Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA35 Limited Macro - a really nice lens!!

And that's just the build quality and feel!!

I recently purchased the DA35 Macro due to the sudden price increases and my sudden need for a slightly-wider-than-the-DA40 Limited lens (for my shooting style). Luckily, I got one of the last ones before the price shot up by about another 48%!!

First, I didn't realize how useful having macro AND normal in one lens was until I started taking pictures today. Talk about versatility!

Secondly, the image quality (As per the other Limiteds) is beyond excellent.

Third, I find the DA40 Limited to be a slightly "pre-cropped" FOV. Having the DA35 sort of fixes that with a slightly wider FOV.

In short, this lens has been great so far!! Will try it out on some portraiture-style photoshoots soon!

Cons? Not as fast focusing as DA40 (due to more focusing range due to the macro capability). Quite a bit larger than the Pancakes, but still a nice light lens. Overall, I'm really really starting to like this lens.

04-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #2

Since my FA35mm is one of my most used lenses I considered buying the DA35mm, I also enjoy shooting macro so it would probably be a excellent choice for me too, but then I should sell my FA35mm and I dont know if I could say goodbye to such a great lens.

Maybe I should try it...
04-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine should be here any day now. I'm looking forward to it.
04-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
Forum Member

It's definitely my favorite lens -- great IQ and great versatility due to the focusing range. Congrats on getting it while it was still cheap!

04-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There must be something in the air... I just posted my user review of the DA 35mm Macro on my blog this afternoon. After living with it for a couple of weeks I determined that it is an excellent macro lens but only an OK every day wide angle (normal equiv) for me. My advice, buy the DA 35mm Macro for what it is designed to do (macro shooting) and pick up either an FA 35mm f/2 or a DA 40mm f/2.8 for your day-to-day plinking around. My FA 35 arrived Thursday
04-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

nice review, and it really seems to be a nice lens indeed...
shame I already have 31 and 40 ltds.... I simply don't think I could justify any 35mm lens at the moment, unless I wouldn't win one

BR
04-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
nice review, and it really seems to be a nice lens indeed...
shame I already have 31 and 40 ltds.... I simply don't think I could justify any 35mm lens at the moment, unless I wouldn't win one

BR
Can your 31 or 40 can do this?

04-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

possibly not,
but that's not the kind of photography I'm into. And buying lens with FOV right between two of my best lenses just because it has feature I'd use maybe 5x a year.... I don't know.
I really appreciate the fast AF on my DA40 and f1.8 with great FOV on 31...

and your 35 can't do neither...
BR
04-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
possibly not,
but that's not the kind of photography I'm into. And buying lens with FOV right between two of my best lenses just because it has feature I'd use maybe 5x a year.... I don't know.
I really appreciate the fast AF on my DA40 and f1.8 with great FOV on 31...

and your 35 can't do neither...
BR
So I guess it's not for you

BTW, the 35 Macro isn't for me either. It was just a loaner. I bought an FA 35mm f/2 instead. And it is fast (in both senses of the word). Of course, I'd rather have the 31 & 40 you have but that's over a thousand bucks...
04-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the review, I agree with most of the comments, however the DA 35 does include a lens hood, it is just built in to the lens and pulls out and retracts as you need it. I agree with the clunkiness of the lens cap. I put mine away in the box and bought a 49 mm squeeze cap for every day use.

All in all, I think the DA 35 is the sharpest lens I own. It is definitely a slow focusing lens. I wouldn't use it for portraiture (although I have used it for static landscape type subjects). On the other hand, it is a sweet lens to manual focus due to its throw. Truthfully, I don't use auto focus for macro shots and the manual focus does quite well.
04-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

With all the accolades I wonder why the one in Marketplace hasn't gone yet after days.
Is it the asking price? I thought it's very reasonable.
04-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmmmmm...??

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
I just posted my user review of the DA 35mm Macro on my blog this afternoon. After living with it for a couple of weeks...
Pentax describes the hood as a 'built-n, pull-out type'. Given the amount of time with the lens, how could that point be missed?

Also, in the report, you mention the lens was dropped by a friend prior to its evaluation. Is it possible your observations may be based on a damaged lens?

04-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Pentax describes the hood as a 'built-n, pull-out type'. Given the amount of time with the lens, how could that point be missed?

Also, in the report, you mention the lens was dropped by a friend prior to its evaluation. Is it possible your observations may be based on a damaged lens?

The only thing it seems the dropping did was render the pull out lens hood useless. At least I guess so since I never realized there was a pull out hood...
Perhaps it had been removed? I will look into it.
04-05-2009, 04:20 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Question...

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
...I will look into it.
Given that parts of your "review" may be suspect , don't you feel it should be removed to keep from misleading future readers?
04-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Here's some more of DA35mm from my screwed vision: