone tried it?
hinman, I bought it after reading your excellent blog. I owned the Pentax 1.7 for a while and sold it (it paid for half the f*300mm) and don't regret it as I rarely shoot manual. I just wrote a short review of the promaster and used your blog as a reference... hope thats ok. I paid $99.99 with free shipping.

04-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

hinman, I bought it after reading your excellent blog. I owned the Pentax 1.7 for a while and sold it (it paid for half the f*300mm) and don't regret it as I rarely shoot manual. I just wrote a short review of the promaster and used your blog as a reference... hope thats ok.
Thanks for the compliment. You should have kept the Pentax F-1.7x AF TC. It will be a great combination with your F* 300mm f/4.5, but I truly understand the struggle there on the funding and the manual focusing part. Both good tele prime and a TC are essential. I would do the same thing if I were you. But when the funding gets better, I highly recommend the Pentax F-1.7x AF TC. But please learn it from my mistakes, don't trade the Promaster 1.7x as the Pentax F-1.7x can't replace the promaster on the fact that the Pentax-F 1.7x TC works better with manual focus lens. With AF lens, you need to work on manual focusing to get to the close focusing point. Here is a shot using the Pentax F-1.7x TC on a Soligor 200mm f/2.8 in M42 mount

Soligor 200mm f/2.8 in M42 and
Pentax F-1.7x AF TC
manual focus hand-held

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 04-02-2009 at 11:56 AM.
04-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice pics hinman. I agree I should have kept it, but the new Pentax TC was supposed to come out and I sold waaaaaay too soon. Heres another f*300mm with the promaster, no pp. With that white/grey finish i'm glad they didn't think i was launching a stinger

04-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Cool - looks like good results.

The Tamron hunts a bit without the TC and and there is very little difference with the TC attached.
Sorry to hear your Tamron hunts - Mine just snaps into focus (well, I suppose it still does - it's in to Tamron right now with a sticky aperture ). I did tend to hunt a bit when used on the Kenko 1.5x TC I've got... I hope it comes back soon, I've been trying to make do with the DA* 50-135, but it's no competition to that Tamron* 70-200 (DA's too short, and doesn't give the closeup magnification the Tammy does).
04-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote

Sorry to hear your Tamron hunts - Mine just snaps into focus (well, I suppose it still does - it's in to Tamron right now with a sticky aperture ). I did tend to hunt a bit when used on the Kenko 1.5x TC I've got... I hope it comes back soon, I've been trying to make do with the DA* 50-135, but it's no competition to that Tamron* 70-200 (DA's too short, and doesn't give the closeup magnification the Tammy does).
I'm reasonably happy with the IQ of this TC and the auto-focus works very well with both lenses, a big plus. I'm not really a TC fan, even tho I now own 3, but they do come in handy. I almost went for the 50-135 but decided i really wanted the reach and most of my Tammy pics have been at 150-200mm and a few 'pseudo' macro shots. While not a true macro, the close focus has proven to be a plus. If your Tamron snaps to, I may send mine in to have it looked over. Its not anything extreme and not much different than the f*300 focus. These are my primary lenses and get used more than any of the others.

04-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote

Josh, I understand your liking of Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 over DA* 50-135mm, you may get me converted at some point. I often contemplate in selling my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 for farther reach. But the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 does have the nice range for portraits. For nature and close up, the 70-200mm f/2.8 would serve better. If you are onto portraits later on, don't pass up the DA* so soon as that is perhaps the best zoom for portraits with longer reach after my Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8.

Thanks,
Hin
04-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Nice pics hinman. I agree I should have kept it, but the new Pentax TC was supposed to come out and I sold waaaaaay too soon. Heres another f*300mm with the promaster, no pp. With that white/grey finish i'm glad they didn't think i was launching a stinger
The Pentax roadmap can't be trusted. I am glad that I don't rely on the roadmap and rumours and have kept my copy of Tarmon 1.4x and Pentax 1.7x.

You have a decent picture with your F* 300mm f/4.5 and the Promaster 1.7x. There are other Pentax TC that I am not familiar as in rear converter. Maybe we should research into those.

Last edited by hinman; 04-03-2009 at 12:54 PM.
04-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just posted info on the Kenko 2x mc7 af dg tc. I'm satisfied with the images produced by the promaster and the kenkos I own. Until I get that sigma 500mm prime, these will fill the gap.