Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2009, 03:21 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Farside Quote
I had difficulty finding a K-mount for my Novoflex, so settled for an M42 adapter, a COA, only cost around 20Euros, iirc. Suited me, as I have several M42 lenses and adapters already. New ones are about 140Euros, no contest.
The Novoflex adapters are still available from Novoflex for 69.90 Euros each, including the K-mount. (see: Novoflex - Adapters for fast-focusing lenses )

09-07-2009, 03:26 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Farside Quote
I can only speak of the later version, the Pigriff-C.
There's a button on the front handle, which gives you a choice of cable operation or electrical. The cable simply screws into the rear of the grip, or the electrical connection is available at the rear of the complete assembly, via a 2.5mm jack socket.
Simply turn the button horizontal or vertical to avail of which mode you want.
The problem with the electric connection is, that it is only 1-step. So you can trigger the camera, but you cannot switch the meter or AF-confirmation on, before triggering (no possibility for the half-way pressed shutter). Novoflex has no intention to provide a 2-step connection or trigger - I asked them about that.

They recommended to simply tape a standard cable release to the Novoflex handle...

Ben
09-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #63
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just wanted to thank Hin for documenting this lens, which persuaded me to get this one. Also HUGE thanks to xjjohhno, who tipped me off about it. Many thanks gents
09-10-2009, 02:48 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Well Nass, you realise we expect you to post the pics that you end up taking with your Tair 3A, first pics belong in this thread BTW.

09-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #65
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

... and I shall deliver

First tair shot:

A few more

- a real buggeration to catch these guys whilst trying to focus this thing, wow it's tough going

Just a focus test

Just a dof test

And a last one at asa1000 which makes it all worthwhile, and I couldn't give a stuff whether it's grainy or whatever because it's my little girl and she's got a cute smile on her

As you might imagine, my focusing screen can't come fast enough! The double aperture thing is weird, not sure what's doing on there, and the play in the M42 converter doesn't make me comfortable, but for the princely sum of 26 I'm really not complaining! Tragically I don't have that fetching rifle fitting though, I was rather looking forward to sporting that. It even came with a sexy green filter

edited to add these are all 4* jpgs at 100%, just resized down in CS3 so the forum can see them.

Last edited by Nass; 09-10-2009 at 01:20 PM.
09-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #66
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
... and I shall deliver
Very nice shots that you have with the Tair-3. Just curious if you happen to have the extra tabbing bar that is located beneath the lens barrel with a spring that serves to stop down the lens to the set aperture.

aperture is cocked at wide open position, wider than f/4.5
you see circular opening wider than f/4.5

once cocked, ready to fire
when gunstock push up the pin to tab the extra bar to stop down to set aperture

tabbing the bar will stop down the lens

It is a difficult lens to use but boy, the bokeh and color of the lens is what make it very unique. I kept swearing at the monster lens when I used it but every time when I look back at the results, I salute back to the monster lens. I joke about the toilet plunger lens hood that my copy has, I hope you have your toilet plunger, it is one of a kind

With a good monopod/tripod and a decent ball-head, this lens is not to be missed, but it can be ridiculously painful to make a shot. I need the patience that this lens can train me on. You get one shot and that is it for a particular scene!

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 09-10-2009 at 05:33 PM.
09-11-2009, 03:02 AM   #67
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm - no! My one doesn't look anything like yours - it's this one:

Apparently it's the "A version" which is slightly easier to focus!

It has 3 things to adjust, focus (which is quite near to the tripod hole), aperture settings towards the front (F this and that in clicks) and then some sort of aperture confirmation ring right in front of that. This confirmation ring allows stopping down - so basically I use it on fully manual. Ie guess then adjust.

In terms of focusing I actually find it easier to move myself forward than to adjust focus on the lens. It's very stiff - have you ever tried taking it apart to clean it up (mine has a hair inside, weird) and loosen this focus a bit? Any tips on this?

Other than that it's great fun!

This was another first for me, a moonshot (very very very hurried, don't look at the PP quality!) . I'm sure I could do better, if it's clear over the w/e I might make that this w/e project, see what I can get from it. I want to run some tests and see what various in-camera sharpness etc settings will do for me

Last edited by Nass; 09-11-2009 at 03:07 AM.
09-11-2009, 04:42 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Just a heads up -- someone on APUG is selling a Tair 300 photosniper kit for $115 right now. Not sure if it's m42. I have no afiliation with the seller.

