Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2009, 09:48 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sigma vs Tamron Fast Zoom?

I've been generally happy with my DA18-55 kit lens (not the newer II version) but really want something faster. So I've decided to go for a constant f/2.8 zoom in the same range to use with my K200D. I've got the DA 50-200 so by staying in same range I've got 17-18 to 200 covered with just 2 lenses. I've eliminated the DA*16-50 based on price and so am considering the Tamron 17-50 or the Sigma 18-50 constant f/2.8 lenses.

I've read many reviews and forum entries on both lenses and am sure I'd be happy with either. However, I'd appreciate some input from owners of these lenses regarding these issues:

-Zoom creep: have seen indications this can become a problem with the Sigma. Have not seen any mention of creep with Tamron. I will be using the lens on tripod in both close to straight up and straight down positions, so creep would be a problem for me. I know the Tamron has a lock, but that won't prevent creep during use if I want to use it at anything other than 17mm (the locked position).

-Manual focus throw: Have heard Tamron has short throw making delicate and accurate manual focus adjustments difficult. Can Tamron owners comment on this?

Thanks for your input,
Steve

04-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
atnbirdie: Manual focus throw: Have heard Tamron has short throw making delicate and accurate manual focus adjustments difficult. Can Tamron owners comment on this?
I have used the Tamron on my K20 for one year now and love it. I often use manual focus and have no problems--I also have a split prism in the K20.

I have no problems with zoom creep. but I usually do not work the lens straight up or down.
04-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
ATNbirdie: -Zoom creep: have seen indications this can become a problem with the Sigma. Have not seen any mention of creep with Tamron. I will be using the lens on tripod in both close to straight up and straight down positions, so creep would be a problem for me. I know the Tamron has a lock, but that won't prevent creep during use if I want to use it at anything other than 17mm (the locked position).
I just took out the Tammy and tried to force it to creep--it won't budge. It doesn't matter what you do to it, zoom creep is a non-issue on this lens.
04-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I own the tammy and have never tried the siggy. As stated above creep is really a non-issue. The focus throw is definitely short and I don't MF with it very often. It would probably be much easier with the pentaprism viewfinder of the K10/K20 but on the K100/K200 it is a little more difficult to see.