Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by estudleon Quote
I'm convinced, the tair 300 will be my long lens. I really like the pics posted here.

Rino.
Thanks for the comment, please note all the caveats that I am working on with the lens such as the heavy weight, long length, difficulty in usage and the potential risk in working with M42 mount that does not cover the K mount locking pin and electrical contacts.

Summaries of caveats and how I deal with them
  • Lens is heavy at 3.5lb/1.6Kg, length is bigger than 9.5 inches without the lens hood
    -- extreme caution, patience and practice
    -- genuine M42 mount recommended
    -- tripod & mono-pod
  • My copy comes in T mount with adapter to M42. The default T->M42 adapter doesn't cover electrical contacts and the K mount locking pin.
    -- I replaced mine with a better T->M42 adapter which has a bigger base large enough to cover K mount locking pin and electrical contacts
    --
  • default tripod nut not compatible
    -- you need a conversion nut, something to do with 1/4" <-> 3/8", I don't remember the order
    --
  • unable to confirm focus at f/8.0 and smaller
    -- I default to use the preset red knob and cock it wide open and then manual focus
    -- I use diaphragm release bar to do the stop down when necessary, tripod or the gun stock will help
  • inability to focus trap or use with F-1.7x AF TC
    -- I use foil to get it working
    --
  • Can't focus after stop down
    -- I modified AF button to cancel AF
    -- After focus confirmation, I hit AF and shutter to bypass the 2nd AF
    -- essentially no AF after stop-down

I will update the above list as I remember them and I will do my part in working out all the pitfalls .

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 04-30-2009 at 04:34 PM.
04-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ones spotted on fleabay are for the Kiev 88TTL mount which I'm researching conversion options to suit Pentax mounts. So far the conversion options have been zilch.
04-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hin,
I am a late-comer to this thread, but am really impressed by what you have already done with this lens. I especially like the photo below...Great work!

Steve
04-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Steve,

The lens, though very difficult and dangerous to use, can produce pictures with great color and bokeh. I think many good attributes comes from its 16 blades and the top notch focusing dial that I have not seen in another lens. Though I shot few test shots on birds, I can't use it easily on birds without the use of tripods/mono-pod, I sometime go for the bokeh and less challenging objects or when the bird is not moving

Last edited by hinman; 04-21-2009 at 10:21 PM.
04-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Hin, you might want to read this brief history on the Tair 3. Your while and olive versions may well be ex military issues.
ACP - FS-12
04-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
Hin, you might want to read this brief history on the Tair 3. Your while and olive versions may well be ex military issues.
ACP - FS-12
Yes, I saw that link in depth before. I now have two white copies and one of them is in marketplace as you know. And my 3rd copy in Tair-3S that come as a Zenit FS-12 package is coming from Czech Republic similar to your link. My LBA on this thing is full brown.

The white copy in Tair-3 PhS 300mm f/4.5 is the previous version that go with Zenit FS-3 where the later copy are Tair-3S 300mm f/4.5 in black. The white one is much rarer than the black one. Whether they are the same, I am not sure. Even the gun stock seems a bit different. They may be the same optically. I should be able to tell when my Zenit FS-12 arrives.

Thanks,
Hin
04-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My 1st copy of Photosniper without the gun stock is going to my friend FotoPete. And currently I am using my 2nd copy with the gun stock. My 3rd copy in a complete package with Zenit FS-12 is yet to come. Both of my 1st and 2nd copies are part of Zenit FS-3 packages, an earlier version.

I expect similar working between Tair-3 PhS 300mm f/4.5 and Tair-3S 300mm f/4.5. I would be delighted it is lighter, but all of my research and answers from other owners indicate that both Tair-3 PhS and Tair 3-S are the same and weigh the same. I will update when my copy of Tair-3S arrives.