Cheers,

Adam

09-11-2009, 04:58 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Snaiper kits go with a Zenit camera which are 42mm mount.
Nass, looks like you are getting some ok results despite a stiff focussing ring. You might try running the tiniest trickle of either Shellite or methylated spirits along the inside of the focus mechanism and then give a few turns, that worked for me to loosen up a stiff Pentacon 135mm lens. But make sure the fluid doesn't flow on to aqny elements ofr then there is a bit of grease to remove from the element. Try to figure out where that hair is in the lens, most front and rear elements are easy to remove with the right tools. For the front you normally need to remove the front name plate, some suggest a bath plug made of rubber for that, for the rear a lens spanner does the job.
I'll tell you more when my Tair 300A turns up and I can see how it was put together.
09-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #70
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Cheers matey, I'll give it a whirl and see what happens!
09-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Hmmm - no! My one doesn't look anything like yours - it's this one:

Apparently it's the "A version" which is slightly easier to focus!

It has 3 things to adjust, focus (which is quite near to the tripod hole), aperture settings towards the front (F this and that in clicks) and then some sort of aperture confirmation ring right in front of that. This confirmation ring allows stopping down - so basically I use it on fully manual. Ie guess then adjust.

In terms of focusing I actually find it easier to move myself forward than to adjust focus on the lens. It's very stiff - have you ever tried taking it apart to clean it up (mine has a hair inside, weird) and loosen this focus a bit? Any tips on this?

Other than that it's great fun!

This was another first for me, a moonshot (very very very hurried, don't look at the PP quality!) . I'm sure I could do better, if it's clear over the w/e I might make that this w/e project, see what I can get from it. I want to run some tests and see what various in-camera sharpness etc settings will do for me

Mine's exactly the same lens, and it's also very stiff to focus. Maybe it's a design problem because the pitch of the focusing thread is extremely steep - 60mm in one revolution ?
09-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #72
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Mine's exactly the same lens, and it's also very stiff to focus. Maybe it's a design problem because the pitch of the focusing thread is extremely steep - 60mm in one revolution ?
I don't know how stiff yours is but I've just loosened mine, it's not hard. I've never taken any lens before in my life so if I can do it I'm sure you can too . In terms of the difference before and after, it's an easy 2 finger operation again now, before it wasn't. At the camera end remove the 3 outermost screws. Remove thing (42 mm thread thing). then remove next 3, the tiny tiny ones which are just in from the bit you removed. Then remove the 3 on the ring parallel to and securing the mounting bracket. As you do note where each one fits so that you put them back in eaxactly the same hole when reassembling.

Once you're here you can expose the focussing thread, which is aliminium on the inside and had "38x" etched inside on mine. I cleaned it and all sorts of black,dark crud came off. I used WD40, sprayed it on, cleaned it off etc until there's no crud anymore. Focusing to infinity and to 2.2 a few times helps drive the crud down, then you spray & clean. Do that a few times. Then put back together.

Notes
  • blutack is very handy to get the screws back in the holes. Put screw on blutack tip to aim.
  • Torch is handy to see what you're doing
  • work on food tray so that if screw falls off it's safe
  • I used one of those cheap and cheerful jeweller's screwdriver sets, couldn't have done it without it

I wasn't brave enough to try cleaning the inside to remove that hair, if anyone figures out how to do that and what tools you need (some sort of suction cup thingie, where do you get those??) plz let me know!

Thx

Edit - for what it's worth, the screws that you're removing are pretty cheap and cheerful, and mine had oxidised a lot. I'm guessing that some of the crud that I removed was oxidisation flaking off and working its way inside to the focusing thread. Also, on the outermost ring, try just loosening those screws to take it off rather than removing them completely. In retrospect it should be possible, and will make putting it back on easier, especially if there's a set of marks you can use to line them up again. All in all about 30-60 minutes.

Last edited by Nass; 09-13-2009 at 12:20 PM.
09-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #73
Forum Member

hi lads i buy one sniper set for my self yesterday, i want to adapt a rifle grip to work with my pentax cameras / second grip what i have i will use with sigma af 400mm , next week i will be able to post some shots also
09-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Nass
thanks for that info', I'll have a go at that.

I'm a maintainence fitter by trade so mechanical things hold little fear for me. But I'm more used to sewage pumps and big spanners!

( I've had lenses apart before though. )
09-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Postman Pat has just delivered my 300A, stiff focussing ring as well. I suppose I should bore everyone with some test pics and no I didn't use a tripod but ook all these hand held.
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/september2009/slides/PICT6165.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/september2009/slides/PICT6143.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]