Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
jeffkpotter

Vintage Asahi M42 Macro Bellows

Does anybody know when this model was made, or if a bellows lens was made for it? I have one of these but
I am looking for a replacement as mine is broken. Anybody know where I might find one just like it?

04-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't a clue - my Asahi bellows has two rails snd looks different than yours:

I didn't realize there were >1 style... another historical thing to figure out.

I found a slide copy attachment for mine for $5...

I've seen there was a 100mm Bellows Takumar
04-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
jeffkpotter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I haven't a clue - my Asahi bellows has two rails snd looks different than yours:
[URL=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nesster/2548060472/]

I didn't realize there were >1 style... another historical thing to figure out.
Thanks Nesster. That's a impressively big heavy duty bellows you've got there.
Great to see what your doing.
04-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

That has to be very late in the screw mount era. I have a Pentax screw mount bellows that is a dual rail like Nesster's, and a K-mount that is a single rail like yours. I'd bet that your bellows was made between 1972 and 1975.
There was a 100 f/4 bellows Takumar, as well as an equivalent lens made for the K mount.
I have the Takumar version and have found it to be an excellent lens.

Whats broken, BTW?

04-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Hmmmm.....I have one with a single rail, but it's not an Auto Bellows.

This is the only pic I have of it:

04-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@maxwell1295: Out of curiosity, who made your bellows? I've got the same set but a previous owner removed the plate with the manufacturer's name on it. I have a 105mm enlarger lens that I use on mine with an m39 to m42 adaptor (ironically I was just given an enlarger but it has a modified Twin Lens Reflex lens on it instead of an enlarger lens).
04-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
Banned

the Asahi Pentax Auto-Bellows was in fact a late version of the screwmount bellows. I believe there was an even later II version. the K version of the auto bellows is identical (other than the K mount) yes, Pentax made a bellows lens. the Bellows-Takumar 1:4/100 Die Cast Pro - Bellows-Takumar 100mm f/4.0 as well as a later K mount version of the samelens http://www.pbase.com/equipment/image/71158872 I don't know when exactly the auto bellows was manufactured but I would guess sometime in the early to mid 70's. these can often be seen on ebay, in fact I think there are some listed right now. the more complete and 'mint' they are of course the higher the cost. the K mount version of this (like my Auto bellows M) are more rare, but the screwmount versions pop up on ebay all the time.
04-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #8

I have the M series of the bellow set and checked the user guide for a date. The guide was printed in 1981, so I'm assuming that the bellows set was built around the same time. Your model looks very similiar to the one I have, which I've never used, the thing is still in the original box.

04-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
jeffkpotter

These replies have been enormously useful and I thank everybody!!! To be able to tap into the impressive well of knowledge that some of you have is a real privilege. Additional info. is always of great interest. I have found an exact replacement for my bellows. If anybody has any more information I would welcome it.
04-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
@maxwell1295: Out of curiosity, who made your bellows? I've got the same set but a previous owner removed the plate with the manufacturer's name on it. I have a 105mm enlarger lens that I use on mine with an m39 to m42 adaptor (ironically I was just given an enlarger but it has a modified Twin Lens Reflex lens on it instead of an enlarger lens).
My bellows is an Asahi Pentax. The label in front says:

ASAHI PENTAX
BELLOWS UNIT
JAPAN
04-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
Does anybody know when this model was made, or if a bellows lens was made for it? I have one of these but
I am looking for a replacement as mine is broken. Anybody know where I might find one just like it?

I had that exact bellows last year and sold it to someone in this forum. It originally came with a slide copier.

I don't have any historical info on it, though.
04-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
I have the M series of the bellow set and checked the user guide for a date. The guide was printed in 1981, so I'm assuming that the bellows set was built around the same time. Your model looks very similiar to the one I have, which I've never used, the thing is still in the original box.

no. because your bellows is a K mount bellows, his bellows is m42 screwmount. probably a 10 year (or close to it) difference in manufacture date.
04-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Related note on lenses

"Additional info. is always of great interest.. If anybody has any more information I would welcome it.

When a standard lens is extended by bellows or rings so that it is closer to the subject than to the film/sensor plane the curvature of field is exaggerated. It is especially noticeable with flat objects and magnifications greater than 1:2. The advantage of bellows (and macro lenses in general) is that they are designed to compensate for that curvature of field at the expense of cost and different mechanical design. Bellows lenses generally don't have focus mechanisms as a combination of camera movement and bellows extension suffices. True macro lenses are more all-purpose.

A solution when using conventional lenses for close-up work is to reverse the lens with a reverser ring. An inexpensive reverser ring allows exploration of macro photography using existing conventional lenses. The reverser ring also acts a an extension ring to produce a slight increase in magnification and can be combined with rings or bellows for exaggerated effects.

As noted in other replies, many different types/brands of lenses can be used with bellows/rings. Reverser rings for your camera mount(s) eliminates the issue of lens mount variations as it uses a universal filter ring for attachment to the lens.

To see the effect of lens reversal simply hand-hold a a 35-135mm lens in front of your camera - and expect to get VERY CLOSE to the object to get it in focus.

H2
04-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote

Yes, there is a lens specific to this . It is a 100mm f.4. It is a non focussing mount and the optics are similar to the 100mm f4 macro lens. Pentax bellows appear from time to time on EBay
04-09-2014, 06:02 AM   #15

What lens

I have a single rail bellows as Maxvell1295 has, but I can´t figure out how things works. I get blur only, on whatever lens I try, and are wondering if there might be lenses specially suited for the system or whatever. A helpful tip would be very welcome.