Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
Oh, just to make sure the aperture ring is locked in place I'd move it to some f-stop (doesn't matter) then move it back to "A". Make sure that it locks into place.
John
Sorry to trouble you John but thank you so much for the detailled instructions.
I will try this tomorrow. First I have to go and buy an eraser (been digging in the drawer but I can't find one decent looking eraser)

What I forgotten to mention earlier in the post was that; I was also using sigma 1.4x TC with the 180macro lens. There was no problem with this combo since the day I got them.

In my effort to troubleshoot just now, I have removed the TC, tried the lenses with and without the TC, with all the function buttons in the right place, the f-stop is on "A" and both cameras (K10D and K20D) was also switched to AF-S or AF-C.

That means, tomorrow I will use the eraser on all the contact points on the 180macro lens and the 1.4x TC too. Right?

Sorry if I'm beginning to sound silly, but I need/want to do it right.
rae

Last edited by Tripod; 04-03-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: spelling correction
04-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tripod Quote
Sorry to trouble you John but thank you so much for the detailled instructions.
I will try this tomorrow. First I have to go and buy an eraser (been digging in the drawer but I can't find one decent looking eraser)

What I forgotten to mention earlier in the post was that; I was also using sigma 1.4x TC with the 180macro lens. There was no problem with this combo since the day I got them.

In my effort to troubleshoot just now, I have removed the TC, tried the lenses with and without the TC, with all the function buttons in the right place, the f-stop is on "A" and both cameras (K10D and K20D) was also switched to AF-S or AF-C.

That means, tomorrow I will use the eraser on all the contact points on the 180macro lens and the 1.4x TC too. Right?

Sorry if I'm beginning to sound silly, but I need/want to do it right.
rae
Yes, clean all the contacts on all the lenses. You don't HAVE to use an eraser, you could use a microfiber cloth (like one you clean eye glasses with) or something like that. Just put make sure you rub hard enough to get off any grime that could be on there.

No problem, we all have been there and are all glad to help out if we can

John
04-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tripod, cleaning the lens contacts on both sides: on the lens and on the camera bayonet is nothing to worry about. Just take a soft cloth and wipe these contacts. If you have Isopropylalcohol at hand (ask at the next pharmacie, if you don't), you can purr a few drops onto a soft tissue and wipe the contacts.

Otherwise I am still not convinced, that you really had the A-setting fixed. Sometimes it seems, that one has the A-setting in place, but it was just a tiny bit outside the "click".

One thing I would also suggest is to go into the menue of your K20 and enable the use of the aperture ring. (please refer to your manual for the exact location of that menue item). Then the lens should function even with the aperture ring not at the A-setting.

It is highly unprobable (though, not absolutely ruled out), that the lens really broke. Perhaps you could also see, whether the lens has a bit of play, when mounted on the camera. If you can rotate it just a tiny bit to the left or right on camera, this might be enough to have good contact between lens and body - or not.

Ben
04-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The "A" contact is recessed a bit on the camera. When the lens' aperture ring is set to the "A" position, the appropriate pin should protrude; if it does not, the camera will not know an "A" lens is mounted.

There is a reasonable chance that is the problem - The lens' "A" pin is not protruding as it should. You can check just by looking at it. I also recommend testing by inserting a small ball of aluminum foil over the "A" contact on the camera and then on the TC to isolate the problem - when contact is successful, "F--" wil be replaced by "F" followed by numbers.

Iowa Dave