Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Sigma I80mm Macro

Hi,
I just got my 180 macro about 2 months ago. Been doing some indoor macro during winter months and it is a great lens. Today, while doing outdoor macrowork, the K20D suddenly showed the sign F---
and the camera just freeze. I tried all the basic trouble shooting, changing battery, SD card, turn to manual focusing but the camera still not responding.

Thinking that the K20D is a gone case, I switched the 180macro lens to my old K10D. Same thing. K10D showed the same sign F--- and the camera just doesn't work.

I put on other lenses on both the cameras and both k10D and k20D function as usual perfectly.

Btw, when switched to manual, The 180macro ring is very loose. Usually I can feel the gears engaged. This happened while the camera and lens was mounted on the tripod.

Is is the contact point? The gears gave up? Is it a motor problem.
This lens is very new and well taken care. I am a female with gentle touch (lol) The lens never had a knock, bump or fell down. I treat it like a baby. Really love this lens.

What do you think is happening?

04-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't have this lens but have you checked to see if the aperture ring is set on A or not?
Sometimes when I played with the aperture ring and forget to turn it back to "A" position, the camera can't recognize because it might assume the lens is MF.

Hope this helps.
04-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have this lens and other Sigmas as well. Not to insult your intelligence, but as the previous poster said, you should check the aperture ring. I would just double check all settings and if you cannot figure out the issue you may have to send it to Sigma for warranty service. Good luck. I hope it all works out for you.
04-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, I have check it, both ways - Mf and Auto function.

Both K10D and K20D suddenly could not read/communicate with the lens.

I just found out, from local sigma website, they don't even carry this model in their product line. I couldn't get them on the phone today as its already after office hours.

04-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmmm, well it is still on the Sigma USA website.

Sigma - Lenses
04-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tripod Quote
When people said to check the "A" setting they didn't mean check the Auto focus/Manual focus. What they meant was to check the aperture ring on the lens itself (where you can choose an f-stop) and make sure it is on "A". If it moves off of "A" then the camera thinks you are using the lens to set the f-stop.

Sorry if that is what you did indeed check, just from the quote above it seemed like you might be checking the incorrect thing.

John

Oh, did you try cleaning all the contacts on the lens? Maybe they got dirty?
04-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hmm...so was your aperture ring on A position?
Just make sure that your camera switched to AF-S or AF-C,
then check the aperture ring position is set to A.
You might want to try to clean the contacts on the lens as well and mount it back.

Good luck!
04-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
When people said to check the "A" setting they didn't mean check the Auto focus/Manual focus. What they meant was to check the aperture ring on the lens itself (where you can choose an f-stop) and make sure it is on "A". If it moves off of "A" then the camera thinks you are using the lens to set the f-stop.

Sorry if that is what you did indeed check, just from the quote above it seemed like you might be checking the incorrect thing.

John
I'll bet the aperture ring setting is the issue. I've had the same experience but by good luck (rather than wisdom) figured it out before posting.

04-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, I've check the f-stop and it is on "A"

and both camera (K10D and K20D) was switched to AF-S or AF-C at the same time.

....but no, I have not tried cleaning the contacts yet.

I've never done any technical fiddling before and haven't got the tool. If contact is the problem, I look forward to buy whatever tools needed for cleaning the contacts (which I have no idea yet where to get them tomorrow)

I really hope it is the contact problem. What's your best method for cleaning the contacts?

StephenMerola: I am in Switzerland but got the lens from the states. This is where my challenge began, because this lens is not sold/available here/locally. I still have no idea how to get it to the service centre, wherever that maybe....
04-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Clean the contacts with a pencil eraser.
04-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Clean the contacts with a pencil eraser.
Seriously?

Could you kindly elaborate, perhaps with a bit of instructions.
I'm getting nervous just thinking about how I'm going to do this.

Is there any instruction on youtube? or anywhere else on the net?
04-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #12

I'm always reading how great Sigma customer service is, so I would try calling locally for service and try to get help that way, see if they will do it or complain that you bought in different country.
04-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Seriously?

Could you kindly elaborate, perhaps with a bit of instructions.
I'm getting nervous just thinking about how I'm going to do this.

Is there any instruction on youtube? or anywhere else on the net?
Step 1: Take lens off camera
Step 2: Look at the back of the lens (where it makes contact with the camera). You'll see the contacts (see image below)
Step 3: Take pencil eraser and rub on the contacts just like you are erasing a mistake
Step 4: Brush off any eraser "crumbs"
Step 5: Put the lens on and see if that helped

In this image you can see the contacts on the lower right hand part of this Teleconverter. You'll see the same type of contacts on your lens.

04-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Oh, just to make sure the aperture ring is locked in place I'd move it to some f-stop (doesn't matter) then move it back to "A". Make sure that it locks into place.

John
04-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kathyk Quote
I'm always reading how great Sigma customer service is, so I would try calling locally for service and try to get help that way, see if they will do it or complain that you bought in different country.
I've also read many times positive stories about sigma customer service (which is why I bought sigma over the other competitors) when I called just now, nobody answered the phone, not even automated one ( it was a bit late anyway, quarter to five, but maybe everyone left early? busy? due to extended weekend - PalmSunday) but I did fill up their web online forms for queries, which I'm sure nobody will see it until Monday.

I actually went into chat with B&H customer service people (I got the lens from them) and the guy who responded, he could not come up with anything else but directed me back to sigma website, which again took me to the same local (swiss) site where I had filled up the query forms. I was going in circles. The 800 numbers doesn't work either, even when I was calling from LAN connection. (must be one of those days when nothing works)

Very strange too, suddenly there are no one around whom I can exchange some thoughts for troubleshooting. Thank goodness there are people in here!!