Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Serious Advice on lens needed

Hi

If you had a photo bag with

K20D
DA 18-55, DA 12-24, FA* 31, FA 50 1.4, FA* 77, DFA 100mm macro
Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Tamron 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 70-300

Would you also get FA* 24mm ? or just keep the money for now?

Thanks

04-03-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

it would depend on how much money I had.
You can never own too much lenses you know

But in my case, I would not buy it. I would save it for future lenses that are on the way in
04-03-2009, 03:44 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Personally I wouldn't.

My hypothetical bag already has 24mm covered several times over by excellent lenses, and a prime that is only 7mm off that is one of the best lenses ever made.

I'd save my pennies for something different.

c[_]
04-03-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Would you also get FA* 24mm ? or just keep the money for now?
The question: WHY? What do you intend to do with that lens. You have covered 24mm with the reputedly excellent 12-24mm and with your kit lens. The FA* 24mm offers one important advantage, though, and that is speed, a full 2 f-stops over the zooms. If that is important to you, then go for it.
I personally have one and use it, especially for indoors use.

Ben

04-03-2009, 04:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
The question: WHY? What do you intend to do with that lens. You have covered 24mm with the reputedly excellent 12-24mm and with your kit lens. The FA* 24mm offers one important advantage, though, and that is speed, a full 2 f-stops over the zooms. If that is important to you, then go for it.
I personally have one and use it, especially for indoors use.

Ben
Hi Ben

I also have AF 540 and 360 FGZ flash for light problems indoors. But in some places we can't use flash.
I'm not sure since I got FA* 31mm (waiting for her to arrive ) and probably FA 31 will work out and so FA 24 will not be needed ?

Two requests for you, if possible, can you post a image of FA 24 next to FA 31 and/or FA 50 ?? For size scale. And can you describe/show for what you use FA 24 instead of FA 31mm ? I think you are in a good position since you own the two lenses to help me with this "issue".

Thanks
04-03-2009, 05:48 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm really interested in this one. I have 31myself but nothing decent and anywhere near fast under 31. My 10-20 is too slow, too wide flashless indoors. 21 could be faster and 24 is then the only AF Lens to fill the gap. Personally I think difference between 31 and 24 in terms of FOV would be worth it, but reviews on Fa 24* are very mixed. i think at the end it'll come down to money. If you feel you can afford it and you think you would use it enough then get it. If you'll end up not liking it you can always resell it (I'll gladly buy it from you )
just my 2p

BR
04-03-2009, 06:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Hi Ben

I also have AF 540 and 360 FGZ flash for light problems indoors. But in some places we can't use flash.
I'm not sure since I got FA* 31mm (waiting for her to arrive ) and probably FA 31 will work out and so FA 24 will not be needed ?

Two requests for you, if possible, can you post a image of FA 24 next to FA 31 and/or FA 50 ?? For size scale. And can you describe/show for what you use FA 24 instead of FA 31mm ? I think you are in a good position since you own the two lenses to help me with this "issue".

Thanks
I'll post something tonight. Just now, I have to "work" in the garden, it's tea time... And the first glorious nearly summer day here.

Ben

04-03-2009, 06:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I'm really interested in this one. I have 31myself but nothing decent and anywhere near fast under 31. My 10-20 is too slow, too wide flashless indoors. 21 could be faster and 24 is then the only AF Lens to fill the gap. Personally I think difference between 31 and 24 in terms of FOV would be worth it, but reviews on Fa 24* are very mixed. i think at the end it'll come down to money. If you feel you can afford it and you think you would use it enough then get it. If you'll end up not liking it you can always resell it (I'll gladly buy it from you )
just my 2p

BR
I won't anybody discourage buying this lens. I personally love it - it has limitations, but I always found it to be very useful. And by the way, it is nicely made...

Ben
04-03-2009, 06:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Why not the Sigma 20mm 1.8?

Cheaper, wider, reputedly excellent quality.
04-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

There's a similar thread here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/55286-fa-24mm-fa-31mm.html

..wait a sec, it was started by you!

The FA*24 has good resale value, so there's not a huge risk in buying one--you can likely get at least 90% your money back or even make a small profit in a better economy

Your bag sounds full, but can anybody really talk someone out of another lens?
04-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote

Your bag sounds full, but can anybody really talk someone out of another lens?
Point is when I got FA 77 I never thought I has going to enjoy the lens so much. Then FA 50 and such a jewel, now FA 31 on my way arriving any minute ...... so, the question is, I can get one more with my budget, or not (can just keep the money for later use). But if I get one more lens I think the best option is the FA 24.

I love my zooms, problem is I'm treasuring my primes more and more ......
04-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
......I would save it for future lenses that are on the way in

Which ones ?

(With the 70-200 f2.8 and with 1.4 and 2x teleconverter I get 300/4 and 400/5.6)
04-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #13

I wouldnt buy FA*24mm, you have so many great lenses to play around that it doesnt make sense for me. And some people talk about the FA*24 not being so great even though it is a Star lens.

Cheers.
04-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cooldude14es Quote
I wouldnt buy FA*24mm, you have so many great lenses to play around that it doesnt make sense for me. And some people talk about the FA*24 not being so great even though it is a Star lens.

Cheers.
Nobody has ever had enough...that's why there is LBA, isn't it?

I wish I can be content too but sometimes it's so much fun having all of the great lenses and tried it on.
I've bought and sell many lenses before I decided to keep some of them that I really need or want

If photography is your hobby. I don't see anything wrong with trying a new stuff. You can always sell it again if you don't like or need it later.

But of course, if it harms you or your family financially, I don't think it's a good decision to buy more stuff especially you've already had many good lenses.
But if you have extra spare money that you don't use, why not?
Anyway FA* 24 is a good investment where you don't lose your money. You can always recover it or even make profit, not like you're buying laptop/pc that worth nothing after some times.
04-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

If my bag had all that i would be very happy