I am going to test out the gun-stock in a day or two, I found a remote place without much people. And my plannings are:
  • A big sticker for "Photo Only" next to my gun stock
  • Another poster with "Photo Only" hanging in my tripod
  • Use of wireless remote attached to lens barrel to work with trigger
  • SR off
  • may try the F-1.7x in the combo to get to 510mm with AF

And I found in the Accessories thread that the Agonic Stabilizer is sharing similar idea to the Photosniper. I think the idea in stabilizing a shot is working quite effectively in panning moving object while having some support similar to a tripod but not having the burden of a full size tripod.

from Thumper473 in Field Accessories Thread

I will report back how it works. As far as I can imagine, it will be practically impossible to use the gun stock as I can only fire the shutter once as I need to re-cock to gain focus in wide aperture, unless I shoot all in wide open apertures.

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 04-30-2009 at 04:40 PM.
05-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #53
Veteran Member

First off I would like to thank Hin for selling one of his for a darn good price.

I had a K-Mount Adapter from my Rokinon 500/6.3 so I unscrewed the T-M42 ring and switched it for a Kmount one which makes it so much easier to use with other K-mount lenses.

All photos taken at f4.5

The weight destroying my back aside, its a helluva great lens to use, sharp and contrasty!

Thanks Again Hin!
Pete,

Last edited by FotoPete; 05-07-2009 at 09:03 PM.
05-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pete,

You have wonderful test pictures. And I have got to find your T mount adapter for K mount. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am a bit worried that you may dislike the lens. I love it but there are times that I hate it.

The great pictures makes up a bunch for the frustrations. I especially like its bokeh and color. It is a charming lens. I have good companion now to share the wrist, neck and back pain.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 05-07-2009 at 10:42 PM.
05-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Haha Hin, yea its the standard T-Mount for Pentax K and you just do the same thing you did with the M42 version.

Oh it takes alot for me to hate a lens. Well..maybe some of the AF/digital models where there've been too many compromises..but lenses like wine/conquac, the older the better.

The Tair-3 is a heavy sucker but its one grey goose martini for all the White Glass, Red (L)ines I gotta put up with.
05-08-2009, 03:38 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pete,

Those images are fantastic....
05-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pete,

I keep going back to look at the squirrel and bird picture. They are very good. Shooting animal in dark color has always been a problem for me. I especially love the background and tree trunk, the expression in the squirrel is darn cute.

I need to find the T mount for K as I only have the T mount for M42. The other advantage in K mount will be more sturdy mounting on the the body without the need of the M42 adapter. The sheer weight of the lens can be taxing on the M42 adapter.

When you shoot in K mount, do you have problems focusing in f/8.0 and smaller. I can only obtain focus confirmation when I have aperture in f/5.6, f/4.5 or when I cock on the preset red knob to wide open, likely f/4.0 as diaphragm wider than f/4.5.

Thanks again for sharing the information and pictures.

Hin
05-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Hmm I've not tried shooting the Tair or any of my long teles stopped down before. Or at least not very frequently.

But you are right there is certainly a degree of difficulty focusing even with the split screen that I have as small animals can be quite skitish and often in very uniform backgrounds, dark furred animals, shaded areas. (hard to line up the focus precisely)

One method I've tried (this should work even with the regular matte screens is to use the DOF as a cue especially if the animal/bird is on a flat plane. As you turn the focus ring, you can see the band of DOF move to and from on the ground. (kinda like testing focus on a ruler/BF FF chart in principle) Move it so that the bird or the squirrel falls within it and snap the pic. With trees, in air, this technique fails but is another useful one to consider for on the ground tele/macro.
09-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by XATN3q Quote
can anybody here explain the firing mechanism of a novoflex on the film SLR and DSLR for me, thanks alot
I can only speak of the later version, the Pigriff-C.
There's a button on the front handle, which gives you a choice of cable operation or electrical. The cable simply screws into the rear of the grip, or the electrical connection is available at the rear of the complete assembly, via a 2.5mm jack socket.
Simply turn the button horizontal or vertical to avail of which mode you want.
09-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
There is (or at least were) certainly K mount's for Novoflex, though it is some 20 years since I tried one myself. No I don't own one, unfortunately. Was bidding on one a while ago, but it went to far up for my taste.
I had difficulty finding a K-mount for my Novoflex, so settled for an M42 adapter, a COA, only cost around 20Euros, iirc. Suited me, as I have several M42 lenses and adapters already. New ones are about 140Euros, no contest.