Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2009, 04:30 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
Postman Pat has just delivered my 300A, stiff focussing ring as well. I suppose I should bore everyone with some test pics and no I didn't use a tripod but ook all these hand held.
thank you for sharing. Yours and the few before you really have a differnent lens than my and Fotopete, can any of you post a good product shots on the following area
  • front of lens with exact wording on model number and serial number if any
  • the focus knob underneath of the focus ring
  • mount as in T-mount on the back or the m42 adapted to the T mount
  • a shot on the lens blade and diaphragm from front to count blades and see the circular opening. My product shots are all over the pages, please browse to page 1,2 and 3 for my product shots

I shot a 600mm from a 300mm + a 2x TC in the lens forum and ask a bunch to think of the combination in Hin's Camera Gear

straight from the 600mm gig, no post processing

pentax f* 300mm f/4.5 + tokina/kenko 2x teleplus mc7 tc

A few guessed on my Photosniper Tair-3 Phs 300mm f/4.5 with Kiron 2x TC. And FotoPete, another Tair-3 Phs 300mm f/4.5 owner whom I sold my 1st identical Ivoery/white copy, got it right with my F* 300mm f/4.5 and Tokin 2x AF Teleplus MC7. The tair-3 will be too difficult to hand hold for a 2x TC for a 600mm shot. I would try next when I found the arms strength and a monopod for assistance.

Thanks,
Hin

09-24-2009, 05:28 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
aperture = 16 leaves

My one doesn't come with the fetching sniper or toilet plunger attachments:

If any of you guys figure out how to take the front element off to give it a clean let me know

Last edited by Nass; 09-24-2009 at 10:35 AM.
09-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Please use [ imgwide ] to enclose your large image so that it is easier to view. It is sad to hear about the stiff focusing ring as the Tair-3 Phs 300mm f/4.5 that few here like my 2 copies have silky smooth operation, you have to use it in person to appreciate the focusing knob.

P.S. I am using [ imgwide ] and [ backslach imgwide] to enclose the larger image. Click to see the larger size is provide with that particular imgwide PF editing codes.

Thanks,
Hin
09-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Thanks, I didn't know about imgwide

How about lighter fuel?

Found these instructions for taking it apart

Looks like there's yet another variant around, for the sov army this time.

Last edited by Nass; 09-24-2009 at 10:55 AM.
09-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Thanks, I didn't know about imgwide

How about lighter fuel?

Found these instructions for taking it apart

Looks like there's yet another variant around, for the sov army this time.
Lighter fluid is a often used cleaning fluid for small mechanical gears, like in large format shutters. But I must say, it is only a last resort, if you can't disassemble a device (which is regularily a problem with shutters, as reassembling those needs strong nerves and older ones can easily be ruined). In a lens, I never would use it. The problem is, that it evaporates not fast enough. If is dissolves some old grease it could easily penetrate through the mechanics and deposit the grease residue on the lenses, which is highly undesirable...

It is on the other hand useful, to clean the disassembled mechanical parts thoroughly piece by piece, because it easily dissolves old grease.

Ben
09-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Hin, my Tair 300A looks pretty much the same as Nass's.
Those posted disassembly instructions seem a bit of a pain with the make special spanner etc. It looks like part of the focussing thread can be accessed from the rear of the lens. I might try cleaning that first before any strip down.
Anyway I've got my plastic cat littler tray ready as a work bench should I need to take things apart and avoid losing screws.
09-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
Hin, my Tair 300A looks pretty much the same as Nass's.
Those posted disassembly instructions seem a bit of a pain with the make special spanner etc. It looks like part of the focussing thread can be accessed from the rear of the lens. I might try cleaning that first before any strip down.
Anyway I've got my plastic cat littler tray ready as a work bench should I need to take things apart and avoid losing screws.
Yeah, it's easy, 3 sets of screws on the M42 end and you'll expose it. Mine's less stiff than it was but still pretty stiff (though maybe I'm spoiled with modern lenses), and I've got ... spots inside the lens, this must be fungus I guess. Hence I want to get inside and clean it!

