Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TAKUMAR 135 vs PENTAX 18-250

I just got my m42 adapter so i could use my takumar 135mm chrome and black pre set lens on my k20d.i set up the subject matter on my deck at approx 20ft and tried both lenses to see what the difference would be.
The reason i set up "products" is the printing and colorization of the items that should show how sharp each lens performs.this is only my first round of comparisons but what i see so far i give the takumar the edge when you look at the images cropped very tightly.i used center focus mode on the shots.when focusing with the takumar i shot when the icon lit up which let me know that the focus was right.i don't trust my old eyes that much.the regular shots are pretty much the same but when i cropped a small portion of the box on the left the takumar image was better.for an all purpose lens the 18-250 is so far a good lens to have.i don't know how often i'll use the takumar until i do further testing.the photos that are included with this thread have the info on them that designates which pic is taken with what lens.i would like to hear from takumar "purists" who could guide me in further test to take---charliezap

Last edited by charliezap; 09-18-2010 at 12:32 PM.
04-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I just got my m42 adapter so i could use my takumar 135mm chrome and black pre set lens on my k20d.
I have that lens and really like it

Very interesting comparison.
Pete
04-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
Forum Member

I want to see a comparison between the takumar and the DA 50-200 or the DA 55-300.
04-03-2009, 03:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yesterday I tested my pentax 18-250 against the FA 50mm f/1.4. I made a lot of pictures, different apertures, different objects, different textures--the results were almost disturbing. Frankly, I could not say one was better than the other. Even colors and bokeh were similar, but the sharpness of 18-250 simply amazed me. Of course, I made the comparison at 50mm--and, surely, it doesn't behave the same at all focal lengths. Anyway, I was so impressed by the 18-250, that I could not but wonder whether my copy was an exceptionally good one. Or maybe my FA 50mm is terrible; but I haven't heard of failed primes. (I'm a newbie, however...)

04-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Yesterday I tested my pentax 18-250 against the FA 50mm f/1.4. I made a lot of pictures, different apertures, different objects, different textures--the results were almost disturbing. Frankly, I could not say one was better than the other. Even colors and bokeh were similar, but the sharpness of 18-250 simply amazed me. Of course, I made the comparison at 50mm--and, surely, it doesn't behave the same at all focal lengths. Anyway, I was so impressed by the 18-250, that I could not but wonder whether my copy was an exceptionally good one. Or maybe my FA 50mm is terrible; but I haven't heard of failed primes. (I'm a newbie, however...)
Unless I'm mistaken, which I certainly could be as I am a noob also, plus not having the 50mm 1.4, but the 50mm is softer wide open so depending on what aperture you used, it may not have been ideal. At least with my 50mm f2.0 lens, I hear people advice to leave it at f8 and change as the situation calls for it as it's rather soft at f2. I think your f1.4 is a tad sharper than the f2 but try a different setting and see how it goes.
04-04-2009, 05:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I share your love of Raisin Bran cereal but I must ask, was that an actual combination of food items you'd eat in a meal? Never tried the A1 on my cereal but i might if you endorse the practice...
...now rootbeer and rice is a no brainer...
04-04-2009, 05:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peppermonkey Quote
Unless I'm mistaken, which I certainly could be as I am a noob also, plus not having the 50mm 1.4, but the 50mm is softer wide open so depending on what aperture you used, it may not have been ideal. At least with my 50mm f2.0 lens, I hear people advice to leave it at f8 and change as the situation calls for it as it's rather soft at f2. I think your f1.4 is a tad sharper than the f2 but try a different setting and see how it goes.
But to be a fair comparison though ... your really need to stop down the FA50 (into it's sharp zone anyway) ... to be within the 18-250mm aperature range anyway.

As the 18-250mm doesn't come in f/1.4 ... you wouldn't be shooting the FA50 at f/1.4 anyway ... it'd be around the f/4.5 or higher to compare.

04-04-2009, 07:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
of course I made the comparison for apertures 4.5 and above. if you're interested, I could post some pics.