Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sigma APO 400mm 5.6 Manual Focus

I am considering buying this lens. Does anyone have information they can provide on it? I know nothing about it, in fact, I have never even owned a Sigma lens. I have nothing against Sigma, just the right opportunity has not come along for me yet--perhaps this is it. I would appreciate any info on this lens. Thanks.

04-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the Sigma 400mm APO manual focus. Here is a discussion that I posted to before:
Info on 400mm Sigma APO telephoto lens - PentaxForums.com

I got it with a package deal of a K1000, Sigma 24mm SuperWide and bag. I have been very happy with the lens.

I just had the lens out yesterday. Here is a updated link to some photos taken with the lens(all taken hand-held): Flickr: 7.62lew's stuff tagged with 400mm
04-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
I have the Sigma 400mm APO manual focus. Here is a discussion that I posted to before:

I got it with a package deal of a K1000, Sigma 24mm SuperWide and bag. I have been very happy with the lens.

I just had the lens out yesterday. Here is a updated link to some photos taken with the lens(all taken hand-held): Flickr: 7.62lew's stuff tagged with 400mm
Wow, those are really nice shots! I'm impressed.
04-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I owned a manual sigma 400mm f.56 apo macro lens. very good image quality. I only sold it to buy the pentax f*300mm f4.5. You will not be disappointed it it is the macro version. the non macro is not as good. I'm still looking for an auto-focus version of the 400.

Last edited by ivoire; 04-05-2009 at 02:19 PM.
04-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
7.62lew I have the Sigma 400mm APO manual focus. Here is a discussion that I posted to before:

Well, I bought the lens and your pics played a key role in my decision. Thank you, very much for all the help. I am excited about shooting with this lens. The forum link has some information which is a bit hostile to my choice, but I am hoping my lens has none of these issues.

QuoteQuote:
ivoire I owned a manual sigma 400mm f.56 apo macro lens. very good image quality. I only sold it to buy the pentax f*300mm f4.5. You will not be disappointed it it is the macro version. the non macro is not as good. I'm still looking for an auto-focus version of the 400.
Ivoire, thank you very much, your opinion was also a key in my choice to buy. It sure is great to have help making these decisions.
04-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Jewel, I'm assuming you just won a pentax k-mount lens package that ended on ebay a little bit ago. If that was you, you outbid me by $2.50!! ugh You'll have to let me know how it works, and if you can get the stickiness off
04-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
arpaagent Jewel, I'm assuming you just won a pentax k-mount lens package that ended on ebay a little bit ago. If that was you, you outbid me by $2.50!! ugh You'll have to let me know how it works, and if you can get the stickiness off
It is not usually good to assume, but in this case you are correct. I do hope to eliminate the stickiness issue--
04-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Post a few pics when it arrives

04-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
ivoire Post a few pics when it arrives
Will do, gladly.
04-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
arpaagent: Jewel, I'm assuming you just won a pentax k-mount lens package that ended on ebay a little bit ago. If that was you, you outbid me by $2.50!! ugh
I know the feeling--usually I'm on the end you just experienced. Hopefully, you will have it made up to you at an Ebay auction soon. Best!
04-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
ivoire Post a few pics when it arrives
QuoteQuote:
arpaagent Jewel, I'm assuming you just won a pentax k-mount lens package that ended on ebay a little bit ago. If that was you, you outbid me by $2.50!! ugh You'll have to let me know how it works, and if you can get the stickiness off
The lens arrived earlier this week. The stickiness was not a problem, and I'm pretty sure removing it was doable, if only the lens was worth it. My shots with the lens proved very disappointing: the pics were void of contrast and were badly washed out--hazy looking. I have never seen pics this bad. So I took off each end cap and held the lens up to the sun.--voilą, the inner front element was speckled with hundreds of white dots of varying sizes--bizarre looking sight. This is not dust though. I have read the lens is vulnerable to glue leaking onto the front element, though this really did not look like glue. It looked more like someone sprayed something out of a can onto the glass. Not that this matters much, but the lens was very sharp--that much I could discern from the pics. I would not hesitate to pick up a good copy of this lens.

I notified the seller and, luckily, we have worked something out. Ebay can be a big adventure at times.
04-16-2009, 12:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Your description either sounds like fogging of the lens element or element separation. It will get worse and basically the lens is junk. Sigma lenses seem to have this problem in warm environments. I have a couple of old Sigma lenses that show the same issue.
04-16-2009, 12:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Creampuff: Your description either sounds like fogging of the lens element or element separation. It will get worse and basically the lens is junk. Sigma lenses seem to have this problem in warm environments.
What a shame--thanks for your input--it confirms my suspicions--the lens went back today. It was my first Sigma lens--ownership lasted about 2 days. Seller claimed lens was fine, that is took nice pics.
04-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Good to hear the seller was a responsible individual. This is the first I've heard of such a problem with sigma lenses. The one I owned was purchased used and produced very good images. If you want a long lens, I suggest the f/fa/da*300mm lenses. Save for a while longer and pick one up. A less expensive option is the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 and a tc. Using it with a tc will produce images as good as the 400mm, better without the tc and give you a lot of versatility.
04-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
ivoire Good to hear the seller was a responsible individual. This is the first I've heard of such a problem with sigma lenses. The one I owned was purchased used and produced very good images. If you want a long lens, I suggest the f/fa/da*300mm lenses. Save for a while longer and pick one up. A less expensive option is the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 and a tc. Using it with a tc will produce images as good as the 400mm, better without the tc and give you a lot of versatility.
Thanks for the advice. I rarely shoot @ 400mm, so I am not going to invest, at least not now, in getting quality at that focal length. I have read and seen a lot of good stuff about the Tammy 70-200 and would love to buy it--perhaps someday. Right now, I have other priorities.

QuoteQuote:
ivoire Good to hear the seller was a responsible individual. This is the first I've heard of such a problem with sigma lenses

Apparently, this problem is common and unique to this Sigma lens. I knew I was taking some risk, but it all worked out okay. I met a few happy owners of the Sig 400, but there are at least as many unhappy ones. The good people over at Manual Focus forums seriously warned me about this lens. There is info here:

Manual Focus Forum / Sigma APO 400mm f 5.6 Manual Focus lens