Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
You are the man! I never get around in converting mine to any form. I just use my lens without the gun stock, shame!

Hin
Thanks
The conversion isn't that difficult to do and it is definately worth it. This is a great lens as it is but if used the way it was intended with the stock it is even better. It really is easy to point and hold and having the aperture mechanism work the way it was designed to makes it a real joy to use.

09-21-2010, 02:16 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Any Nikon Users to share on T-mount in Nikon

I am parting this lens but I want to ask if there is any Nikonian kind soul who can confirm with me that M42 is no good in Nikon. And that the T-mount that I have in Photosniper Tair-3 can't be adapted to a Nikon AI mount or something similar.

Any taker? I love this lens but it will be of no use to me if M42 doesn't work in infinity focus in Nikon or if there is no metering support.

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 09-21-2010 at 12:39 PM.
09-21-2010, 04:35 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I am parting this lens but I want to ask if there is any Nikonian kind soul who can confirm with me that M42 is no good in Nikon. And that the TX mount that I have in Photosniper Tair-3 can't be adapted to a Nikon AI mount or something similar.

Any taker? I love this lens but it will be of no use to me if M42 doesn't work in infinity focus in Nikon or if there is no metering support.

Hin

Hi Hin

are you getting rid of the lens? or the whole kit? Im interested either way
09-21-2010, 06:05 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dude163 Quote
Hi Hin

are you getting rid of the lens? or the whole kit? Im interested either way
Yes, the whole kit is in marketplace. I won't sell until I can confirm my question. I will place it on hold until I find my answers. The lens is my baby, nobody touches it until I know for sure that I can't keep it.

I am hoping some kind soul who knows Nikon mount in AI and after can confirm with me if T-mount can be adapted to Nikon such as D300, D200, D7000. If it does, I want to further ask on metering and infinity focus.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 09-21-2010 at 12:39 PM.
09-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Hello Hin,
I would say yes you can put your T-mount Tair on a Nikon incl. infinity with something like this.
It seems that you will have less comfort with it on a Nikon than on your Pentax DSLR (but the higher-end Nikon cams can do metering AFAIK): Can a T2-mount lens be used on a Nikon D50? - Photo.net Nikon Forum

I do hope you stay around here with your highly informative threads which are entertaining at the same time. I always enjoyed reading them.

All the best,
Georg
09-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Hello Hin,
I would say yes you can put your T-mount Tair on a Nikon incl. infinity with something like this.
It seems that you will have less comfort with it on a Nikon than on your Pentax DSLR (but the higher-end Nikon cams can do metering AFAIK): Can a T2-mount lens be used on a Nikon D50? - Photo.net Nikon Forum

I do hope you stay around here with your highly informative threads which are entertaining at the same time. I always enjoyed reading them.

All the best,
Georg
Thank you so much. That is the AI mount that I am looking for. I know that AI lenses are said to work on Nikon D7000, so I think I can use the Photosniper and no need to sell. This is useful link to me along with the links from farfisa. I mistype before the T-mount as Tx mount and I have since corrected the mistakes.

Thanks,
Hin
09-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
"On bodies with a flange focal distance greater than that of M42, most notably Nikon, three options are available. A simple mechanical adaptor allows the lens to be mounted, but the effect is similar to the introduction of an extension tube, reducing the minimum focus distance at the expense of losing infinity focus. Alternatively, an adaptor with an optical element can be used to retain the original focus range of the lens, at the expense of some image quality. Finally, it is possible to replace the M42 mount on some lenses with a Nikon F mount, or to perform the reverse change on a Nikon camera body. The latter process will, of course, render the camera unable to use the F-mount lenses it was originally designed for."
Hope this helps, Hin, and very sorry to see you go. I've been informed and entertained in equal measure by your posts. I don't condone "special treatment" for people with websites, but I do definitely think it's very underwhelming that there's no such thing as a temporary replacement service of some sort for people with bust stuff.

02-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Saw one of these at a car boot sale this morning - the guy wanted £15-20 for it... I am very tempted, however, the tripod mount thread appeared to be stripped... Also, it was filthy, I could see all kinds of gunk on the elements inside... Worth buying and cleaning? Anyone tried taking one apart?
02-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
Saw one of these at a car boot sale this morning - the guy wanted £15-20 for it... I am very tempted, however, the tripod mount thread appeared to be stripped... Also, it was filthy, I could see all kinds of gunk on the elements inside... Worth buying and cleaning? Anyone tried taking one apart?
For that price, I'd snap it up and get it professionally cleaned or do it myself. There are a lot of discussions about this lens on the web and you are bound to find one that shows how to dismantle one.
02-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
For that price, I'd snap it up and get it professionally cleaned or do it myself. There are a lot of discussions about this lens on the web and you are bound to find one that shows how to dismantle one.
Yes... Just hope he's still got it next week...
10-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #101
Pentaxian

Forgive resurrecting an old thread but !
Recently scored an unused Fotosnaiper with the full kit, Helios 44/6 and all
Not the sexy grey 300 one but hey
It can be fast to use, the Monarch was there for about 3 seconds

Chased it around til it alighted once more.
Both wide open

The funky focusing knob was really tight with lumpy racking, pulled it apart for a lube and easing.
Much better now.

(K50/1.2 @ f2)

Pete

Last edited by Transit; 10-29-2012 at 04:50 PM.
03-31-2013, 07:13 AM   #102

I have a question

I have bought the photosniper kit and the 300mm lens was my first lens after I acquired my K30.
Does anybody knows the reason that diafragm operates the way it does?
I mean when it is wide open and I put it in f8 then it stays wide open until i take the shot.
Does it make any sort of 3d effect in the image?
I really liked the results of this lens and I want to use this feature if it really gives something to the image.
12-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #103

Hi everyone,
I just got this Tair 3 lens along with 500mm 3m/6a mirror and am very pleased with it...I have one issue though...
I dont mind preset aperture as I have quite a bit of lenses operating the same way but on this lens it operates kind of funny and I think it may have some sort of problem/fault.
If i got it right I have to set aperture ring to desired value, cock the ring with red button to achieve full aperture opening and when I push lever beneath the lens it recoils and goes to selected aperture value...right? Right!
Problem is I can do that only on distances from 10 meters to infinity. When the lens is set to anything lower than that (3-10 meters) I cant achieve recoil action as the red button ring does not click and it does not open aperture fully ... To clarify further ...when lens is set to 10 meters and further I can feel stifness and tension of the coil ring but set lower than 10 meters it feels kind of loose and kind of "skips" or starts coiling not from the moment when I start rotating it but somewhere in the middle of circle to the end where it should click and recoil.
So if I want full aperture openng at below 10 meters I have to set the lens to 10 meters and above and then cock the ring and then return lens to below 10 meters and shoot wide open.
I wonder if position of the lens barrel is influencing somehow and making it behave that way or coil is loose or whatnot ... I have the tools, I just dont want to reassemble it and make thins worse before checking with someone who has done it...
So any info would help
Cheers guys.
Thanks
Mark
12-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #104
Pentaxian

Hi Mark.
I sold my Fotosnaiper but spent quite a lot of time and effort with it
Your description of the process at the start is right. It came with the full pistol grip that actuated the stop down lever on shutter release.
The issue you mention of the stop down not actuating at close focus is not what I found.
It crashed closed at any focal distance
Have a look inside and see if something is hung up in there. It is very simple and robust
Pete
01-13-2014, 03:25 AM   #105
Veteran Member

I have just received my M42 mount Tair-3PhS, and it works wonderfully....however, it doesnt focus quite to infinity. Things at a far distance will be in focus if I have set the lens focus as close to infinity as it will go, but if I aim at the moon for example, it not focused quite to infinity as that is OOF. Turning the focus knob back the other way reduces the focus of the moon, so its definitely not quite getting there, but is getting close. I can post an image if that helps

I followed this guide as much as I could to disassemble

Tair-3 (300/4.5 part of the photosniper) repair guide

Which has led me to this point, I have adjusted the "Infinity Lock" as that guide calls it, to ensure it is not touching the lens tube with the focus knob at maximum infinity rotation, but the problem still exists. The focus knob itself is not an issue as it rotates freely with the lens block removed. I have also removed and reinstalled the T2>M42 mount that is part of the lens to ensure it was seated correctly. I can't work out what else I can do to move infinity focus. Does anyone have any ideas?

It appears that the primary lens block is hitting a stop inside the lens tube, but I can't work out which (none look adjustable anyway).

Last edited by jezza323; 01-13-2014 at 03:33 AM.