Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Having bought a lot of used gear this has happened to me more than a few times. If it doesn't release with the rubber glove / mousepad trick, then it's on there pretty well. I usually just unscrew the inner ring holding the glass, then take some pliars and bend the filter inwards a little working my way around it (be careful with the lens front element!). Eventually it'll come loose. A little unnerving, but works every time.

04-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Having bought a lot of used gear this has happened to me more than a few times. If it doesn't release with the rubber glove / mousepad trick, then it's on there pretty well. I usually just unscrew the inner ring holding the glass, then take some pliars and bend the filter inwards a little working my way around it (be careful with the lens front element!). Eventually it'll come loose. A little unnerving, but works every time.
Pingflood's method sounds good. Remove the filter element, then sqiush the filter ring as he says.

If the lens filter threads are plastic & the filter ring is aluminum then cooling with ice or freon might work (the plastic will shrink more than the aluminum when cooled.)

Iowa Dave
04-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zeroset Quote
I have a filter literally stuck on my 50mm f/1.4. Luckily it's a nice filter, so it's not the end of the world--but I would like to remove it. I've taken it to my local professional camera shop twice now for this issue, and believe me they (and myself) have tried with all their might, but it will not budge. I was advised to try refrigerating the lens to see if the change in temperature would play with it just enough to get it to budge... no dice.

Anybody have any ideas that won't damage the lens?

I have an idea as to how it might have gotten stuck on there too. I bought a cheap craptastic lens hood for it that like twisted onto the filter, which I think I tightened just a little too much the first time I put it on. That's the only thing I can think of. I've never had this problem with my other two lenses with filters (which have "normal" lens hoods).
a chisel and 20 lb hammer

Dave
04-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #19
Forum Member

The freezer idea sounds best to me. The metal on the ring of the filter may shrink at a higher temperature than the metal of the lens itself. Even try heating (not over-heating) and try.

04-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks all for the responses. The camera store did try the filter wrenches, and the use of a rubber band, different types of pressure, etc. I may try the freezer trick. I don't want to do anything that might risk damaging the lens--I'd rather just keep the filter on there than risk that. So I might avoid some of these more "risky" methods. But I'll keep you guys updated.
04-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #21

I may try the freezer trick.
I don't have FA 50mm f1.4, but do have the FA 32mm f2, and I don't think the FA 35mm has a metal filter mount. It seems to be plastic. Is the FA 50mm built with a metal filter mount?

Last edited by poco; 04-04-2009 at 09:13 PM.
04-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #22

Take off the filter ring.....

The filter is screwed into a plastic ring that is held in place with 3 screws. Move the ring out so you can get a screwdriver at it. Then take out the three screws. Work on the filter seperation then replace the ring on the lens. I know this because I fell breaking the filter ring. You can order one from 'Advance Camera Portland Or.
Good luck

04-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Not sure (without looking), but I don't think it matters anyway, if that's in regards to the freezer idea. I just tried it and no dice. I put the lens in the freezer for a little over an hour, then took one of those rubber jar opener things and place the lens face down on top of it, applying even pressure and trying to twist the filter off. No dice. Then tried using the rubber pad as a means to grip it with my hand and twist it off, still no dice. I could get a good grip, but just couldn't get it to budge. I think I'm SOL unless I want to try something more extreme.

pingflood - You said unscrew the inner ring of the filter, but I see nothing to unscrew.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it (or at least the ones tarponn22 described). I'll consider trying this.
04-04-2009, 10:50 PM   #24

Not sure (without looking), but I don't think it matters anyway, if that's in regards to the freezer idea.
If plastic, a series of cooling and returns to room temperature might loosen the filter. I wouldn't try loosening the filter until maybe 10-30 cycles. Maybe even room temperature to 100 degrees F with an electric heating pad to swell the metal in the filter a little.

The over tightening would either compress the plastic or cut threads. By expanding and contracting the metal repetitively, you might get the filter to work itself out a little, just by wearing down the plastic. If plastic, just leaving it alone for a year might end up with the issue resolving itself. Going from AC 70 degrees F to 100 degrees F summer weather, or heated interior 70 degrees to 45 degrees winter weather enough times might just do it. Or even the movement of the lens in the bag, small vibrations, knocks against other lenses, ...

Tight metal on metal might end up with some bonding and won't work itself out.

If plastic, I might just leave it alone.
04-05-2009, 01:39 AM   #25
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
great idea that works

I had a cokin ring jammed on my 10-20 and this saved me.
QuoteOriginally posted by poco Quote
Pressing the lens filter into a soft mouse pad on a flat surface while twisting, might also be worth a try.

I have removed a stuck step down ring by using a screw in, round, metal hood in the ring. Having my palm grip the hood, with my fingers wrapped around the step down ring allowed enough purchase to loosen it.
04-05-2009, 02:47 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I suggest that you not remove the stuck filter ring. Leave it in place - it will protect the plastic lens ring & prevent the next filter from getting stuck.

Remove the bezel ring holding the filter glass in place (there are usually 2 notches in the bezel that can be used to unscrew it) and remove the filter element.

After destroying a lens trying to remove a stuck filter, I've left such a ring in place on my plastic lenses.

Iowa Dave
04-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Actually this have occured to myself a few times with a lens that had damaged front, just take a towel and wrap around the filter ring firmly, with your other hand a firm grip around the lens and gently squezing the ring in its open direction. This helped me and is the best way not to damage any item and saves your hands also.
04-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #28

Sometimes it works to grab just the edge of the filter with your thumb and a finger and rotate it off.
04-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #29
Inactive Account

1.) Take it off with a pipe wrench.
2.) Don't screw your filters on so tight in the future.

c[_]
04-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
If only you guys could see for yourself. Between the camera shop and myself, just about every method involving grip and strength has been exhausted, and the filter doesn't so much as budge. It may as well be welded on there. I may just leave it on, I really don't want to risk damaging the lens. I was kind of curious about using some kind of lubricant such as WD-40, but not if it's going to mess with the coating on the lens.

I'm still hearing ideas if anybody has any that haven't been mentioned yet, though.