09-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Which elements are they on?
The front element should be easy enough to get to, remove name plate, and use a lens spanner for the retaining ring. Some suggest a bath plug for removing the name plate. I purchased a rubber tool kit to match a few lens rim sizes. The best spanners I've come across for the job are sold on the MFLENSES.com webshop. With your way of accessing the focussing mechanism I'd say that will get you to the rear elements as well, once again a job for a lens spanner to remove the lenses.
01-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #84
Veteran Member

I came across these things a few year ago and have had the idea of getting one nagging at the back mind ever since. I have just brought one as a late christmas present to myself and can't wait untill it arrives. I used to do quite a bit of rifle shooting so the idea of using the stock for steadying the lens is quite appealing.
I got a rather tatty copy of the early gray ones that were supplied without a camera so it will be T mount rather than M42 lens.
Did anyone get anywhere with the modification to add an electrical contact to the trigger mechanism to fire camera?
01-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #85
Veteran Member

My photosniper outfit turned up in less than brilliant but quite usable condition. The lens looks rather batterd and is missing quite a bit of paint but it is fine mechanically (given that it it built like a tank I guess it would take a lot to do any serious damage). It had quite extensive fungus on most of the optical surfaces but this is not really supprising given its age. It was remagkably easy to dismantle the lens and clean up the optics and now it is spotless.

I had a look at the trigger and it turned out to be quite simple to ad a couple of switches to operate my DSLR. The trigger is now a 3 stage unit:
A gentle squeez engages the camera metering and the AF sensor - quite usefull for focus confirm,
Ther second and firmer squeez releases the pre set aperture allowing the lens to stop down as per the original,
The final squeez releases the shutter and takes the shot.
The modified trigger mechanism is shown in the last photo where the two added switches can be seen. The stock workes very effectively in supporting the lens and aiding accurate pointing, especially if you have some experience of rifle shooting.

I am very impressed with the image quality this old, simple 3 element lens achieves. It is remarkably sharp and contrasty (especially given the very simple coatings it has) and is a joy to use. The following are some of my first photos from the cleaned and modified photosniper setup.

User Photo Gallery - Nature

User Photo Gallery - Nature
Attached Images

01-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #86

Interesting lens!

An interesting lens! Looks almost as cool as the white Canon zooms! The Canons seem to have a better bokeh and colors though.

Regards,
Danko
01-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #87

sorry for mentioning Canon

Sorry Pentaxians, sorry Vasilii for mentioning Canon - it's just that I swithed to it recently hut have been a loyal Pentax used for 3 years. The images posted here are very impressive - it is remarkable that lens made so many years ago can still compete with the best kit lens today.

Danko
02-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #88

Swift Telemaster telephoto adapter

Hi newby on here, I just been reading some comments about the m42 adapter for the Tair-3 300mm lens i have one of these and didnt like the mount (m42) so i was looking thru my stuff and found a Swift Telemaster telephoto adapter, Which i uesd on a telescope its like an extension tube, At one end it take M42 thred T-PS and the other end is pentax mount (Both ends will unscrew off the telemaster so id be left with a T-mount with PK-Mount), So i unscrewed the m42 mount on the tairs lens and unscred the mount end of the adapter i have, There was a ring in the middle which was held in with screws (Just like on the lens) i took the ring out and it fit the Tairs lens perfect, So i screwed the adapter onto the lens and now its Pentax mount and no contacts showing on the camera, Sorry to go on a bit.
BTW I can focus to infinity with this adapter atached.
Cheers Pete
02-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Following a request from a forum member, I have added some detail of the conversion of the trigger on the photosniper to operate the shutter on a DSLR. As this is not strictly anything to do with the lens I have put it here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/50945-diy-make-cable-release-...tml#post927639
02-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MattGunn Quote
Following a request from a forum member, I have added some detail of the conversion of the trigger on the photosniper to operate the shutter on a DSLR. As this is not strictly anything to do with the lens I have put it here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/50945-diy-make-cable-release-...tml#post927639
You are the man! I never get around in converting mine to any form. I just use my lens without the gun stock, shame!

Hin