Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Filter stuck on lens. Suggestions?

I have a filter literally stuck on my 50mm f/1.4. Luckily it's a nice filter, so it's not the end of the world--but I would like to remove it. I've taken it to my local professional camera shop twice now for this issue, and believe me they (and myself) have tried with all their might, but it will not budge. I was advised to try refrigerating the lens to see if the change in temperature would play with it just enough to get it to budge... no dice.

Anybody have any ideas that won't damage the lens?

I have an idea as to how it might have gotten stuck on there too. I bought a cheap craptastic lens hood for it that like twisted onto the filter, which I think I tightened just a little too much the first time I put it on. That's the only thing I can think of. I've never had this problem with my other two lenses with filters (which have "normal" lens hoods).

04-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

did the shop have these kind of tools ?

otherwise applying a little lubricant (wd40 or so) can help, don't spray it on directly, you don't want it on any glass.

George
04-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I might break your lens, so I would wait to hear what others say first. If no one has any better ideas I would work it back and forth (tighten and loosen it) several times and then give it a good twist. If that didn't work, I would get some large channel lock pliers and try twisting a little harder. If that didn't work, I would try "squeezing" the filter to gently unseat it (and then untwist it). If that didn't work, I would get a cheap glass cutter from a hardware store and carefully break the filter's glass... then I would take the channel locks and gently squeeze it in a few spots and/or collapse it and get it out once and for all.
04-03-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
thats really wierd, my uv filter is stuck on my fa 50 1.4 right now too.
its a good one as well so im not too bothered however there is a spec of dust under there

could always crush the filter off with pliers without damage to the lens, if you really wanted. (since its thread is inside the lenses.)

04-03-2009, 01:42 AM   #5

Ever Get a Filter Stuck on Your Lens? - Photo Tips @ Earthbound Light
04-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Just kidding. Good luck getting it off, had the same thing happen with a polarizer getting stuck in an adapter ring a while ago which I finally had to remove with some pliers.
04-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Try this:
Put on a pair of rubber gloves. Latex gloves used for dishwashing is fine.
Take the lens (with rear cap on) in your left hand cradling it in such a way that it's weight is on your palm.
Press aganst the filter HARD with your right palm. The entire filter ring needs to be in contact with your hand.
While pressing hard, rotate the filter off the lens.
The cap will release from the bayonet, don't worry, it's just there to protect the mechanism from damage.
The filter should release from the lens.

Filter wrenches generally don't work since they deform the filter ring and make them grab even tighter.
Remember in future, filters should not be put onto a lens with any torque. As soon as the filter seats, it's too tight.

04-03-2009, 11:10 AM   #8

Pressing the lens filter into a soft mouse pad on a flat surface while twisting, might also be worth a try.

I have removed a stuck step down ring by using a screw in, round, metal hood in the ring. Having my palm grip the hood, with my fingers wrapped around the step down ring allowed enough purchase to loosen it.
04-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Hey, that's my chainsaw!

QuoteOriginally posted by Agnostic Quote

Just kidding. Good luck getting it off, had the same thing happen with a polarizer getting stuck in an adapter ring a while ago which I finally had to remove with some pliers.
04-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
Inactive Account

If all else fails.......lol !
Attached Images

04-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You could try putting a thin piece of tape around the threads on the craptastic lens hood. Screw it firmly back onto the filter enough to get it to grip the filter. Next try to remove the hood and filter as a unit by gripping the junction of the hood/filter. It might give you the leverage you need without breaking something. This could be done in conjunction with a sparing application of wd-40 already suggested.

Last edited by mithrandir; 04-03-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Added thought
04-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
Inactive Account

What about this…..only $6.99 !

Amco Comfort Grip Jar Opener. Free Shipping. Lifetime Guarantee. Price: $6.99

Best regards
Richard
Attached Images

04-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Try this:
Put on a pair of rubber gloves. Latex gloves used for dishwashing is fine.
Take the lens (with rear cap on) in your left hand cradling it in such a way that it's weight is on your palm.
Press aganst the filter HARD with your right palm. The entire filter ring needs to be in contact with your hand.
While pressing hard, rotate the filter off the lens.
The cap will release from the bayonet, don't worry, it's just there to protect the mechanism from damage.
The filter should release from the lens.

Filter wrenches generally don't work since they deform the filter ring and make them grab even tighter.
Remember in future, filters should not be put onto a lens with any torque. As soon as the filter seats, it's too tight.
That's the right idea. Using things that squeeze the threads against the lens threads just make things tighter. I can usually get my tight ones off by pinching the lip of the filter between my thumb & forefinger and twisting.

Keep us posted!
04-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zeroset Quote
I have a filter literally stuck on my 50mm f/1.4. Luckily it's a nice filter, so it's not the end of the world--but I would like to remove it. I've taken it to my local professional camera shop twice now for this issue, and believe me they (and myself) have tried with all their might, but it will not budge. (snip)(

If a camera shop couldn't remove it, that filter is obviously on there firmly. I'd normally recommend rubber gloves (like kitchen dishwashing gloves) and only gently squeezing to avoid warping the filter out of shape while twisting, but don't think that will work in this instance. Perhap several small drops of clean bottled water (don't use messy oil-based lubricants) between the filter and lens, followed by the rubber gloves after the water has had a few moments to work through the threads. Maybe the water will provide enough lubrication to free the filter.

If that doesn't work, the filter is probably cross-threaded (a write off). Go to the hardware store and buy a pair of pliers with an opening big enough to fit the sides of the filter. Squeezing just enough to firmly grip the filter (no more, and don't damage the lens), force the filter off and throw it away. Afterwards, clean the threads on the lens and carefully tread another filter onto the lens to see if the treads are damaged. If not, be especially carefuly not to cross-thread or over tighten other filters in the future.

stewart
04-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #15

I put the lens in a freezer bag with caps on both ends, but it in the freezer for an hour and the filter will come off with almost no effort after it gets cold. Works every time for me!

Tom